Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The 15 Richest Fictional Characters - Forbes

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The 15 Richest Fictional Characters - Forbes

Old 12-15-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Really? I never watched Duck Tales, but it's cool that he was on that. I thought only Carl Barks fans would know that character.
Old 12-15-05, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
No Dr. Evil?
No kidding. That guy built a secret lair / base on the moon AND had himself cloned. Do you realize what kind of capital that would take?

Last edited by Green Jello; 12-15-05 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Green Jello
No kidding. That guy built a secret lair / base on the moon AND had himself cloned. Do you realize what kind of capital that would take?
Speaking of which, some of the Bond villains should be here
- the Moonraker dude and his fleet of space junk
- Auric Goldfinger
Old 12-15-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Really? I never watched Duck Tales, but it's cool that he was on that. I thought only Carl Barks fans would know that character.
Yep. One of the few recurring nemesises (is that a word? -hscratch-) for Scrooge & the gang.

I was actually reading that a lot of the characters were in the old strips, they had just been abandoned and they brought them back for the series.
Old 12-15-05, 01:22 PM

Posted by Green Jello: No kidding. That guy built a secret lair / base on the moon AND had himself cloned. Do you realize what kind of capital that would take?
Dr Evil: "One meeelion dollars!!"

Last edited by Cancer Man; 12-15-05 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No known species of reindeer can fly. But there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not completely rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.
There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. But since Santa doesn't appear to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average census rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each.
Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west, which seems logical. This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding, etc. This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second. A conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.
The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull ten times the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth.
353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecrafts re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake.The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.
Santa has to have magic powers. there cannot be any other explanation. if he has magic powers, why couldn't he create infinite wealth for himeself?
Old 12-15-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my only issue with Santa being on this list is that any kid who sees this list will now know that Santa is a fictional character.

way to ruin childhoods, Forbes!
Old 12-15-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
If a 10 year old kid is reading Forbes, he has long since abandoned the Santa Clause tradition.
Old 12-15-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Illinois Enema Bandit
Speaking of which, some of the Bond villains should be here
- the Moonraker dude and his fleet of space junk
- Auric Goldfinger
Goldfinger was on the 2002 version of the list.
Old 12-15-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
my only issue with Santa being on this list is that any kid who sees this list will now know that Santa is a fictional character.

way to ruin childhoods, Forbes!
Hey wait...those bastards....i'm going to send them a copy of miracle on 34th street.
Old 12-15-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it just me or did anyone else think Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne were wealthier? Not that this list is necessarily accurate to DC's current versions of characters since there's multiple versions of Lex and Bruce from both film and print. But when you see Batman Begins, and how the Waynes built mass transit and entire office buildings by themselves, that kind of capital is more than a few billion. Same with Luthor owning most of Metropolis in most of his incarnations, that would be like owning Manhattan.
Old 12-15-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here, I was suprise at Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor's fortune. I thought they are MUCH wealthier than the BS list.
Old 12-15-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Dr. Doom? What about Mr. Fantastic? With all the stuff he's invented you'd think he'd be paid out the gluteus maximus.
Old 12-15-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have thought Lucius Malfoy would be a bit younger than 51. His only child is going on 17 or so and the guy went to school with the Weasleys, who both graduated when James Potter was still beating up Snape in the locker room.

Too geeky? Yeah, I thought so. But Lucius couldn't be much older than 40, assuming he got married and porked Narcissa by the time she was legal drinking age. Or something.
Old 12-15-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
How does Santa make money? He gives the toys and candy away. I wouldn't call that a "source".
It's obviously a front for the Mafia.
Old 12-15-05, 09:30 PM

I had the (mis) fortune of overhearing on the god-awful Richie-Rich movie (kids were watching it) that Richie's dad had a net worth of 100 Billion.
Old 12-15-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Scrooge has the most money as he himself has said that he has about an ultra-fantasticillion dollar fortune. I mean the duck has three freaking cubic acres of cash!

Last edited by mano365; 12-15-05 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then there's this:

"Uncle Scrooge's fortune stands at precisely ... Five billion quintiplitilion unptuplatillion multuplatillion impossibidillion fantasticatrillion dollars. This translates into three cubic acres of money housed in the McDuck Money Bin." - Carl Barks 1994
Old 12-15-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mano365
Then there's this:

"Uncle Scrooge's fortune stands at precisely ... Five billion quintiplitilion unptuplatillion multuplatillion impossibidillion fantasticatrillion dollars. This translates into three cubic acres of money housed in the McDuck Money Bin." - Carl Barks 1994
Barks created the character, so he should know. That puts Uncle Scrooge at #1 then.
Old 12-16-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty sure all Alderaan money was rendered useless when the planet blew up.
Old 12-16-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They forgot to put Jake Kane from Veronica Mars on the list. In the first episode, the V.O. tells us that when he took his company, Kane Software, public, he made a billion dollars. Maybe I should write to Forbes and tell them.
Old 11-21-06, 10:31 AM

2006 Edition

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061121/...e_richest_dc_2
And the richest fictional character is...

1 hour, 51 minutes ago

NEW YORK, Nov 20 (Reuters Life!) - Move over Santa. The red-clad philanthropist has lost the top slot on Forbes magazines' list of the 15 richest fictional characters to defense contractor Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks.

Warbucks, a lieutenant general in the comic strip Little Orphan Annie, unseats Santa from the top position for the first time with an estimated net worth of $36.2 billion with the conflict in Iraq boosting his fortune.

"We still estimate Claus' net worth as infinite, but we excluded him from this year's rankings after being bombarded by letters from outraged children insisting that Claus is 'real'," according to a statement from Forbes.com.

Forbes.com said it took into account "the physical evidence - toys delivered, milk and cookies devoured" in removing him from consideration.

Other drop-offs include Ebenezer Scrooge, who gave much of his fortune to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; Superman nemesis Lex Luther, who blew billions trying to take over the world; and Cruella De Vil as demand for fur coats plummeted.

The new annual list with an aggregate fictional net worth of $111 billion includes Mr. Monopoly, spam entrepreneur Prince Abakaliki of Nigeria, and videogame plumber Mario.

Second place goes to Charles Montgomery Burns, owner of the Springfield nuclear power plant in the cartoon TV show "The Simpsons" worth an estimated $16.8 billion after announcing a "technology exchange" with North Korean leader Kim Jong II.

Scrooge McDuck came in third with an estimated $10.9 billion from mining and treasure hunting as gold prices soared.

How did Forbes calculate their worth? When possible on known commodity and share price movements or by comparing private businesses to comparable fictional public companies plus a "tiny grain of common sense and a large dose of salt."

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/14/for...ct15_sort.html

Rank Name Net Worth ($mil) Age Residence Source
1 Warbucks, Oliver "Daddy" $36.2 billion 52 New York, N.Y. Defense Industries
2 Burns, Charles Montgomery $16.8 billion 104 Springfield, U.S.A. Energy
3 McDuck, Scrooge $10.9 billion 80 Duckburg, U.S.A. Mining, Treasure Hunting
4 Rich, Richie $10.7 billion 10 Richville, U.S.A Inheritance, Conglomerates
5 Clampett, Jed $7.7 billion 51 Beverly Hills, Calif. Oil & Gas, Banking
6 Monopoly, Mr. $7.1 billion 71 Atlantic City, NJ Real Estate
7 Wayne, Bruce $6.8 billion 32 Gotham City, U.S.A. Inheritance, Defense
8 Stark, Anthony $3.0 billion 35 New York, New York Defense
9 Prince Abakaliki of Nigeria $2.8 billion 37 Lagos, Nigeria Inheritance
10 Howell, Thurston III $2.7 billion 60 Private Island, South Pacific Howell Industries
11 Wonka, Willy $2.0 billion 57 Kent, England Candy; aerospace
12 Malfoy, Lucius $1.3 billion 51 Wiltshire, England Inheritance
13 Montana, Tony $1 billion 42 Miami, Florida Cocaine
14 Croft, Lara $1 billion 37 Wimbledon, England Inheritance, Antiques
15 Mario $1 billion 23 Brooklyn, NY Commodities

Chris
Old 11-21-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Finally -

They got rid of Santa and his limitless riches.

Good to see Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne on the list.
Old 11-21-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Crap:

Mario???
Prince Abakaliki of Nigeria ???
Old 11-21-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where the hell is J.R. Ewing?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.