Reload this Page >

School me on bed bugs.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

School me on bed bugs.

Old 11-10-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School me on bed bugs.

So me and my wife spent this past weekend at the beach. We got in late on Friday night to the hotel so we didn't really check the bed (it's not like it's something we would normaly do anyway) The next morning I go out early and she stays in bed for a while. When I get back she asks if I was itching the night before and said that she was. She looks int he bed and finds what appear to be tiny inscet carcasses. She's freaked out at this point and we continue to look in the bed. We find a bug that sort of white in color and looks like a small tick. She calls the manager and he comes up and checks the bed and says he doesn't see any evidence of bugs in the bed (although he says he sees small specs of food which is odd considering we never ate anything in the bed) He offers to move us to another room and refund the cost of that first night. The second room is OK for that second night but the next day I see one of thos same bugs in the sink. I didn't tell my wife since she would have lost it again. We check out that day and they say they comped the whole stay, shich to me seems odd like maybe they did actually find something in that first bed.

When we get home we take off our cloths in the laundry room and wash everything that was in that hotel. Now I'm paranoid that we brought them home with us which would completely suck.

First of all do these sound like bed bugs? And secondly, are they that easy to take home with you?
Old 11-10-05, 03:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bugs

(includes photo)
Old 11-10-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you let them bite?
Old 11-10-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
You may also want to check this out, you dirty, dirty man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_lice
Old 11-10-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow..always thought it was just an old wives saying, had no idea those ugly bastards were REAL...

"sleep, tight...don't let the bed bugs bite!"
Old 11-10-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the possibilities are endless

once on 60 minutes or some other news magazine they did some tests and found that a lot of hotels, including some very expensive ones save money by not washing their sheets between guests. You don't know what those things could have been.
Old 11-10-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy

once on 60 minutes or some other news magazine they did some tests and found that a lot of hotels, including some very expensive ones save money by not washing their sheets between guests. You don't know what those things could have been.
There was one on a week ago. This one couple apparently brought them home with them. Sat the suitcase on the hotel bed, and bamm, guest travellers. They had a zillion bites on them. Looked like chicken pox. They also had their house fumigated a half dozen times and they still couldn't get rid of them.
Old 11-10-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the widespread use of DDT in the 1940s and '50s, bedbugs all but disappeared from North America in the mid-twentieth century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug...f_infestations
Old 11-10-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nazgul
With the widespread use of DDT in the 1940s and '50s, bedbugs all but disappeared from North America in the mid-twentieth century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug...f_infestations
Hence my link.
Old 11-10-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Eww
Old 11-10-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, now I'm really scared. I guess the only choice I have is to wait and see?
Old 11-10-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think it was dateline that did the story the bed bugs a few years back.
Old 11-10-05, 08:03 PM

They like toast. Lots of toast.
Old 11-10-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
WTF ????

The bedbug Xylocaris maculipennis has adapted a curious way of reproduction, that of homosexual stabbing rape. [1]

A few bedbug species make use of a mating plug, which a male inserts post-copulation. Effectively the male seals her vaginal opening upon withdrawal. This has a distinct evolutionary advantage as it prevents other males from mating with her. Some bedbug species thus employ stabbing rape, where the male impales the female via her abdomen and thus circumvents the mating plug.

In Xylocaris maculipennis, the male will at times impale and inseminate other males while they are engaged in the process of copulation. This allows the rapist's genes to enter the bloodstream to be carried to females by the victim. In this way, the rapist conceives by proxy. In A Natural History of Sex, Adrian Forsyth writes, "The sperm of the rapist enters the vas deferens of his male victim and is used by the victim during copulation." This also occurs with fresh water snails of the genus biomphalaria, that are vectors for schistosomiasis (Forsyth 1991).
Old 11-11-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And of course, hotels clean the outer blankets and bedsheets with far less frequency. You don't want to know what's on those.

I've heard many stories of bedbugs in hotel beds. During the day, they hide in really hard to get spots like in the matresses or bedframes, so just changing the sheets doesn't even help.
Old 11-11-05, 10:13 AM

my grandma always use to say 'don't let the bed bugs bite' - that would just freak me out, I would search the bed high and low trying to find something that wasn't there.

(itch, itch scratch, scratch).