Texas woman mauled by 6 dogs while going into her home

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 11-27-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051127/...f_woman_mauled

THORNDALE, Texas - A pack of six dogs mauled a 76-year-old woman to death as she worked in her yard, authorities said.

ADVERTISEMENT ("Pit Bulls are our friends." Cute girl playing with 6 pit bulls in a yard, on a sunny day, with smiles on parents' faces)

Lillian Loraine Stiles was riding on a lawn mower in her front yard Saturday when she was confronted by the dogs, described as pit bull-rottweiler mixed breeds, said Milam County Sheriff Charlie West.

Investigators think Stiles was attacked when she got off the mower and headed into her house.

Stiles had severe bites over her entire body, and a man who tried to help her was bitten on one leg, authorities said.

The dogs were found at the home of Stiles' neighbor, Jose Hernandez.

The sheriff's department will send the findings of its investigation to the Milam County District Attorney's Office, which will decide if any criminal charges will be filed against Hernandez.

Thorndale is located about 70 miles west of College Station

-----

http://www.cameronherald.com/article...ews/news01.txt

A 76 year old Thorndale woman died Saturday afternoon from what the Milam County Sheriff's Office has determined to be an attack by dogs.

Lillian Loraine Stiles was found in her front yard by passing motorists as the attack occurred. Between four and six dogs were involved in the attack.

The motorists, Weldon and Maurita Smith of Rockdale told investigators that they saw Stiles laying in her yard as they passed with several dogs around her. According to Milam County Sheriff Charlie West, the Smiths went to help Stiles and were also attacked. Mr. Smith suffered puncture wounds to his right leg by one of the attacking dogs as he tried to get them away from Stiles.

Mrs. Smith called Thorndale EMS and the Milam County Sheriff's Office

When they arrived, EMS personnel discovered that Stiles had died from her injuries, severe bites to her entire body from the pack of dogs.

Justice of the Peace O.C. "Chip" Dunsmoor conducted the inquest and ordered an autopsy be performed by the Dallas County Medical Examiner scheduled for Sunday. West said that preliminary autopsy results should be available Monday.

West said that Stiles was apparently riding a riding lawn mower around her front yard when the dogs confronted her. It appears that Stiles got off the mower and possibly began to head for her home when she was attacked.

Thorndale firemen found the dogs at a neighbor's home. Jose Hernandez of Thorndale identified the dogs.

Five of six dogs believed to be involved in the attack were taken into custody and to Veterinary Medical Arts Center in Cameron where DNA was obtained from each of the dogs.

West said that Hernandez told investigators that the dogs are pitbull-rottweiler crossbreeds.

This case remains under investigation. Based on the evidence, Milam County District Attorney Kerry Spears will determine if criminal charges will be filed.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-27-05 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-27-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
She should have stayed on the mower....but that baby in high gear and run them down
Old 11-27-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's kvrdave's chance to be a hero!
Old 11-27-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ADVERTISEMENT ("Pit Bulls are our friends." Cute girl playing with 6 pit bulls in a yard, on a sunny day, with smiles on parents' faces)
Such a great advertisement for this article!

On the serious tip though, that's a really horrible way to go. She shoulda just ran 'em over with the mower.
Old 11-27-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn.. just saw this on the local news.. happened like 2 towns over
Old 11-27-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kvrdave: Those dogs should be killed!

Pet-nazi: The owner should be killed!
Old 11-27-05, 11:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by kvrdave
kvrdave: Those dogs should be killed!

Pet-nazi: The owner should be killed!
Oh no, I'm one pet nazi who dislikes these animals. Especially the pitts since I think the Rotts have a good temperment. I'd have no problem with a worldwide ban on Pitts.
Old 11-27-05, 11:30 PM

Im no nazi maybe Pitts just arent the type to be domesticated...or its just how they were raise. Could be either. I mean any dog is capable of being vicious, yes pitts are the main culprits but maybe that just means they arent much for domestication
Old 11-28-05, 12:23 AM

I predict a 5th page to this thread within 24 hours.
Old 11-28-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dogs should be put down.
Old 11-28-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love dogs as well, but Pit Bulls are just not right.
Old 11-28-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What a horrible way to go.. Were I the police who were there, and knew which dogs did it, I'd shoot them without a second though.
Old 11-28-05, 09:34 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Poor lady.
My dog is very rough, he even bit my grandfathers hand..and he lives right behind us!
That's why we have to keep him on a very short leash.
Old 11-28-05, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Green Smurf
I love dogs as well, but Pit Bulls are just not right.
Yeah...I wonder why they are like that?
Must be genes I guess.....
Old 11-28-05, 09:38 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Static_Rainbow
My dog is very rough, he even bit my grandfathers hand..and he lives right behind us!
That's why we have to keep him on a very short leash.
Yikes, is that even legal? I felt bad putting my grandfather in a nursing home, and I think what your doing to yours goes too far!
Old 11-28-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Yikes, is that even legal? I felt bad putting my grandfather in a nursing home, and I think what your doing to yours goes too far!
Old 11-28-05, 09:54 AM

Mmm...I think you misunderstood what I meant.
My grandfather has his own apartment behind our house, he went to borrow one of my dad's car tools and the dog wanted to play, but my grandfather did not, so he (dog) bit him (grandfather). My grandfather is 77 yrs old and he's in way too good condition (health wise) to be in some nursing home.
Old 11-28-05, 10:01 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My grandfather is 77 yrs old and he's in way too good condition (health wise) to be in some nursing home.
Well, as long as you take him out for walks every now and then, I guess it's okay.
Old 11-28-05, 10:07 AM

Well, as long as you take him out for walks every now and then, I guess it's okay.

I like U!
You're really funny!
Old 11-28-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Woman, 76, killed in dog attack near Thorndale
Pack of dogs also injures would-be rescuer.
By Suzannah Gonzales
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, November 28, 2005
On Saturday afternoon, Lillian Stiles was doing what she loved, tending her yard and flowers from atop her riding lawn mower. About 4:15 p.m., she would be found fatally mauled by a pack of dogs.

Stiles, 76, was found lying in her front yard at her home near Thorndale with bites all over her body. She had been attacked by six pit bull-Rottweiler mixed-breed dogs owned by a man living less than 500 yards away, Milam County sheriff's deputies said.

(enlarge photo)

Ricardo B. Brazziell
AMERICAN-STATESMAN

(enlarge photo)
Weldon Smith was bitten by the same dogs that attacked Lillian Stiles after he discovered her body in the front yard of her home near Thorndale. Smith's wife, Maurita, background, was with him at the time.

Ricardo B. Brazziell
AMERICAN-STATESMAN

(enlarge photo)
Weldon Smith: Rockdale man and his wife noticed body as they drove past the Stileses' home.

Ricardo B. Brazziell
AMERICAN-STATESMAN

(enlarge photo)
Jack Stiles, holding a photograph of his wife, Lillian, said the woman he married 55 years ago loved tending to their property. 'I couldn't keep her off the lawn mower. She loved it. She was proud of her yard,' he said.

(enlarge photo)
Lillian Stiles: Neighbor's six pit bull-Rottweiler dogs responsible for fatal mauling, sheriff said.

MOST POPULAR STORIES
Little to smile about in win over Aggies
'Real World' left behind real legal problems
Woman, 76, killed in dog attack near Thorndale
Notebook: It hit the fan; fullback's Hall pass
Todd in critical condition after cycling fall

A man who stopped to help Stiles also was badly injured by the dogs.

He was taken to Scott & White Hospital in Temple, where he was treated for several bites on his torso, right leg and groin and later released.

Stiles died of her injuries, according to the sheriff's department. She may have gotten off the mower and tried to make it to her home when she was attacked.

Sheriff's deputies said they expected preliminary results from an autopsy today.

Milam County and Thorndale law enforcement officers took five of the dogs into custody at their owner's residence Saturday night. They are being held at the Veterinary Medical Arts Center in Cameron. The sixth dog was shot dead by Stiles' husband, Jack.

DNA evidence was taken from the dogs to link them to the attack, and they will be tested for rabies, said Milam County Sheriff Charlie West.

The dogs' owner, Jose Hernandez of Thorndale, could not provide records showing that the dogs had been vaccinated, West said.

Hernandez was not home at the time of the attack, said West, who added that he would consult with the Milam County district attorney's office about filing criminal charges.

The dogs apparently were kept in a pen behind a 3-foot chain-link fence with no top rail. Electric fencing low along the inside of the pen was meant to keep them from digging and getting out.

Hernandez could not be reached for comment Sunday.

While his wife of 55 years was out in the yard, Jack Stiles, 76, was inside watching the University of Oklahoma-Oklahoma State football game. It was not unusual for her to stay outside for hours at a time, he said, "especially when I was watching a football game that she cared nothing about."

If Lillian Stiles wasn't mowing the one-acre yard she had landscaped, she was admiring it, her husband said. "I couldn't keep her off the lawn mower. She loved it. She was proud of her yard."

She was found by Weldon and Maurita Smith, both 60. The Smiths were on their way home to Rockdale after Christmas shopping in Temple, driving along FM 486 where the Stileses live, when they saw Lillian Stiles collapsed in her yard.

"That looks like a body laying beside that tractor," Weldon Smith remembered his wife saying.

"You sure?" he asked.

She said she was pretty sure, he recalled.

"You want me to turn back?" he asked his wife.

"Yeah," she said.

Weldon Smith saw blood on the ground around Lillian Stiles' head. He got out of his Ford F-250 pickup and told his wife to call 911.

Smith said he walked about 50 feet and saw four large dogs coming toward him 70 pounds to 90 pounds each, maybe heavier, he estimated. They stood between him and Stiles' body.

The dogs seemed to work as a team, like wolves attacking a deer, Smith said. "That's the best way to describe it.

"I saw it, and I didn't believe it," he said. "It's like something out of a horror movie."

There was no way he could get past them, Smith said. He started to back up, walking slowly.

A light brown dog jumped at his neck. Smith said he kept his forearms raised, guarding his throat. Meanwhile, other dogs nipped at him.

"I knew my only salvation was to get to the truck," he said.

Smith ran and tried to climb on the truck. He got his left leg on the bumper, but as his right leg went up, one of the dogs grabbed it by the pants leg. Smith kicked, trying to shove the dog away. Eventually, the dog let go.

Maurita Smith stood on a step of the truck, on the phone with 911 operators. She was not hurt.

The Smiths drove up the Stileses' driveway. Weldon Smith knocked on the door, and Jack Stiles answered.

"There's a body in your front yard," Stiles recalled Smith saying. "Do you have a gun?"

The dogs were coming back.

Stiles shot a whitish-gray dog that charged him. The others scattered. Stiles fired a second shot at another dog, but it was too far away.

Stiles saw clothes the dogs had ripped off his wife's body. "If it had not been in my front yard, I wouldn't have recognized her," he said. "When I went out there, I knew she was dead."

West said he did not recall receiving any complaints about the dogs before. Aside from the state dog laws, including those that require vaccinations and give him the authority to take vicious dogs into custody, West said there are no dog ordinances in Milam County.

In his nearly 30 years with the sheriff's department, West said he had never seen an attack like this before.

Lillian Stiles was born in San Gabriel, a farmer's daughter. The Stileses were high school sweethearts. They met as freshmen at Thorndale High School.

"She was beautiful," Jack Stiles said. "Couldn't miss her. She was so pretty."

Lillian Stiles is survived by her husband, three children, seven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Old 11-28-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Who in their right mind would KEEP a pack of dogs like that? If you lived on an estate or something, but not in town. Idiot.
Old 11-28-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPDATE

http://www.news8austin.com/content/t...sp?ArID=150649

Dogs that mauled woman euthanized
11/28/2005 12:17 PM
By: Associated Press

THORNDALE, Texas -- Five dogs that mauled a 76-year-old woman to death in the front yard of her Central Texas home were put to death on Monday.

A sixth dog in the pack had been shot and killed by the woman's husband.

Lillian Loraine Stiles was riding on a lawn mower in her front yard Saturday when she was confronted by the dogs.

Milam County Sheriff Charlie West described the dogs as a pit bull-rottweiler mix.

Investigators think Stiles had gotten off the mower and was heading to her house when she was attacked. Authorities say she died at the scene after suffering severe bites over her entire body.

The animals belonged to Stiles' neighbor, Jose Hernandez. Investigators say they'll send findings of their investigation to the Milam County District Attorney's office.

Prosecutors will decide if any criminal charges will be filed.
At least the owner didn't try and save them.
Old 11-28-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I hope the owner does time.
Old 11-29-05, 11:16 AM

I like U!
You're really funny!
Hey wait a minute! There's only room for one funny guy in your life.... oh wait a minute it's Groucho, I don't stand a chance.

Static, he's all yours!

Chris
Old 11-29-05, 11:32 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

To live that long only to die like that... horrible.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.