DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   4 year old Black girl destroys logans steak house. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/447955-4-year-old-black-girl-destroys-logans-steak-house.html)

gmal2003 12-07-05 08:25 AM

This is why I choose not to befriend white people. Seriously. If I have friends that are white, which I do, they initiiated it. Otherwise, I tend to keep to myself because of the "mere observations" they like to make.

Brain Stew 12-07-05 08:26 AM

I prefer to think that the reason someone is an asshole is because they are an asshole, not because they are black. But what do I know, I also didn't realize that trashy meant nice.

tasha99 12-07-05 08:28 AM


Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Anybody else want to throw more generalizations about other races?
We shouldn't exclude them in this thread. That would be too PC.

A few days ago I spent almost half an hour on a call looking for the very cheapest Caribbean cruise possible--one that had a senior discount AND was valid for a couple of coupons. The customer's name was Mrs. McGregor.

tonyc3742 12-07-05 08:32 AM


Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I prefer to think that the reason someone is an asshole is because they are an asshole, not because they are black.

Irrelevant. No one here has said that.
As has been mentioned many times in other threads, correlation does not imply causality.

gmal2003: Assuming you're not being sarcastic, white people aren't good enough to be your friends because some of them make 'observations'? Isn't that, well, racial stereotyping?

Brain Stew 12-07-05 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by dtcarson
Irrelevant. No one here has said that.
As has been mentioned many times in other threads, correlation does not imply causality.


Orientals are bad drivers, and rude. Black people get too loud in public.
But I guess he is not implying a connection between race and those negative attributes, right?

skiblet 12-07-05 08:37 AM


Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Make up your mind or stop exaggerating. When I hear super trashy I think of a dump, not a good restaurant.


it is trashy. trashy = casual. like applebees. and chiles. You can go in there in your flip flops and cutoffs and be seated.

Venusian 12-07-05 08:38 AM


Originally Posted by Puzznic
Yeah, i must have missed that post. But to be fair he didn't say all white people are bad dancers, all asians are bad drivers, etc.

I don't think it is racist to say that more of said race does more of this and more of a different race does another thing. I don't think all sterotypes just appear out of thin air, I think it takes alot of 1st hand personal experience.

You shouldn't have to be afraid to say what you see just because everyone is so racially sensitive all of the time. Trying to pigeon hole an individual into a stereotype is something else though.

and the counterpoint, he didn't say "some" or "most" either.

you should also realize that the people you encounter may not be representative of the whole population. Hmm..there are over a billion asians in this world. The few hundred or thousand I've met and might have been rude to me probably don't represent all billion of them

LorenzoL 12-07-05 08:39 AM


Originally Posted by skiblet
it is trashy. trashy = casual. like applebees. and chiles. You can go in there in your flip flops and cutoffs and be seated.

Never heard of that definition. Usually when somebody says that something is "trash" or "trashy", it equates to garbage or awful. Basically it has a negative connoctation.

Venusian 12-07-05 08:39 AM

trashy != casual.

i go to church in flip flops. i wouldnt call myself or my church trashy

Pointyskull 12-07-05 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by gmal2003
This is why I choose not to befriend white people. Seriously. If I have friends that are white, which I do, they initiiated it. Otherwise, I tend to keep to myself because of the "mere observations" they like to make.

-ohbfrank-

zuffy 12-07-05 08:41 AM


Originally Posted by skiblet
it is trashy. trashy = casual. like applebees. and chiles. You can go in there in your flip flops and cutoffs and be seated.

Why not just called it casual then?

Minor Threat 12-07-05 08:45 AM

I hope the elderly couple had a reserved spot in the parking lot for senior parking.....

tonyc3742 12-07-05 08:48 AM


Originally Posted by Brain Stew
But I guess he is not implying a connection between race and those negative attributes, right?

I don't know what he's implying, I'm not psychic. You may be inferring that, I don't know. Ideally it should have said something like "tend to be" which would refer to the 'stereotype', while acknowledging there are lots of exceptions to that stereotype.
And there certainly can be a connection, that's what a correlation is. But not a one-causes-the-other connection. Punks "tend to be" disrespectful of authority; little kids "tend to be" impatient. True for the general, possibly untrue for the specific.

I don't get trashy = casual either. While Chili's/Applebee's are 'casual', I would probably not go to one that was 'trashy'. I guess trashy can be a good thing, in very specific situations, but it's not usually an adjective that I'd want describing a restuarant I'm going to.

skiblet 12-07-05 08:49 AM

maybe i just like the word trashy ok? im not going to get into that with clothes, but -
as far as restaurants go, its the ones that try to take themselves seriously, but they are just glorified fast food. like applebees, chiles, logans. etc..

Numanoid 12-07-05 08:51 AM


Originally Posted by Puzznic
You shouldn't have to be afraid to say what you see just because everyone is so racially sensitive all of the time. Trying to pigeon hole an individual into a stereotype is something else though.

This story has NOTHING to do with race. It has to do with people who are unwilling or unable to control their children. Bad parenting and rude social behavior are learned traits. The rude people in this story are rude because they have been raised to be rude by other rude people. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.

Do you think there is a gene inherent to black people that causes them to be rude? Come on. There are just as many rude white people (acutally probably way more) as well as other races. It's simple nature vs. nurture. If you seriously believe that the amount of melatonin in a person's skin has anything to do with their ability to behave well in social situations, then sorry, but you're a racist.

Pointyskull 12-07-05 08:53 AM


Originally Posted by Numanoid
There are just as many rude white people (acutally probably way more)

Hmmm. Stats?

Rude is rude, and poor parenting is poor parenting. However, skib's description painted a very detailed image of the people involved.

Let's all pretend no one has ever seen loud black women not watching their kids in public. C'mon, let's all pretend. :hairpull:

Yes, we all know ALL BLACK WOMEN ARE NOT LOUD AND HAVE POOR PARENTING, but apparently some are. Same for whites, yellows, reds, etc. In this case, they were black. It's a descriptor used when telling a story.

I just love everytime someone decribes a person as "black" it's somehow twisted as a racist statement :hairpull:

Me, I hate everyone equally.

zuffy 12-07-05 08:53 AM

I don't consider Applebees, Chili's, Fridays to be fast food restaurants. Shit, they don't just hand over a sandwich or steak afte you paid like in Burger King, McDonald, Wendy. etc.

Groucho 12-07-05 08:53 AM

We don't have Logans Steak House here in Utah. Which is probably for the best, since we don't have black people either.

:sad:

nevermind 12-07-05 08:54 AM


Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Hmmm. Stats?

Stats, schmats.

Go to a Walmart right now. You'll see what he means.

dork 12-07-05 08:55 AM


Originally Posted by skiblet
no but i did get to ride something else later. next question.

I hope they made K/Aeisha wait outside.

skiblet 12-07-05 08:56 AM


Originally Posted by Numanoid
This story has NOTHING to do with race. It has to do with people who are unwilling or unable to control their children. Bad parenting and rude social behavior are learned traits. The rude people in this story are rude because they have been raised to be rude by other rude people. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.

Do you think there is a gene inherent to black people that causes them to be rude? Come on. There are just as many rude white people (acutally probably way more) as well as other races. It's simple nature vs. nurture. If you seriously believe that the amount of melatonin in a person's skin has anything to do with their ability to behave well in social situations, then sorry, but you're a racist.


I would like to make a comment on that, i think that is half way correct. It doesnt have anything to do with your SKIN COLOR, buta lot more to do with your environment, your culture, and your family values/upbringing, etc..

I wrote the story because I was appalled that what i saw was totally normal and acceptable to one family, but was embarrassing and an obnoxious freakshow to the rest of our half of the restaurant.

nevermind 12-07-05 08:58 AM


Originally Posted by skiblet
I would like to make a comment on that, i think that is half way correct. It doesnt have anything to do with your SKIN, or your SKIN COLOR, and a lot more to do with your environment, your culture, and your family values/upbringing, etc..

I wrote the story because I was appalled that what i saw was totally normal and acceptable to one family, but was embarrassing and an obnoxious freakshow to the rest of our half of the restaurant.

Yet you included (and even capitalized) the word black in your thread title.

skiblet 12-07-05 09:03 AM


Originally Posted by dork
I hope they made K/Aeisha wait outside.


i could have sworn she did call her both names - It also could have been moneisha.

The Bus 12-07-05 09:03 AM

So, did the girlfriend dump the racist, cheap OP that wouldn't even stand up to some obnoxious 4-year old?

Turd Ferguson 12-07-05 09:04 AM

As a person who waited tables at Applebee's in college, I can tell you black people overwhelmingly tended to be loud, lousy tippers. That's not to say it was the case 100% of the time, but if you had to guess the outcome when they came into the restaurant, it would be a fairly safe bet.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.