Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats with ebay and "confirmed addresses?"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-20-05, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand this whole thing about sellers only shipping to "confirmed addresses." On my PayPal account I have two addresses listed; one being linked to my credit card and a different one that is linked to my bank account. Reason for them being different? I'm in the Army and don't want to change the address of my credit card - which is my home of record.

So I recently won an auction on ebay and asked the seller to make sure and send it to my current address, which is in HI. Their reply stated they will only ship to a confirmed address. WTF?!?

Why does it matter? The payment was already made. As long as they have the money why do they care where the item gets shipped to?
Old 12-20-05, 06:49 AM
Suspended

It's for the seller's security. They just want to make sure they are sending to a real person, so they don't get ripped off. I'm sure if you email them and explain your situation, they will be glad to work it out with you.
Old 12-20-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the sellers that sell to my wife usually send to another address

I never budge.

what is the big deal about changing your CC address? I changed mine all the time in the army and never changed my home of record.
Old 12-20-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I changed my CC billing address online to my work address so that PayPal would have a "confirmed" address where I also want things shipped.
Old 12-20-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a part of Paypal's seller "protection". If the buyer pays by Paypal and later tries to do a chargeback, the seller is theoretically protected from losing the payment only if they shipped to a confirmed address and have prove of sending the item. So that's why some sellers (especially of higher priced items) will only ship to a confirmed address.
Old 12-20-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a crappy system, rossi46, where if you're stuck using a diffferent address for any of a variety of legit reasons maybe a quarter of the ebay sellers give you hassles.
Originally Posted by al_bundy
what is the big deal about changing your CC address?
What about buying things as gifts for others? What about apartment complexes where things *can't* be dropped off at the door? What about smaller banks and credit unions that can't or won't add extra addresses to your credit cards? It's a stupid system, period.

Last edited by adamblast; 12-20-05 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
It's a crappy system, rossi46, where if you're stuck using a diffferent address for any of a variety of legit reasons maybe a quarter of the ebay sellers give you hassles.
ebay sellers suck. (especially when they bid on their own auctions)
Old 12-20-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by adamblast
It's a crappy system, rossi46, where if you're stuck using a diffferent address for any of a variety of legit reasons maybe a quarter of the ebay sellers give you hassles.What about buying things as gifts for others? What about apartment complexes where things *can't* be dropped off at the door? What about smaller banks and credit unions that can't or won't add extra addresses to your credit cards? It's a stupid system, period.
a big business like amazon can afford good anti-fraud software and ammortize any losses over millions of customers. A small time ebay seller or someone selling old junk doesn't have that luxury. I haven't been ripped off yet, but I'm not about to risk losing my money.
Old 12-20-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only time I was nearly ripped off on EBay was when I was asked to ship to a non-confirmed address. I will never do that again.
Old 12-20-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's quite sad that eBay buyers force sellers to accept PayPal and yet have no idea how PayPal actually works

It was already mentioned earlier, but it's worth stating again...

If a buyer hasn't got a confirmed address, the seller can be ripped off. Just because a buyer has sent payment, doesn't mean the seller gets to keep it. If the payment is found out to be fraudulent at a much later date, PayPal will take the money back. The only way the seller can be protected against this is if he meets PayPal's security criteria, which includes shipping to confirmed addresses ONLY.

Sure PayPal's free and so easy and great for buyers. It's a pile of shit if you're a seller. Sellers only use it because they have no choice on eBay. For most (not all) items, if you don't take PayPal, you may as well not even bother listing.
Old 12-21-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
The only time I was nearly ripped off on EBay was when I was asked to ship to a non-confirmed address. I will never do that again.
the only time i was ripped off was when i used a non-confirmed address.

never again
Old 12-21-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

credit card companies have agreements with stores for similar security measures. Many retailers cut corners because they believe the extra business will outweigh any losses to fraud.

It can be done on a large scale, but not by someone who sells a few things here and there.
Old 12-21-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
the only time i was ripped off was when i used a non-confirmed address.

never again

Ditto.
Old 03-03-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What about shipping to foreign countries? I believe those addresses are never verified.

Also they have the deal about delivery confirmation or insurance being required. So what if I ship to Europe, etc. w/Global Express Parcel Post which includes insurance, but no confirmed address? Would I still be able to get ripped off by someone saying they didn't receive something?
Old 03-03-06, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
What about shipping to foreign countries? I believe those addresses are never verified.
If you're talking about PayPal verification, then I can tell you that some non-US do have it. UK is one example.

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Also they have the deal about delivery confirmation or insurance being required. So what if I ship to Europe, etc. w/Global Express Parcel Post which includes insurance, but no confirmed address? Would I still be able to get ripped off by someone saying they didn't receive something?
I'm not familiar with that service, but you need one which will confirm receipt at the other end (online) if you want to minimize the risk of PayPal taking money back from you afterwards because the buyer has complained.
Old 03-03-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should not have to change your primary address on a credit card to confirm a secondary shipping address. Most crecit card companies can add a secondary address to your account for the purposes of verification by vendors.

I switched my auctions to Paypal only, Confirmed Address only, Immediate Payment only with fixed prices, and I still sell as well as, if not better than, I used to. No more headaches of chasing people down for money, no worries about chargebacks.