Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Penn Gillette: There Is No God (NPR)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Penn Gillette: There Is No God (NPR)

Old 11-22-05, 01:21 PM
  #176  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Ah, the 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong theory!


I absolutely think you should be able to believe whatever you want, religion or no, but I don't think that that's a good reason that you gave. If I got a bunch of people to spend two thousand years travelling around the world holding people's heads under water until they believed that squirrels are psychic, that wouldn't be a good reason for someone else to hold up as proof that it's true. The best reason that you can give is that you, in your heart, believe it to be true, independent of what anyone else thinks. If every person on earth suddenly renounced the bible all at once but you still felt that it was true, then you'd be a real believer.
I hear you there. I just can't put it into words. I'm sorry, I wish I could. I suck at this.
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:21 PM
  #177  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 7,679
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by MJKTool
Ask me if I give a shit!

gosuckadickbye
Typical Christian
Nesbit is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:22 PM
  #178  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7,714
Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts
Fascinating how quickly these things can go downhill. I agree 100% with das Monkey's previous statements. It's a shame some atheists/agnostics can't realize there are intelligent religious people and that some religious people can't realize there are morally good people who don't share their beliefs. Seems like most religious threads on here start out fairly interesting and then just quickly go to hell. Obvious pun intended.
maxfisher is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:22 PM
  #179  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,518
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Ah, the 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong theory!
.
100,000,000 Bon Jovi fans can't be wrong either

GuessWho is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:23 PM
  #180  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Looking for my pants...
Posts: 2,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*strips naked and runs through the thread too*
La Bella Rose is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:23 PM
  #181  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*sings the theme song to the smurfs and skips naked around the thread*
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:23 PM
  #182  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
Fascinating how quickly these things can go downhill. I agree 100% with das Monkey's previous statements. It's a shame some atheists/agnostics can't realize there are intelligent religious people and that some religious people can't realize there are morally good people who don't share their beliefs. Seems like most religious threads on here start out fairly interesting and then just quickly go to hell. Obvious pun intended.
I don't think this thread went to hell because of religious differences
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:24 PM
  #183  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: At the beach
Posts: 6,090
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MJKTool
Didnt I tell you to shut up saggy?
Forever classy.

happycamper is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:25 PM
  #184  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Looking for my pants...
Posts: 2,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Grabs Kitty and begins to dance*
La Bella Rose is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:25 PM
  #185  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*sticks a pitchfork up Deftones ass*
MJKTool is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:25 PM
  #186  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happycamper
Forever classy.

Go swallow some cum.
MJKTool is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:26 PM
  #187  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*dances naked with Bella while singing the Smurf song*
Kittydreamer is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:26 PM
  #188  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Pointyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Formerly known as "12thmonkey"/Frankfort, IL
Posts: 7,713
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by La Bella Rose
*Grabs Kitty and begins to dance*
*Ponders briefly that there could be a God*
Pointyskull is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:26 PM
  #189  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I don't think this thread went to hell because of religious differences
I actually think this thread has helped bring people together, because believers, atheists, agnostics -- everybody -- can agree that MJKTool is aptly named.
uberjoe is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:26 PM
  #190  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,012
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I know it's hard not to judge Christianity by the actions of it's so-called believers, but you need to judge Christianity by Jesus Christ himself.

He calls all Christians to be 'servants' to others, he famously said "He who is without sin cast the first stone", and he also said "How can you judge others who have a speck in their eyes, when you have a log in yours?".

So yes, all of those things that you have mentioned have been done in the name of Christianity, but they were/are all wrong and Jesus Christ himself would have spoke out against them.

Chris
There was so much of it and for so long that I just can't dismiss it so casually.

But OK, I'll judge Christianity by Jesus. Jesus said all who didn't believe in him would be sent to an everlasing place of torment. I'm sorry, I will never be able to get past that.

Last edited by movielib; 11-22-05 at 01:36 PM.
movielib is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:26 PM
  #191  
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait, wait, wait, wait. Did I just see boobies in here?

das
das Monkey is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:26 PM
  #192  
DVD Talk Legend
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Illinoyze
Posts: 10,513
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Wow, this paragraph has SO many inaccuracies in it, I don't know where to begin... but fortunately, I doubt anyone's looking to you for guidance.


Interesting post, Mojo. I don't agree with much of it, but it is pretty bold of him.

Edited to add, I'm laughing at the way Deftones's opinions are stated, not the opinions of the OP. Deftones, if you look into apologetics, you'll find that there's a lot more "back up" out there... doesn't mean you have to believe, but it's far from the "stories 'round the campfire" that you've made it sound like.
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
DVD P, I respectfully disagree. Consistency and logic are present in the Bible, and I would argue that everyone has faith: some just have it in their ownselves, considering their own reasoning higher than anything else. There is no proof that I could offer that would satisfy that kind of "faith".

Besides, that's not really the purpose of threads around here, is it? It's too hard to have a continuous, linear, logical discussion about ANYthing!
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
OH! Hit me where it HURTS, mock the SMILEY FACES...

Hopefully no one else is getting offended that I don't agree with Penn (not to mention, I generally don't put much stock in what an entertainment celebrity thinks... otherwise I'd have to listen to Tom Cruise and Madonna, just to be fair ). Almost everyone in this thread is discussing it without being derisive... at least we can count on you, Def, for that "I'm so much cooler/smarter/better than the person I disagree with" aspect, eh?


EDITED because one of the guys emailed and said Deftones is offended enough to complain about me and my responses elsewhere on the 'net... Like I said, sometimes it's hard to talk about stuff like this on a forum like this. Sorry to anyone else who was offended, none meant.
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Fair enough, but I put it in quotes because I was quoting Deftones, that's all.

As it is, I might delete that post, as I've gotten emails from a couple of different people who tell me I offended Deftones, so...

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Honestly, I'm tempted, but it would take long posts, and long discussion, which would be frustrating if there were heaps of non-serious responses. Some like yourself seem to want a serious discussion, but from what I know of Def, he just wants a reason to make fun of someone. After thinking about it, I choose to not be that someone.

As for those who ask, How does this topic ever come up, in my experience the agnostics or athiests bring it up because they know I'm willing to discuss it (in REAL LIFE, at least.. ). I have a couple of athiests at work who honestly start debates/discussions on religion and Christianity on a regular basis. One of them says he likes the way I explain my viewpoint, and he likes the debate. Stuff like that happens to me all the time in real life.... usually on some day/evening/event where I'm hoping for nothing but light, fluffy conversation. Which is all I come to DVDTalk for, come to think of it.
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
OK, Das is my new hero. Das, you put it very well, and I agree completely.

Of course, that's JUST MY OPINION... you're all welcome to disagree... Not trying to change anyone's mind...

Holy shit.

If there was a god he'd never have created the : key on a keyboard!
nevermind is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:26 PM
  #193  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*grabs Aghama's big lips and swings him across the room*
MJKTool is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:27 PM
  #194  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a shame that this thread is going to be locked, because there were good points made by many of the different people in this thread.

Oh well

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:27 PM
  #195  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 21,591
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Wait, wait, wait, wait. Did I just see boobies in here?

das
That's something the lord would not approve of.
BDB is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:27 PM
  #196  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: At the beach
Posts: 6,090
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MJKTool
Go swallow some cum.
Thats your job!
happycamper is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:28 PM
  #197  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Pointyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Formerly known as "12thmonkey"/Frankfort, IL
Posts: 7,713
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by uberjoe
I actually think this thread has helped bring people together, because believers, atheists, agnostics -- everybody -- can agree that MJKTool is aptly named.
Pointyskull is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:29 PM
  #198  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Looking for my pants...
Posts: 2,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
*Ponders briefly that there could be a God*
My job is done.....

*continues to dance with kitty*
La Bella Rose is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:29 PM
  #199  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread doesn't need to be locked, but the posts of a certain member need to be deleted and that certain member needs to be banned.
wildcatlh is offline  
Old 11-22-05, 01:29 PM
  #200  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Gil Jawetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: I was here but I disappear
Posts: 8,407
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I hear you there. I just can't put it into words. I'm sorry, I wish I could. I suck at this.
It's ok. I was still trying to write thoughtful responses but hadn't realized that the thread had gone to hell. Oh well.
Gil Jawetz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.