Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Termites!

Old 11-13-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Termites!

In my back yard I have a large wooden deck, and the yard is surrounded by a 6í high wooden fence. While mowing the yard yesterday I noticed that one of the fence posts had broken off at the base, so I pulled out some nails and removed two 8í sections of the fence.

Termites had eaten enough of the post so that a strong wind a few days ago must have been enough to push it over. The termites had also eaten parts of the bottom of the fence, which had been an inch or so into the ground. I had been keeping some wood within a few feet of this location, some of those logs had been eaten also. I burnt the logs today.

Question: Can I treat the area where the termites were myself, or do I have to (or should) hire a company to come out? Per a neighbor, it costs between $500 to $1,200 to have somebody come out and treat the yard and house, but Iím not convinced that the house needs treating. The location of the termites was about 15í or so from the house, but Iíve not noticed anything with the house itself.

Any ideas?
Old 11-13-05, 01:44 AM
Suspended

Old 11-13-05, 01:48 AM
Banned

Don't waste your money. Here's what I do to treat these critters.
1. Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of this.

2. Change your car motor or transmission oil yourself and save the used oil.
3. Go to the hardware store or gas station and get a gallon of kerosene.
4. Fill up a gallon jug with half used motor oil, 1/4 kerosene, and 1/4 of the Jasco stuff.
5. Shake it up real good everytime you use it.
6. Get a paint brush and brush on the area to be treated. If you prefer, pour that stuff into a spray bottle and spray the area to be treated.

Works like a charm for me.
Old 11-13-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got kerosene and used motor oil in my garage, the Jasco stuff would be easy to get (assuming Lowes or Menards carries it, no Home Depot here). But don't termites live in the ground? The places they ate on my fence were all just below the ground surface, how would you get them? Or do you just spray all over the edges and hope that catches them? Note that I've not actually seen them or where they live, I just know that they ate a section of my fence.
Old 11-13-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
http://www.fagerlund.addr.com/termites.htm

Richard Fagerlund is an Albuquerque entomologist who writes a newspaper advice column on pest control.

How far is the fence from the deck? I'd be inspecting the posts of the deck. We had termites hit the shed, but that was 60 feet from the house. If it had been closer, I would have been concerned.
Old 11-13-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just make a giant girly termite statue and dress it in a revealing negligeť. Then place the statue at the corner furthest from the house. The termites, seeing this buxom female, will wander away.
Old 11-13-05, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Heat
I've got kerosene and used motor oil in my garage, the Jasco stuff would be easy to get (assuming Lowes or Menards carries it, no Home Depot here). But don't termites live in the ground? The places they ate on my fence were all just below the ground surface, how would you get them? Or do you just spray all over the edges and hope that catches them? Note that I've not actually seen them or where they live, I just know that they ate a section of my fence.
Just spray that mixture all over the wooden area. I would apply a few coats with about a day interval for each coat. If it's below the surface, I recommend digging up a perimeter around the eaten area, and pour this mixture around every fence post. I did exactly the same thing when my parent bought their house fill with termites. These critters were out of view during the inspection.
Old 11-13-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Myster X
Don't waste your money. Here's what I do to treat these critters.
1. Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of this.

2. Change your car motor or transmission oil yourself and save the used oil.
3. Go to the hardware store or gas station and get a gallon of kerosene.
4. Fill up a gallon jug with half used motor oil, 1/4 kerosene, and 1/4 of the Jasco stuff.
5. Shake it up real good everytime you use it.
6. Get a paint brush and brush on the area to be treated. If you prefer, pour that stuff into a spray bottle and spray the area to be treated.

Works like a charm for me.
Wow. This sounds like a mixture to get rid of anything, including your annoying neighbors/rats/stray bigfoot wondering around.
Old 11-13-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Wow. This sounds like a mixture to get rid of anything, including your annoying neighbors/rats/stray bigfoot wondering around.

Not to mention a visit from the EPA if some nosey neighbor finds out.
Old 11-13-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Jasco is banned in Oregon and Washington. Reason? It's not too hard to figure out.
Old 11-13-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
But don't termites live in the ground?
In all honesty I'm no expert, but yes they live in the ground. Seriously, it is my understanding that you treat termites like robbers, you make your home NOT an easy target. In other words you can't ever truely get rid of them, you just don't want them to bother you.

You want the termites to stay in the ground or go to your neighbors, but not your place. You do this with treatment. Also keep wood dry by not letting water pool near the wood or let wood get saturated to where it never drys.
Old 11-15-05, 10:44 AM

I found termite activity about 20' from my house. This is what I have been using- termite stakes from home depot. You have to continually monitor and/or replace the stakes every 4-6 weeks if there is continual activity. The buggers feed off the stakes and return to the hive with the poison.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...e=08-2384632-2

My next door neighbors paid $1200 for a one time similar termite stake treatment but in their case the termites had infested his garage. Then he pays $300 every yr for them to come out regularly. If they get into the home, you have no real choice but to get a pro.