Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Penn Gillette: There Is No God (NPR)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Penn Gillette: There Is No God (NPR)

Old 11-22-05, 01:29 PM
  #201  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
Jesus said all who didn't believe in him would be sent to an evertasing place of torment.
Rockmjd23 is online now  
Old 11-22-05, 01:29 PM
  #202  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,336
Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Not to be picky, but you still have not answered Deftone's question. Why not just deal with the subject directly?
Because she can't. It's an unwinable argument. She's only singled me out because of something that happened with her pookie bear somewhere else

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
OH! Hit me where it HURTS, mock the SMILEY FACES...

Hopefully no one else is getting offended that I don't agree with Penn (not to mention, I generally don't put much stock in what an entertainment celebrity thinks... otherwise I'd have to listen to Tom Cruise and Madonna, just to be fair ). Almost everyone in this thread is discussing it without being derisive... at least we can count on you, Def, for that "I'm so much cooler/smarter/better than the person I disagree with" aspect, eh?


EDITED because one of the guys emailed and said Deftones is offended enough to complain about me and my responses elsewhere on the 'net... Like I said, sometimes it's hard to talk about stuff like this on a forum like this. Sorry to anyone else who was offended, none meant.
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Honestly, I'm tempted, but it would take long posts, and long discussion, which would be frustrating if there were heaps of non-serious responses. Some like yourself seem to want a serious discussion, but from what I know of Def, he just wants a reason to make fun of someone. After thinking about it, I choose to not be that someone.

As for those who ask, How does this topic ever come up, in my experience the agnostics or athiests bring it up because they know I'm willing to discuss it (in REAL LIFE, at least.. ). I have a couple of athiests at work who honestly start debates/discussions on religion and Christianity on a regular basis. One of them says he likes the way I explain my viewpoint, and he likes the debate. Stuff like that happens to me all the time in real life.... usually on some day/evening/event where I'm hoping for nothing but light, fluffy conversation. Which is all I come to DVDTalk for, come to think of it.
This is just code for I have no valid argument and that I can't back up my "faith" based position on religion. Let's face it, you've got nothing. This has nothing to do with making fun. You confuse my attack on your stance as that. It's nothing more than an attempt to get you to back up what you said. You can't even do that, though. You are the one laughing at what I said. I am honestly trying to find out what evidence you believe that the Bible is more than a collection of stories passed down from generation to generation. Until you can provide concrete proof that it isn't, your position has no validity.
Deftones is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:29 PM
  #203  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happycamper
Thats your job!
Ok go smoke some meth!
MJKTool is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:30 PM
  #204  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
There was so much of it and for so long that i just can't dismiss it so casually.

But OK, I'll judge Christianity by Jesus. Jesus said all who didn't believe in him would be sent to an everlasing place of torment. Call me crazy but I just can't get past that.

But he is giving EVERYONE the chance for eternal life. It is not an exclusive club where you have to jump thru hoops to get in. You just have to believe that the Son of God, who created everything, is the only way to be reconciled with God the Father. I know, it's so easy, yet so hard.

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:31 PM
  #205  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by La Bella Rose
My job is done.....

*continues to dance with kitty*
*smacks Bella's bare ass and kicks it up a notch*
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:31 PM
  #206  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
This thread doesn't need to be locked, but the posts of a certain member need to be deleted and that certain member needs to be banned.
GuessWho? For comparing Elvis to that hack Bon Jovi? Worry not -- I already reported him.
uberjoe is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:32 PM
  #207  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,190
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Crap, I leave for a few minutes and this happens? I'm off to other threads.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:32 PM
  #208  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
That's something the lord would not approve of.

Come on, God never had a problem with people being naked (see Genesis). He had a problem with Adam lusting after Eve, well before they were married!

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:33 PM
  #209  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
Because she can't . It's an unwinable argument. She's only singled me out because of something that happened with her pookie bear somewhere else

This is just code for I have no valid argument and that I can't back up my "faith" based position on religion. Let's face it, you've got nothing. This has nothing to do with making fun. You confuse my attack on your stance as that. It's nothing more than an attempt to get you to back up what you said. You can't even do that, though. You are the one laughing at what I said. I am honestly trying to find out what evidence you believe that the Bible is more than a collection of stories passed down from generation to generation. Until you can provide concrete proof that it isn't, your position has no validity.
FYP, maybe she'll understand it and answer your question now.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:33 PM
  #210  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish Geoff knew what kind a shit you talk about him at the Island.
MJKTool is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:33 PM
  #211  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: At the beach
Posts: 6,090
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MJKTool
Ok go smoke some meth!
You must have me confused with someone else. Sorry to disappoint, son.
happycamper is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:33 PM
  #212  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Come on, God never had a problem with people being naked (see Genesis).
Of course, once they discovered that they were naked, things went south fast
Rockmjd23 is online now  
Old 11-22-05, 01:33 PM
  #213  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
FYP, maybe she'll understand it and answer your question now.
You give birth yet?
MJKTool is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:35 PM
  #214  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I obviously missed something.
DodgingCars is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:35 PM
  #215  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Looking for my pants...
Posts: 2,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by La Bella Rose; 11-22-05 at 01:39 PM.
La Bella Rose is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:37 PM
  #216  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by La Bella Rose
Sorry, Bella. Should have warmed up my hands first...
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:37 PM
  #217  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 35,415
Received 312 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by MJKTool
I wish Geoff knew what kind a shit you talk about him at the Island.

Now you're just making shit up. I know you want to go out in a blaze of glory, but really - you're just embarrassing yourself.
Bandoman is online now  
Old 11-22-05, 01:37 PM
  #218  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 21,589
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Come on, God never had a problem with people being naked (see Genesis). He had a problem with Adam lusting after Eve, well before they were married!

Chris
So 2 naked women dancing for the pleasure of the men around the place is cool in the bible? Just checking
BDB is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:39 PM
  #219  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did someone forget his medication today?
FinkPish is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:39 PM
  #220  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
Now you're just making shit up. I know you want to go out in a blaze of glory, but really - you're just embarrassing yourself.
Bullshit I'm making things up.
MJKTool is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:39 PM
  #221  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
Now you're just making shit up. I know you want to go out in a blaze of glory, but really - you're just embarrassing yourself.
Speaking of which... why isn't he out yet? Seems like the mods would have responded by now. I imagine they were flooded with reported posts.
uberjoe is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:41 PM
  #222  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,196
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOCKED UNTIL WE HAVE TIME TO SORT THROUGH THIS ALL... potentially it'll be locked for good though.
nemein is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.