Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I am preparing to shoot a dog. Give me other alternatives.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-07-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this has been going on awhile, but I think I only posted once about it several months ago. There is one or two dogs that have been coming down to my place. At first it was merely irritating, and initially Worf would chase them off. He has given up, and on occasion my black lab will go off with them and get into mischief. She is now confined to a kennel, so that part is taken care of. I would either shoot a .22 near the dogs or in the air, and they would run away. I shot them with a bb gun as well, and now when they see me, they know they need to go away. But they still come down. Well now, they have killed two of my wife's (and kid's) chickens. Not really a big deal to me, but it is to then, and I do know that a dog that will kill animals like that, will teach other dogs (including my black lab) to do the same. I also don't want the dog to harm my cats. Same dogs use to chase my wife's horses, which is also something that cannot be tolerated. As much as I hate the horses, it would be expensive to replace them, and she would.

These things are not option....
1) There is no animal control to call because this is in the county. It don't exist here.

2) Poison won't work because of all the other animals around.

3) Contacting the owners won't work, and I don't really want to get into why, but it won't. They have been talked to, and don't care.

I am seriously on the verge of shooting these dogs, but maybe there is another way, so please help me out.
Old 11-07-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The first step is to admit you have a problem.
Old 11-07-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Shoot the owners?
Old 11-07-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Are they wild, or do you have reason to believe they belong to anyone? If they belong to someone, can you threaten them with legal action (at least replacing the chickens or something that costs money)? If they don't, can you trap them or sedate them with tranquilizers or something, and release them far away?

Sorry I don't have any witty answers, sounds like a genuine mess.
Old 11-07-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the owners don't care, then I think that gives you the green light to shoot away.
Old 11-07-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Drink some Chai tea, take a backpack and go commune with nature. Make sure to bring the incense, a frisbee, and a journal to capture your deep thoughts.

After making your journey.....get a gun, shoot near the dog, and take solace in the fact that at least it isn't a zombie.

-p
Old 11-07-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keystone Light >>>>>>>> Chai Tea
Old 11-07-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by kvrdave
...They have been talked to, and don't care...
Sounds like permission to open fire to me.

expensive and time consuming option: Capture them in humane traps, put them in travel carriers, drive at least two states away, turn them in to a shelter in a very small town (tight budget prevents possession of a chip scanner). Oh, and do this to the dogs as well.

cheap option: Depending on how good a shot you are, the price of a few rounds. That and the time it would take to bury the bodies. Oh, and do this to the dogs as well.
Old 11-07-05, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
3) Contacting the owners won't work, and I don't really want to get into why, but it won't. They have been talked to, and don't care..
I didn't catch this part before my first reply, sorry.

Boy, I don't know. Maybe you can trap them and release them elsewhere?
Old 11-07-05, 02:54 PM

i'd say shoot away
Old 11-07-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Are they wild, or do you have reason to believe they belong to anyone? If they belong to someone, can you threaten them with legal action (at least replacing the chickens or something that costs money)? If they don't, can you trap them or sedate them with tranquilizers or something, and release them far away?

Sorry I don't have any witty answers, sounds like a genuine mess.
They don't care. They live like pigs. They will not be motivated to do anything. A lawsuit will not do anything either for reasons I would rather not get into.
Old 11-07-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

And these are pretty large dogs. I don't know of any trap I could humanely use to get them. They won't fit in the raccoon traps.
Old 11-07-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Gut then affix them to the owner's front door with a large hunting knife.
Old 11-07-05, 02:57 PM

What about a tranquilizer gun? I know that sounds like a lot of trouble...

I don't know what to suggest, Dave. Having actually met you in person, you seem like a really really nice guy, and I believe you when you say you want other suggestions/options... I wish I had a good one.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it won't be an easy choice.
Old 11-07-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Gut then affix them to the owner's front door with a large hunting knife.
In all honesty, I do not think they would notice. There are generally a few deer carcases, hides, etc. laying around the place.
Old 11-07-05, 03:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sedate them with drugged hamburger meat. Tie them up. Take them to the nearest animal shelter.

If you see them coming put your dogs inside, approach them with the hamburger and let them gobble it up.
Old 11-07-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The dogs are just trying to save you from Bird Flu and you want to shoot them?!!

I don't understand how there can't be some form of animal control agency there, but I guess different states, different laws. How 'bout the sheriff? Since the dogs have killed your livestock, it would seem the sheriff could take action. Personally, I'd rather see the owners penalized than the dogs, but I semi-understand your position.
Old 11-07-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Shoot first....ask questions later....
Old 11-07-05, 03:06 PM

Seems to me ol' Worf isn't living up to the 'warriors code'.
Old 11-07-05, 03:11 PM

My dad lives in the midwest - he recently shot a dog that had been terrorizing the local deer, cows and horses. He didn't have any regrets.

If the owners have been asked to control their dogs but show no signs of working with you, and now the dogs are killing animals on your property, you have a right to defend your property (farm animals). Shoot them (discreetly) and deny any involvement if asked. I also wouldn't tell my wife or kids about doing it...kids would share this information with their friends. Despite the lack of animal control in your area, law enforcement may come into play.

Capturing them and releasing them somewhere else is just passing your problem on to someone else - not cool in my book.
Old 11-07-05, 03:14 PM

My only request is that when you shoot the dog, have somebody videotape you doing it, then upload here as a kick ass animated GIF.
Old 11-07-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Catch the dogs, then the throw them in the tank w/ the freakin' sharks that have freakin' laser beams attached to their heads!
Old 11-07-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Geez

Plese don't shoot the dogs. It's not their fault.

The owners are irresponsible assholes. Don't kill some poor dogs because of the owners' incompetence. I mean, at the very least, complain to the police if you don't have animal control. The dogs are trespassing and damaging your property. Tell the police that if the dogs come on to your property and mess with your chickens, you will shoot them because you are defending your property and are scared of the dogs (don't do it - just threaten). Tell your neighbors, too.

Are there shelters in your area? At the very least, give someone else the option of adopting the dogs if they neighbors don't care and you just want to shoot.

Call me a "bleeding heart" - but there is just no reason to shoot a pet because the owners are complete morons.
Old 11-07-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think I've ever had the life experience necessary to qualify me for advising kvrdave on any of these posts. This pleases me greatly.

das
Old 11-07-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by orangerory
Call me a "bleeding heart" - but there is just no reason to shoot a pet because the owners are complete morons.
Yeah, but try explaining that to the chickens.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.