Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Got a letter saying that i have parking ticket from over ayear ago.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-02-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a letter saying that i owe $70 for a parking ticket i got on 07/09/04. I know that i payed it off, but i don't have a receipt. I haven't even heard from these people in well over a year. Why would they just send me a bill out of the blue? I remember paying it, but i don't have any records of it.

Any advice? I'm calling them tomorrow to try and straighten this out, but there's no way in hell i'm paying it.
Old 11-02-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How'd you pay? Your bank (check or credit card) might have a record.
Old 11-02-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't by chance be from Oregon, would you? Oregon Department of Revenue has been infamous over the last 3 years grabbing older tickets and violations which have little chance of being fought due to most people losing their receipts or just plain forgetting.

Previously, and only a few months ago, Oregon could suspend your license for refusal of payment but I believe the law has changed due to some large protests and media coverage.

The court house should have a receipt if it's only a little over a year. If they don't, ask for a supervisor and start making complaints. After all, if they can't keep records of payment, how do they know you didn't pay for the ticket?
Old 11-02-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could always write back and tell them that you paid it... twice, and you want a refund of one of the payments.
Old 11-02-05, 10:17 PM

I would let them know that you paid it but can't find the receipt. When they tell you have to pay it again offer to pay them in with bits of string and if they refuse ask to see where it specifies that you can't pay with bits of string. If for some reason some one else has tried this and they do have a no bits of string policy than offer them 70 bananas.
Old 11-03-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPDATE:

Well i talked to to the supervisor there and they told me that they never received payment. They then tell me that the only way that they would take the fine off is if i could produce a receipt or something that shows payment.

At this point they also inform me that i had been taken to a Collection Agency. Which kinda blew my mind a little. Which I then asked why they hadn't informed me that they were going to do this, Their response, "Well, we did send you a letter in August of last year." Which i replied, "Well i did send you a payment." And they said they never received it. So, the big problem i asked is why am i being sent to a collection agency now and why didn't send me anything about this in over a year? They simply said that it takes that long to process their collection notices(Bull) and that letter they sent in august last year was a final notice.

I then told them that i talked to someone over there last year about the ticket and asked if they had any record of that phone call. They replied that they don't keep records on that.

So, after that call, i called my credit card company to check and see if i made a payment. Unfortunately, they said that they could only look up records from the past six months, but they could send me copies from that time frame. Only that it would take 7-10 business days for them to arrive. Here's the big problem with that. The letter i got said that payment had to be made by Nov. 8th. and there is no way the letters from Citibank are going to get here in time.

So the question is, do i bite the bullet and pay the MAN and hope maybe get a refund if i find that i did make a payment before, or do i hold out and maybe suffer the consequences?

It just pisses me off so much, i keep pretty good records i think. I keep my bank statements and CC stuff usually between 6 months to a year. I would have kept better records if i had thought that something i paid off over a year ago would be come back to haunt me. It seems like they are just trying to screw people over who don't keep Excellent records. I mean i didn't even receive their letter till OCT. 31 and it was dated OCT 18. and they said i had 21 days to make payment, there was no way i could get the CC records in time for that. GRRRR. Could someone post that wacky dancing thing from the OFFICE to make me feel better tonight? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 11-03-05, 09:58 PM

i would not pay until you can look over your statements. If you pay again, the odds are that it will be even harder to get a refund.
Old 11-03-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tbone
If you pay again, the odds are that it will be even harder to get a refund.
If that happens, just park illegally somewhere and it will all even out.
Old 11-04-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't pay and dispute the bill with the collection agency.
Old 11-04-05, 10:26 AM

Call and demand to talk to a supervisor.
Old 11-04-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
$70 isn't worth the stress. Just pay it and move on.
Old 11-04-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
$70 isn't worth the stress. Just pay it and move on.
Old 11-04-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Oh, and call your local TV news. "Eyewitness news on your side" or whatever. You could get your 15 minutes out of this!