Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually read their junk mail?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-09-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a condo and share a mail room with the entire community. Every Tues, Wed and Thurs along with the usual bills and such, I get a stack of full color ads for supermarkets I don't shop at and department stores I wouldn't step a foot into. The two huge garbage cans inside the room are usually always filled to the brim with fellow tenants' similar sentiments. Makes me think, "boy, what a waste of resources (trees) and wow, that's gotta be heavy for someone to haul to the huge trash receptacle."

Do you read or at least look through all the coupons, flyers and carpet cleaning ads or chuck 'em like I do?
Old 11-09-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I chuck them and I'm sure I may have tossed a bill or two along the way, accidently of course. It's the same with spam emails. Sometimes my friends' emails get dumped before I read them for having a word in the header that is filtered. I never read spam or unwanted ads in the mail.
Old 11-09-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I chuck all but the store ads that I actually shop at. Gotta get a heads-up on specials

Those that get tossed are put in the recycle bin.
Old 11-09-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Generally look at ones that have DVDs or books. Occasionally pick up some bargains that way. Must admit though, 90% of it just gets junked immediately.
Old 11-09-05, 08:16 PM

I always throw them out. Which sucks when you are actually looking for a pizza coupon.
Old 11-09-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sort my mail over a trash can
Old 11-09-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
email? no
snail mail? yes but only skimming it to make sure it isn't something actually important or some sort of sign up that indicates my identity has been stolen
Old 11-10-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I not only read my junk mail but usually go through my neighbour's mailboxes as well.
Old 11-10-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of mine I don't even look at before it hits the trash can.
Old 11-10-05, 01:11 AM
Suspended

All my bills are paid electronically, so all I get is junk mail. Nobody loves me, other than the credit card companies, and the autoloan places, and the windshield repair places, and the femmy stores, and Dell, and Shopko.
Old 11-10-05, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i just take all the free reply envelopes and stuff them with the my junk mail...that way they get some back
Old 11-10-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It gets tossed unopened with two exceptions: a regular "ValuePak" of coupons for local businesses that I often use, and anything that looks as if it might have freebie address labels in it.
Old 11-10-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some yes, some no, but those stacks of supermarket ads and other crap that come every Tuesday go straight to the recycle bin.
Old 11-10-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
9 times out of 10, I chuck.

I send the credit card/loan offers back with JUNK written real large on all their material and mail back in their pre-paid envelopes. On occasion I swap the applications. Send the home mortgage offer to the credit card company and the credit card offer to the home mortgage place. Takes all of 30 seconds to do and they lose money on it.
Old 11-10-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We got some junk mail yesterday that was a bundle of something in shrinkwrap. Our address was properly on it, but when I opened it, it was actually a stack of little book club offers, supposed to be for several people on the streets around here. The leter carrier didn't open the bundle like he was supposed to. This isn't the first bit of stupidity we've had with this letter carrier either. I was going to toss the rest, but figured it might be mailfraud so I'm going to drop them in a big blue box since our letter carrier also refuses to pickup anything from our box. How do you deal with people like this without ending up with your mail being delivered via brick thru the window?
Old 11-10-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I sort my mail over a trash can
I do the same thing. I've thrown away bills in the past by just throwing away blindly.
Old 11-10-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I generally toss the junk mail into a separate basket that I gleefully wait to open at the end of every month. My wife and I usually plan a whole Saturday around opening it all and sorting out what we will use and not use. We'll enjoy some lunch, maybe a glass of wine (or two), then we'll stack the piles accordingly and file them into the appropriate place for later use, then I'll pee in my wife's butt.....

Actually, I sort my mail over the trash can as it comes in.....