Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone know about chicago's culinary schools?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-07-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about going back to school and getting a degree in culinary arts. Can anyone who lives in Chicago, or knows anything about the culinary schools here, help me out. What are some good schools? I want to attend downtown since thats where I live. I've looked into The Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago Culinary School so far. Seems to be the most popular. If anyone has any tips or advice for it would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

next time I'm in chicago you can make me food...thats the only way I can help...by letting you practice
Old 11-07-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

when i went to northwestern there was a culinary school there in evanston called kendall college, i think. from what i was told it was a really good culinary school. i stayed an extra year in chicago after i graduated and thought about taking classes at kendall but i never did.

www.kendall.edu
Old 11-07-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
when i went to northwestern there was a culinary school there in evanston called kendall college, i think. from what i was told it was a really good culinary school. i stayed an extra year in chicago after i graduated and thought about taking classes at kendall but i never did.

www.kendall.edu

checked them out, seem pretty nice
Old 11-07-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

not sure about Chicago, but there is a good one near NYC called CIA. Culinary Institute of America. It costs around $40,000 a year for a 4 year degree.
Old 11-07-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ya ive known about them, but I need to stay in downtown chicago
Old 11-07-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
not sure about Chicago, but there is a good one near NYC called CIA. Culinary Institute of America. It costs around $40,000 a year for a 4 year degree.

so $160k?!

Damn. For that kind of money I'd consider moving to france and going to one of their schools. If I knew french and if I wanted to cook.

-p
Old 11-07-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

now i know why good resturants are so damn expensive. executive chefs have tutiion bills that rank near doctors.
Old 11-07-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah CIA is a great school but I often find that people who go there are more impressed with the prestige that comes with the school and less worried about the education they receive.

I always thought I'd be working in a high end hotel but then I found out first hand that the pay sucks and you'd be working yourself into an early grave to pay off those bills. I work in a family style restaurant, for the time being, and make far more than I did at the hotel, I'm the boss and I don't have to deal with snotty CIA graduates like I did at the hotel. It's a much better gig here.
Old 11-07-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Yeah CIA is a great school but I often find that people who go there are more impressed with the prestige that comes with the school and less worried about the education they receive.

I always thought I'd be working in a high end hotel but then I found out first hand that the pay sucks and you'd be working yourself into an early grave to pay off those bills. I work in a family style restaurant, for the time being, and make far more than I did at the hotel, I'm the boss and I don't have to deal with snotty CIA graduates like I did at the hotel. It's a much better gig here.
So I take it that you are a chef/cook. Can I ask you how you like and any advice if I should follow in this career?
Old 11-08-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^^
Old 11-08-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry I was slow to respond.

I always loved to cook and I had never had a job outside the field before going to culinary school. The schools are all real tough and the one I went to was adamant about not missing classes. I think you missed 3 classes and you were history. I missed one day thanks to a family emergency, one cause of a awful hangover and had to pass up an Aerosmith concert so stay in school.

The classes were pretty tough and exams were grueling. The teachers were pretty cool for the most part and would share some stories from their previous cooking experiences. Other teachers were awful and classes with them were hell.

I ended up going to Orlando to work at the Hytatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort. I thought it would mean prestige and big bucks. I worked my ass off for 5 years and got nowhere. I planned on transferring to the Pittsburgh Hyatt when it opened so I filled out all the transfer papers, packed up and moved back around where I grew up. Turns out that I had to re-apply for the job and it wasn't a transfer so the company royally screwed me over.

Currently I work in a family style restaurant. People think my culinary degree is going to waste but I'm the boss in the kitchen and make more now than I did at the hotel. Granted this isn't the job I thought I would have but if it wasn't for credit card debt racked up while I held my lesser paying job I'd be doing pretty well right now. In a few years I would like to try stepping back up the ladder a bit and working at a place where I use my skills a bit more.

I read the online comic Real Life and recently the artist had the great idea to go to culinary school. It seems that he has no prior experience cooking and I've never seen him show an interest in the field. I rarely see these types of people make a real career out of it. When in school we were always told that the culinary industry was such a tense career that within 10 years over half the people who finished school would leave the culinary arts and pursue other jobs. With 9 years under my belt I can see how that is the case. It's a demanding job where wages aren't what you make think but if you enjoy cooking like I do then it can be a satisfying career.

If you have any other questions just IM me. Or you can wait till I get my 360 and I'm finally back on live and we can chat on there. Good luck.
Old 11-08-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone ever watch The Restaraunt on CNBC? It's a reality show about someone who opened a new restaraunt. The stress level is crazy and the hours suck
Old 11-08-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
anyone ever watch The Restaurant on CNBC? It's a reality show about someone who opened a new restaurant. The stress level is crazy and the hours suck
My boss loves that show and Hell's kitchen. I can't watch them because I've dealt with too many crazy folks to find enjoyment in these shows. Tension and anger levels run real high in these kitchens.

I remember when Bruce Springsteen had his concert in Orlando years ago. We got a call that his wife wanted French Onion soup when she got back to the hotel. The call came in as I was leaving to go home but the graveyard cook had no idea how to make. I had to stay for about 4 hours on top of my regular shift to make her some soup. Was it my job? Sure but I think they needed a better trained graveyard guy and not someone who just floated over on a raft from another country. I went home so pissed and told the head chef the next day they needed a skilled cook at all times.

All the other famous people and royalty I cooked for were really cool but when you cook for people like this the stakes are raised even higher so imagine these shows you enjoy taken to the next level.
Old 11-08-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
My boss loves that show and Hell's kitchen. I can't watch them because I've dealt with too many crazy folks to find enjoyment in these shows. Tension and anger levels run real high in these kitchens.

I remember when Bruce Springsteen had his concert in Orlando years ago. We got a call that his wife wanted French Onion soup when she got back to the hotel. The call came in as I was leaving to go home but the graveyard cook had no idea how to make. I had to stay for about 4 hours on top of my regular shift to make her some soup. Was it my job? Sure but I think they needed a better trained graveyard guy and not someone who just floated over on a raft from another country. I went home so pissed and told the head chef the next day they needed a skilled cook at all times.

All the other famous people and royalty I cooked for were really cool but when you cook for people like this the stakes are raised even higher so imagine these shows you enjoy taken to the next level.
Wow! I know how to make french onion soup. That sucked.