Reload this Page >

NYC Transit Strike

Other Talk "Otterville"

NYC Transit Strike

Old 12-20-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Transit Strike

Who is being affected, and how much does it suck?

<i>MOD NOTE: Please use this thread to talk about personal experiences w/ the strike. Any news/info/updates should go here http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448797. For those of you who don't know we are trying to make an effort to tone down the rhetoric and upscale the level of conversation in the political forum. If you haven't visited it in awhile please take another look.

thanks
nemein</i>

Last edited by nemein; 12-20-05 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-20-05, 08:47 AM
Admin

Received 279 Likes on 181 Posts
It sucks pretty bad in this thread over here
Old 12-20-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

but seeing that thread requires going into the politics forum..
Old 12-20-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I was wondering why I didn't see any threads on it. Personally this can be a politics and an Other thread. Grumbling about unions can happen in the other thread. My friend is walking 2 hours to work.
Old 12-20-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
I was just watching it on the news and thanking GOD that I don't live in New York City... dang, two HOURS to walk to work?? I'll bet whole offices are calling in sick... and I don't blame them.
Old 12-20-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Well, I come in from Jersey via NJ Transit bus (not affected by strike) and the traffic was much lighter due to the 4 or more passenger restriction on cars. In fact, in what was truly one of the most bizarre scenes I've ever seen, there was not a single car at the Lincoln Tunnel toll plaza and entrance. It was completely deserted.

Once I got to the bus terminal, I knew many people stayed home as it was less crowded. Normally I would take the A,C or E train downtown to work, so I walked outside and there were about 500 people trying to get a cab. I walked from 40th and 8th to 32nd and 6th and got the PATH train (also unaffected by the strike) which took me to the World Trade Center station. The streets are also deserted down here, people walking in them.

I kind of like it, things are much quieter.

That said, I've noticed that less than half of our office is in as of 10:30am. Most of those who are here are from New Jersey, including my entire department. People who live in Queens, Brooklyn, upper Manhattan, Bronx, Long Island are having a horrible time getting in. Someone just called and said their bus has moved 2 blocks in 30 minutes. Others are walking 6+ miles.

I will probably leave at about 4:30 to make sure I make it to my bus in time.
Old 12-20-05, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
but seeing that thread requires going into the politics forum..
I recommend taking a look at it. We are trying to revamp the Political/News forum and IMHO it's worth another look.
Old 12-20-05, 09:58 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
I've to wait until 11AM to drive into town... So I'll be leaving in a few mins.. I'll keep you posted how bad it is!!!

On another note, which side are you on? MTA or Union?

I'm on the MTA's side: not only because I'm inconvenienced by the strike, but I don't think the MTA's offer is unreasonable. Everybody has to give up some of their benefits these days and I think an average MTA employee has NOTHING to complain.
Old 12-20-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RevLiver
Well, I come in from Jersey via NJ Transit bus (not affected by strike) and the traffic was much lighter due to the 4 or more passenger restriction on cars. In fact, in what was truly one of the most bizarre scenes I've ever seen, there was not a single car at the Lincoln Tunnel toll plaza and entrance. It was completely deserted.

Once I got to the bus terminal, I knew many people stayed home as it was less crowded. Normally I would take the A,C or E train downtown to work, so I walked outside and there were about 500 people trying to get a cab. I walked from 40th and 8th to 32nd and 6th and got the PATH train (also unaffected by the strike) which took me to the World Trade Center station. The streets are also deserted down here, people walking in them.

I kind of like it, things are much quieter.

That said, I've noticed that less than half of our office is in as of 10:30am. Most of those who are here are from New Jersey, including my entire department. People who live in Queens, Brooklyn, upper Manhattan, Bronx, Long Island are having a horrible time getting in. Someone just called and said their bus has moved 2 blocks in 30 minutes. Others are walking 6+ miles.

I will probably leave at about 4:30 to make sure I make it to my bus in time.

i hear you on that... i drove in from kearny at 7:02 and i got to work at 7:15.

the lincoln tunnel and the pulaski skyway looked deserted.....

Please keep the strike going....
Old 12-20-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gothamist is covering the strike pretty well

http://www.gothamist.com
Old 12-20-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The strike has officially screwed up my date for tonight (not to be confused/associated in any way with the gay shower sex in the politcal thread).
Old 12-20-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I live in Brooklyn, but work in midtown. I thought about biking in (an 8 mile ride - not too bad), but decided it was too fucking cold. I ended up paying a car service 25 bucks to take me to the Queens side of the Queensboro bridge, and from there I walked over the East River. I'm all for people getting a fair wage and the bennies they deserve, but man, this is a serious pain in my ass thus far. I can't afford the cab rides to and from work, and it's like zero degrees with the wind chill so walking and biking from Brooklyn aren't wonderful options. I probably could walk to work in about 3 hours. So far all of the transportation alternatives so far seem pretty crappy. I may bust out the bike tomorrow, but not before I bundle myself up like the Invisible Man.
Old 12-20-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

glad you didn't bike ride

i drove into long island city where i work and almost killed a few bikers along the way
Old 12-20-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just heard from my boss that they will cover any transpo expenses I incur coming and going from work during the strike. Not bad!
Old 12-20-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abranut
Just heard from my boss that they will cover any transpo expenses I incur coming and going from work during the strike. Not bad!
Charter a helicopter?
Old 12-20-05, 12:35 PM

I walked to Union Square with a co-worker and neighbor, and tried to hail a taxi until a spanish dude in a van offered to drive us all to midtown for $5 each! Definitely a deal, but I have no idea how I'm going to get home. I refuse to walk it, I hate the cold too much to walk it.
Old 12-20-05, 12:57 PM

I live in the Midwood section of Brooklyn (one mile south of Prospect Park). I had to be at a meeting in Nutley, NJ at 8 AM and then to work at Mount Sinai (98th and 5th) at Noon.

I left my house this morning at 5 AM and ran the 12 miles to the Upper West Side, where I met my friend who drove me to Nutley. We were only slightly delayed, getting there at 8:05 AM. I had crossed the Brooklyn Bridge at approximately 6 AM and it was mostly quiet (and dark, and WINDY, and COLD) at that point. Just the annoying news reporters huddled in their vans, mostly on the Manhattan side. I probably passed about a hundred walkers on the bridge.

On the trip back into Manhattan, we got to the Lincoln Tunnel entrance at 11:10 AM (ten minutes after they opened it up to all vehicles again) and sailed through with only the "normal" 20 minute delay.

My friend dropped me off at West End Ave and 96th and I walked across Central Park and made it here on time, at Noon.

The above posters are correct - traffic is much lighter due to the restrictions. I made it to everything on time today!

Thankfully I'm a marathon runner and I can handle doing 12 mile runs every day. However, if I have to make this a round-trip venture, running home tonight, I think I may be in trouble. Either that or I'll be in fantastic shape by the end of the week!
Old 12-20-05, 12:59 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Originally Posted by exm
I've to wait until 11AM to drive into town... So I'll be leaving in a few mins.. I'll keep you posted how bad it is!!!

On another note, which side are you on? MTA or Union?

I'm on the MTA's side: not only because I'm inconvenienced by the strike, but I don't think the MTA's offer is unreasonable. Everybody has to give up some of their benefits these days and I think an average MTA employee has NOTHING to complain.
I was at the Holland tunnel around 11:15AM. Traffic wasn't too bad, comparable to a morning rush hour I guess. Driving cross town (Canal Street) was also much, much better than I anticipated. Finally, crossing over the Williamsburg Bridge was pretty quick also. So, no problems here.

However, midtown traffic, FDR Dr, WS Highway and especially Jamaica Station (LIRR) are apparantly hell.
Old 12-20-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i got lucky with a failed meter today
Old 12-20-05, 01:04 PM
Banned

i work in chelsea...and I live in astoria. and my ass is at home today. I have zero idea of how i'm getting there if this keeps up. It's probably about a 2 1/2-3 hour walk from here.
I did it on 9/11 and did it again when the blackout hit. And that's when our offices were closer to queens.
I know about half my dept is there today. The people who live on LI have an easier way of getting there than I do. Everyone that's out is from SI, Bronx or queens. Brooklyn and LI are the easier areas.
Unfortunately I don't have a car and no one I know does.

From what I heard, one of the "higher ups" at my work is pissed that so many people stayed out AND that the people that were there were wearing sneakers. They sure as hell aren't reimbursing me for the money to get there either. Luckily I have a lot of vacation time.
Old 12-20-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

driving in would have been easier if the traffic lights would have been on the rush hour schedule instead of the weekend/middle of the day schedule
Old 12-20-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Neuman
I walked to Union Square with a co-worker and neighbor, and tried to hail a taxi until a spanish dude in a van offered to drive us all to midtown for $5 each! Definitely a deal, but I have no idea how I'm going to get home. I refuse to walk it, I hate the cold too much to walk it.
Now THAT's an enterprising fellow!

(haven't you learned about using descriptions YET?)
Old 12-20-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...a spanish dude in a van offered to drive us ...

isn't this how most Amber alerts start?
Old 12-20-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

a spanish dude in a van offered to drive us all to midtown for $5 each!

ME TOO!!!!
Old 12-20-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.