DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   4 year old Black girl destroys logans steak house. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/447955-4-year-old-black-girl-destroys-logans-steak-house.html)

Brain Stew 12-07-05 07:40 AM

Somehow, I don't think this thread is going the way skiblet planned.

skiblet 12-07-05 07:40 AM

LOL>

I wrote a ridiculous title to make people come into the thread. Sorry, it is misleading.

I am turning out to be a real asshole here, but oh well. I did NOT intend for my post to be racist at all, i just wrote it out very quickly and apparently the word black ended up in the story an astonishing 634 times or something.

skiblet 12-07-05 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
I would have taken my date to a better restaurant.

You seem surprised that you witnessed trashy behavior at a place that you describe as super-trashy. What were you expecting? :hscratch:

well - they do have REALLY awesome steaks. The atmosphere is pure trash though. Its just kind of the theme of the restaurant. Like peanut shells everywhere, and people screaming yee haw and all kinds of nonsense like that.

nevermind 12-07-05 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by skiblet
well - they do have REALLY awesome steaks. The atmosphere is pure trash though. Its just kind of the theme of the restaurant. Like peanut shells everywhere, and people screaming yee haw and all kinds of nonsense like that.

Are you taking her to a monster truck rally this weekend because the beer is cold?

Brain Stew 12-07-05 07:46 AM

The atmosphere is pure trash though. Its just kind of the theme of the restaurant. Like peanut shells everywhere, and people screaming yee haw and all kinds of nonsense like that.

Are you familiar with the term cognitive dissonance?

nevermind 12-07-05 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew

RACIST!!!!!!!!11

j123vt_99 12-07-05 07:47 AM

http://forums.sohh.com/customavatars/avatar81888_8.gif

General Zod 12-07-05 07:47 AM

Did you ride the mechanical bull?

skiblet 12-07-05 07:48 AM

Yes i am, but all my opinions still stand and are valid I think.

someone get in here and prove me all wrong.

skiblet 12-07-05 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by General Zod
Did you ride the mechanical bull?

no but i did get to ride something else later. next question.

Puzznic 12-07-05 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Anybody else want to throw more generalizations about other races?
We shouldn't exclude them in this thread. That would be too PC.

The only thing i've seen in this thread are observations.

Venusian 12-07-05 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Puzznic
The only thing i've seen in this thread are observations.

White people are bad dancers. Orientals are bad drivers, and rude. Black people get too loud in public.
sounds like generalizations to me

Brain Stew 12-07-05 08:01 AM

Yes i am, but all my opinions still stand and are valid I think.

someone get in here and prove me all wrong.

My cognative dissonance was referring to the fact that you feel that while this steakhouse is "famous" (or infamous) for its trashy atmosphere you are entitled to a perfect dining atmosphere. These two beliefs are causing the dissonance.

nevermind 12-07-05 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Venusian

Don't forget about the Dutch.

Puzznic 12-07-05 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Venusian

Yeah, i must have missed that post. But to be fair he didn't say all white people are bad dancers, all asians are bad drivers, etc.

I don't think it is racist to say that more of said race does more of this and more of a different race does another thing. I don't think all sterotypes just appear out of thin air, I think it takes alot of 1st hand personal experience.

You shouldn't have to be afraid to say what you see just because everyone is so racially sensitive all of the time. Trying to pigeon hole an individual into a stereotype is something else though.

skiblet 12-07-05 08:08 AM

My cognative dissonance was referring to the fact that you feel that while this steakhouse is "famous" (or infamous) for its trashy atmosphere you are entitled to a perfect dining atmosphere. These two beliefs are causing the dissonance.

nope. i know that people go there for a relaxed and casual atmosphere at this restaurant. its fun, and families go there. You get to throw your peanut shells on the floor, its just part of the gimmick, or western theme. What i experienced tonight was 10 times past what is acceptable for ANY RESTAURANT OR ANY PUBLIC PLACE ANYWHERE. PERIOD. thats why i wrote the story. Its not about the restaurante - You dont let your child go eat off of someone elses plate even at mcdonalds! LOL

Deftones 12-07-05 08:12 AM

I'll bet some dirty Mexicans in cooked your food.

skiblet 12-07-05 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones

Mexicans are for my next thread. Lets stick to the topic here.

Brain Stew 12-07-05 08:14 AM

nope. i know that people go there for a relaxed and casual atmosphere at this restaurant. its fun, and families go there. You get to throw your peanut shells on the floor, its just part of the gimmick, or western theme. What i experienced tonight was 10 times past what is acceptable for ANY RESTAURANT OR ANY PUBLIC PLACE ANYWHERE. PERIOD. thats why i wrote the story. Its not about the restaurante - You dont let your child go eat off of someone elses plate even at mcdonalds! LOL

I didn't say they were absolved from what they did.

Let me use an analogy: You cannot complain about the smell when you play in a garbage dump. Surprisingly, trashy restaurants will attract trashy people.

General Zod 12-07-05 08:16 AM

I just checked out Logans roadhouse on the web and I must say they've got quite a good lookin' menu. I'd eat there. The steaks look particularly good.

Michael Corvin 12-07-05 08:18 AM

First 20 posts: 5/5

Last 20 posts: 0/5

skiblet 12-07-05 08:18 AM

I didn't say they were absolved from what they did.

Let me use an analogy: You cannot complain about the smell when you play in a garbage dump.

I dont like your analogy.

Its not a DUMP. Its a great restaurant that people frequent, and actually does a lot of business, and has great food. The steaks are absolutely fantastic. Its casual and has the fun theme. That doesnt make it a dump. and doesnt mean its ok to let their children run apeshit and then talk down to the lady who says "Your child just took that off our table!" LOL

Pointyskull 12-07-05 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones

Nope, they bus the tables.

Brain Stew 12-07-05 08:21 AM

I dont like your analogy.

Its not a DUMP. Its a great restaurant

Logans is a super-trashy peanuts-on-the-floor steakhouse

Make up your mind or stop exaggerating. When I hear super trashy I think of a dump, not a good restaurant.

tonyc3742 12-07-05 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Puzznic
Yeah, i must have missed that post. But to be fair he didn't say all white people are bad dancers, all asians are bad drivers, etc.

I don't think it is racist to say that more of said race does more of this and more of a different race does another thing. I don't think all sterotypes just appear out of thin air, I think it takes alot of 1st hand personal experience.

You shouldn't have to be afraid to say what you see just because everyone is so racially sensitive all of the time. Trying to pigeon hole an individual into a stereotype is something else though.

I agree with this.
Stereotypes didn't come out of thin air, they are, or were, based at least somewhat in reality.

If most people see an obese person, an early thought in their head is probably something like 'They need to quit eating' or something like that. Stereotype. In many, but not all, cases, that is true.

If someone on a message board sees someone mention race in a negative story, an early thought is, 'He mentioned/noticed race, so obviously he's racist.' Stereotype. In many, but not all, cases, this is true.

And racism is simply bigotry/stereotyping based on race. It's just as bad to be a bigot based on size, or gender, or political affiliation.

There's a difference between "Because this person is *this*, s/he is more likely to do *this*", which is a simple reflection of historical occurences, and "Because this person is *this*, s/he is by definition this, which is bad and inferior", which is more the 'bigotry'.

While the *likelihood* of each of those is higher, like Puzznic says, to pigeonhole and say "because this person is *blank* then s/he is obviously and definitely *blank*" is wrong.

Regarding the behaviour of the girl: I agree with the OP. A child behaving like that ANYWHERE in public, whether it be Ruth's Chris or McDonalds, is unacceptable, and her parents or the guardians did a pathetic job of controlling her. And the OP has every right to complain about it. Standards differ depending on where you go--I would expect kids at Ruth's Chris to stay relatively calmly in their seats, while I wouldn't mind them running around in the playplace at McD's--but there are some basic standards of decency and public decorum, and this child/group of people urinated all over those standards.