Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

pet owners - what do you do when you go out of town?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-20-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

particularly cat owners. ill be gone for 4 days. id like to give him extra food, water and a clean litter box right before i go but i dont that would last 4 days. and i dont want to take him one of those places where you leave your pet and they will watch him (kennel?).

what do you guys do?
Old 12-20-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Up to 5 days, we leave him by himself. He's fine.

Some people's cats eat everything in front of them until it's gone, though, so that's not an option for all. Ours doesn't.
Old 12-20-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just have a fish. I put him in a big jar full of water and leave him at my parents' house. (might not work for your cat though )
Old 12-20-05, 03:46 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have one of the neighborhood kids come in and check on the cat once a day. It only takes 5 minutes to refill the food and water bowls and make sure things are fine.
Old 12-20-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If your cat has some self control, you can probably leave him or her alone for 4 days with a clean litter box, a big bowl of food, and a big bowl of water. That only works if your cat isn't the type who will eat all of the food on the first day.

If not, hire a pet sitter to come in once a day to feed and play with the cat. Your vet may be able to recommend someone, or if there's a kid around the neighborhood you trust, go with that. Heck, if you've got a friend who lives nearby, they may do it for free.

I recommend against kennels, as they tend to be breeding grounds for communicable diseases.
Old 12-20-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

leave out food and water, clean the box before you go. if they have claws and tear shit up it might be different and should kennelize the cat
Old 12-20-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Our cat will crap on the floor if his box gets too full, so we have my mom (who lives nearby) check on him. The dog gets boarded.
Old 12-20-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You people should not own pets.
Old 12-20-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scottall
You people should not own pets.
Care to expand on that, or are you just trolling?
Old 12-20-05, 03:57 PM
Enormous Genitals

OWNING PETS IS SELFISH AND CRUEL AND JUST ENSLAVES THE ANIMAL.

So there.
Old 12-20-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in the same spot too. My cat won't eat everything in site (she'll actually most likely eat less without me there), but I'll be leaving her home for 4 1/2 days over the holidays. I'm just going to try and leave her as much food as possible, and hope she doesnt piss anywhere she's not supposed to (had that happen before, cat piss smells BAD). (note: I cant do kennels as she hates leaving a house she knows, plus I dont like having strangers in my house, and my friends are outta town, so I'm outta options).
Old 12-20-05, 03:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We shoot them and then get replacements when we get back into town.
Old 12-20-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
They're cuter when they are kittens/puppies anyways
Old 12-20-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Mod note: kvrdave, posting from another user's account can get you banned. You have been warned.
Old 12-20-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
OWNING PETS IS SELFISH AND CRUEL AND JUST ENSLAVES THE ANIMAL. So there.
What about those of us who only obtain their pets from the Humane Society and places of the like? In places like this, the animal(s) is already enslaved, and in fact is pretty much on "death row." They're trapped in a cage with not a whole heckuva lot of room to roam. I like to think I'm liberating them.

So by doing this, I give them more room to roam, more lovin' per hour then they'd get in cages, and prolong their lives by a decade or more.

Wendersfan:

Brilliant!
Old 12-20-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

there is a no kill shelter in my area. i drop him off there as a lost dog. they dont put them for adoption for 2 weeks.

when i get back i go to the pound to claim my lost dog.

they feed him and everything!
Old 12-20-05, 04:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nevermind
They're cuter when they are kittens/puppies anyways
We have three cats. If we're only out of town for the weekend we leave extra food. If it's going to be longer than that, we have our neighbor come by and feed them.
Old 12-20-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I leave the house key with my across-the-hall neighbor who cleans out the poo poo and checks on my cats. However, my animals are high maintenance persians who get quickly upset when I'm away for more than 12-15 hours.

So they teach me a lesson by crapping on the carpet near my bed. You don't want to see me when I'm angry....
Old 12-20-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The worst thing our Siamese does when we leave him for days is unroll all the toilet paper off the rolls.
Old 12-20-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have two cats, and unfortunately they will eat all the food in the bowl within a day so when we're on vacation my wife's father comes over daily to feed, give them fresh water, and scoop out the poopies. Cats don't like change, so they're likely to be more upset about being stuck in a kennel than being home alone. They don't mind solitude.
I change the litter box the morning we leave and usually use more litter than normal. I change the box every 5 or 6 days and use a 20 lb. bag, but before vacation I will use an extra 10 lb bag as well.

One time, my father-in-law thought the cat got outside because she was hiding from him. So, he's walking around the neighborhood asking children if they've "seen his cat". I'm surprised he didn't get arrested.
Old 12-20-05, 04:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
One time, my father-in-law thought the cat got outside because she was hiding from him. So, he's walking around the neighborhood asking children if they've "seen his cat". I'm surprised he didn't get arrested.

Last week my wife and I were driving around looking for our cat and as we rolled slowly past a young boy she suggested that I stop, roll down the window and ask him if he's seen a cat. I replied that I didn't feel like getting arrested.
Old 12-20-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by nevermind
The worst thing our Siamese does when we leave him for days is unroll all the toilet paper off the rolls.
Sounds like my cat: she gives me a couple of days, then starts doing a series of what I call "civil disobedience actions": she VERY carefully bats things off the shelf one at a time so that I come back and find knick-knacks or books in a line on the floor, or she hides anything small that she can find, or she rearranges my bedside table. No real damage, just a little protest.

I also can leave my cat for up to five days with just lots and lots of dry food (all she eats), a couple of bowls of water (in case one gets knocked over), and a very clean litterbox... I could probably leave her for longer, but haven't ever tried. She's very low-maintenance.
Old 12-20-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Mod note: kvrdave, posting from another user's account can get you banned. You have been warned.
Old 12-20-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The dog visits his grandma when I go out of town. She spoils him with three walks a day and all the treats he can stand.

The reptiles and the fish just get to fend for themselves. Most of them don't need to eat more than once a week anyway.
Old 12-20-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never owned cats. Dogs and a chinchilla. I either board the dogs or pay a petsitter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.