Other Talk "Otterville"

Puppies

Old 11-11-05, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puppies??

So I'm going to look at some Golden Retriever puppies tonight (about 6 weeks old). I currently have a 4.5 year old black lab so I know a bit about dogs, but specifically for puppies, what are some questions that I should ask the breeder? Thanks.

Last edited by Tommy Boy29; 11-11-05 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-11-05, 10:51 AM

I would question any breeder who will actually let the puppies leave their mom at 6 weeks...WAY too soon...

Other than that, you want to know about the health-history of the parents...have they been cleared for hip problems, and what's the temperment like...

If this is a pre-review, and you can't get the pups till they're older...that's a good sign...

Enjoy!
Old 11-11-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ask kvrdave, I think he has a post around here somewhere with a lot of advice on dogs.
Old 11-11-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes - hips can be a problem for Goldens (my brother has 2 of them). Seems to me eyes may be a potential issue as well. Goldens are great dogs, though.

We we got our Aussie pups, the breeder encouraged us to come and vist frequently before we took them home so we could bond a bit and make the separation a little less traumatic. That worked well for us. We also were able to see and interact with both of the parents, to get a feel for the temperament.
Old 11-11-05, 11:05 AM

Instead of getting puppies perhaps you would be interested in a couple of older dogs that enjoy the occasional chicken. I'm pretty sure there is someone around here that would be very grateful if you liberated them from their current owners. That is if they aren't dead yet.
Old 11-11-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy29
So I'm going to look at some Golden Retriever puppies tonight (about 6 weeks old). I currently have a 4.5 year old black lab so I know a bit about dogs, but specifically for puppies, what are some questions that I should ask the breeder? Thanks.
Are the parents show dogs, and if so have they both won their championships?

Are the parents field dogs?

If the parents are hunting or working dogs, do they have any certificates?

Are both the parents CERF and OFA clear?

Have they been tested for any other known congenital disorders for golden retrievers?

Will the breeder take the dog back, no questions asked if you cannot take care of it for whatever reason? Does the breeder have a stipulation in the contract that says you should never, under any circumstances, give one of their puppies up to a shelter or sell it to another person?

Is the breeder involved in rescue?

Is the breeder a member of the local or national golden retriever breed club?

Does the breeder sell on a spay/neuter contract?
- does the breeder offer part of the deposit back if you show proof of spay/neuter?
- does the breeder offer part of the deposit back if you show proof of obedience training?
- does the breeder insist on a veterinarian visit within 24-48 hours of taking the puppy home?
- will the breeder take the puppy back with full refund or give you another puppy if the vet finds anything wrong with your new pup? (heart murmurs, luxating patellas, etc).

Why was this litter bred? How will the puppies better the breed?

Will the breeder keep in touch with you throughout the dog's life?

Does the breeder give the first set of shots and dewormings?

How often does the breeder have litters? (most good breeders have fewer than one litter a year)

Does she have a waiting list for puppies?

Does she microchip the puppies?

Some tips:
Make sure the kennels are clean.
Make sure the breeder insists on you stepping in Parvosol or bleach before meeting the puppies.
Make sure all of the breeder's dogs are clean and healthy looking (Bright, Alert, Responsive).
Make sure they have good temperaments.

Often the breeder will only have the dam on the premises. If they also have the sire, insist on meeting BOTH parents. Do not be surprised if only one parent is there, however.

The breeder should interview YOU. A good breeder WILL give you the third degree about their breed and what kind of family their puppies are potentially going to. If they do not show interest, don't buy a puppy from them, because responsible and good breeders always want to know where their puppies are going.

I've had Bushido for over seven years and his breeder still contacts me about him to make sure he's okay.
Old 11-11-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kbmagic
I would question any breeder who will actually let the puppies leave their mom at 6 weeks...WAY too soon...

Enjoy!
Actually breeders will often allow visits before the dogs are ready to go. I visited Bushido three times (3 wks, 5 wks and 7wks) before I got him at 8 weeks.
Old 11-11-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, it's usually a bad sign if the breeder "specializes" in more than one breed. If they're selling more than one breed, run away.
Old 11-11-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've angered Jerry "The King" Lawler...you've lured him into this thread thinking he'd see pics of "puppies".
Old 11-11-05, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by harpo787

You've angered Jerry "The King" Lawler...you've lured him into this thread thinking he'd see pics of "puppies".

Fixed!
Old 11-11-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm jealous!!
There is nothing better than a litter of goldens running all over you while you try to make the tough decision of which one to bring home.
Please post pics with you new friend.
Old 11-11-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Fixed!
You fixed nothing!
Old 11-11-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 155 Posts
Old 11-11-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fixed!
Isn't it still the same?
Old 11-11-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Isn't it still the same?
I think he meant he fixed the title of the thread to add ????, but he didn't do it in time. Maybe a mod who sees this can add some ??? to the thread title.
Old 11-11-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Puppies are cuddly
puppies are cute
they're never nasty or mean
I'd give a home
to all the lost puppies
if ever one day I were queen.

Puppies! Puppies!
Bouncing happy puppies,
Puppies, puppies
I love you
Puppies! Puppies
Bouncing happy puppies
lost puppies I love you
love, love..

Ok, those of you with small children and a Veggietale collection will understand.
Old 11-11-05, 08:16 PM

Old 11-11-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Too Many Puppies - Primus
Too many puppies are being shot in the dark.
Too many puppies are trained not to bark.
At the sight of blood that must be spille dso that
We may maintain our oil fields.
Too many puppies
Too many puppies are taught to heal.
Too many puppies are trained to kill.
On the command of men wearing money belts that buy
Mistresses sleek animal pelts.
Too many puppies.

Too many puppies with guns in their hands.
Too many puppies in foreign lands.
Are dressed up sharp in suits of green and
Placed upon the war machine.
Too many puppies are just like me.
Too many puppies are afraid to see.
The visions of the past brought to life again,
Too many puppies, too many dead men.
Old 11-11-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my friend brought her chocolate lab puppies by work today, man were they cute. just felt like mentioning that
Old 11-12-05, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Why was this litter bred? How will the puppies better the breed?

Will the breeder keep in touch with you throughout the dog's life?
Is that a good thing, especially? Seems a bit creepy to me.

Some tips:
Make sure the breeder insists on you stepping in Parvosol or bleach before meeting the puppies.

The breeder should interview YOU. A good breeder WILL give you the third degree about their breed and what kind of family their puppies are potentially going to. If they do not show interest, don't buy a puppy from them, because responsible and good breeders always want to know where their puppies are going.
Are you buying a dog or addopting a kid?

I've had Bushido for over seven years and his breeder still contacts me about him to make sure he's okay.
Again, creepy.

Ah, remember the old days when a dog would follow you home and become a part of your life for the next ten years. Oh well.
Old 11-12-05, 07:55 AM

Do us all a favor and go to a shelter and adopt.
Old 11-12-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perhaps Tommy Boy meant that the puppies should be fixed? Shrug...

I've noticed something else now, all humor aside, and I see some extreme breedism going on. What is this business with "better the breed"? It's this sort of propoganda that's holding back then the "less than perfect" puppies, and it's hatred I say!

On another question: dogs have patellas?
Old 11-12-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 155 Posts
The Parvasol is to keep someone from bringing diseases in with them that might infect the puppies. A good breeder would want to keep a lifelong checkup on their animals. If an animal develops a genetically based medical problem, or becomes violent, the breeder will want to know. They don't want to breed animals that are not good companions.

Responsible breeders are only interested in raising good companion or working animals, and only as many as they can be sure to find good homes for.

Irresponsible breeders now.... well, I'm not going to get into that rant here, because I could go on frothing about them for hours.
Old 11-12-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By better the breed, I mean that a good breeder isn't breeding for money. They are breeding a pair of dogs because those dogs have something special that they can pass on to the puppies whether it's something physical that matches the breed standard to a T, or great temperament (not all goldens are nice), etc.

To a good breeder, you ARE adopting a kid. One of their puppies. A good breeder will want to make sure all the puppies are going to the right homes. They actually match temperament of the person to the dog. It is rare for a good breeder to allow someone to choose which puppy they want. More often than not, the breeder will hold back one or two bright prospects for show or field, and the rest will be sold under a pet contract, which means they MUST be spayed or neutered.

Oddly enough, even at six weeks a breeder can usually tell which dogs will make the best show prospects and which should be sold as pets.

As far as the breeder keeping in contact, it isn't like she calls me once a day. She sends me invites a couple times a year to fun matches (shows where puppies and young adults learn how to show), and she occasionally emails me asking how Bushido is getting along. I know she really cares about all her dogs because she does this with every puppy she has.

A good breeder will also almost always have a waiting list for puppies, so even though you're going to see some in a litter, you won't necessarily get one from that litter. The only exceptions I've seen is when there's been an accidental breeding, or the breeder had a bitch flown out to her to mate with one of her dogs, but then couldn't send the bitch back to the other breeder.

This happened with Bushido's mom. She was shipped out here from Florida to mate with an international champion black and tan shiba, but she could not be sent back because the weather was too hot. Bushido's mom had seven puppies, which is unusual for the breed (usually only two to three are born). As the breeder only had a waiting list for red and sesame shibas at the time (she had bred her champion bitch at the same time), I was able to get a puppy without waiting more than a few weeks.

Of course all the puppies were spoken for by the time they were three weeks old. I got lucky.
Old 11-12-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by harpo787

On another question: dogs have patellas?
All mammals have knees.

Camels have four.

Dogs have a common problem called patellar luxation, where one or both kneecaps will pop in and out. It can be quite painful. It is most common in the smaller breeds such as chihuahuas or pomeranians, but bigger dogs can have the problem, too. By the way, toy breeds can get hip dysplasia too.

This is another reason for "better the breed" where if you have a dog that has the problem, you simply don't breed to that dog. It is a genetic condition.

Most of the time a good breeder is careful enough to eliminate such problems in their lines, but every once in a while something will pop up in a litter. In a show dog, this can be bad because of the time and money investment on a dog you now have to neuter and no longer show or be able to breed once they're old enough. With pet prospects it isn't such a big deal since they're supposed to be spayed or neutered anyway.

At the least, patellar luxation is an irritating problem for the dog. At the worst, it can require surgery to fix so the dog can walk.

It typically starts rearing its ugly head between six months and a year. Symptoms include kicking the affected leg (the dog attempts to pop the knee back in), pain and limping in the affected leg, loud knee cracking, and holding the leg up against the body as the dog walks.

Patellar luxation and hip dysplasia are the most common avoidable problems in dogs, yet if you breed indiscriminatly (ie: you are just breeding for money, etc.) and you do not bother to get your dogs tested for these problems, all the puppies are guaranteed to have some form of whatever genetic problems the dog and bitch possess.

Last edited by mllefoo; 11-12-05 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.