Reload this Page >

semi experts wanted on car tires and sizing

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-01-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get snow tires in the next month or so.

Here's what's on my car now: P205/55R16

Obviously, even to me, these are 16" rims.

I'd like to know what size tires I'd need for 15" rims, and also if I have any other size options on 16" rims other than 205/55.

Thanks very much.
Old 11-01-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't know why I didn't do this before I posted, but I checked Tirerack.com and it looks like I can use any of the following:

15" Recommended: 205/60-15
16" Recommended: 205/55-16
15" Alternate: 195/65-15

Sounds right?
Old 11-01-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

205 is the width and 55 is the profile height (thickness).

you would have to know the width of the rim to see how much you can vary, but something close should fit fine.

for the 15 inch rim, you probably want at least a 65 or more to compensate for the smaller rim. so I would go 205/65 or similar. if you have a wide rim, go for a 215.

on the 16" you might rub if you go to a bigger tire. both in the width and profile. need more info. or better stick with the same size.

are you sure the 15" wheels fit? right bolt pattern/dia? what kind of car is it? the wheels are stock? I am sure you can get much better answers if you go to a forum with enthusianst for that specific car.
Old 11-01-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hey you snuck that 2nd post in while I was typing.. well it seems like they took your stock wheel and figured a 215 wouldn't fit.
Old 11-01-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grrrah
hey you snuck that 2nd post in while I was typing.. well it seems like they took your stock wheel and figured a 215 wouldn't fit.
Yah. Sorry.

It's my 2006 Civic. Stock alloy rims, but I might get steel ones for the winter.

The bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Can I assume that rims from a Jetta (5x100) won't fit?
Old 11-01-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey Steve .. I pm'd you a specific site that might help ya out. Though, I don't know if it went through correctly. If you don't get it and are interested, just let me know.
Old 11-01-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PMs don't work here. Try an email through the site.
Old 11-01-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.. oops. that's actually what I meant to say ..
Old 11-01-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by visitor Q
.. oops. that's actually what I meant to say ..
Didn't work.
Old 11-02-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stevevt
Yah. Sorry.

It's my 2006 Civic. Stock alloy rims, but I might get steel ones for the winter.

The bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Can I assume that rims from a Jetta (5x100) won't fit?
they might make an adapter, but it's not a direct fit. be careful, as adapters are usually fairly thick, and will make the wheel stick out more, and possibly cause rubbing. when looking for rims, look for diameter, width, bolt pattern and offset. if you look on civic forums, you might be able to find someone who's upgrading and looking to get rid of 15's.

and here's a nice tire/wheel comparison tool.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 11-02-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grrrah
215 should fit fine. not sure what the stock rim width is, but 215 should be good for 6-7.5". your odo would be slightly off though.
Old 11-22-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just thought I'd follow up in case anyone else goes through the same deal.

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
they might make an adapter, but it's not a direct fit. be careful, as adapters are usually fairly thick, and will make the wheel stick out more, and possibly cause rubbing. when looking for rims, look for diameter, width, bolt pattern and offset. if you look on civic forums, you might be able to find someone who's upgrading and looking to get rid of 15's.

and here's a nice tire/wheel comparison tool.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Thanks for that calculator. It was useful. As far as getting somebody's 15's, only the DX Civic came with that size, and it seems like very few of them are getting made and sold.

I ended up buying used alloys from a local guy who had them on his 2002 Honda Accord. They look like this:

They're Honda OEM, and he showed me his receipt for $760ish for the 4 of them. In near-mint condition. I gave him $200. I think they're kind of ugly, but certainly worth what I paid.

As far as tires...

I've been looking around on Craigslist (they have a ton of local cities now) and the local classifieds, and almost ended up getting a couple different sets of tires, but nothing panned out. In the mean time, I've been going to actual stores and pricing out my options for new tires. Sears, Costco, a couple big independent places. Only one of the independent places carries Nokians, though, and by this weekend I had pretty much settled on getting the relatively new Hakkapelitta RSI (Warning: link contains sound). And I also decided I didn't get a great vibe out of that Nokian dealer.

I remembered, or someone mentioned, that the mechanic who I used to take my Subaru to carries Nokian. So I called him Monday and arranged to drop off the rims today. Naturally, since we got a bunch of snow today, he ended up not getting to them. And I found out my car with the stock "all season" tires is probably more than half decent in the snow. But I'll have them tomorrow, which will work out well. I've had Hakkas in the past -- model 1, I think -- and my only complaint was their dry cornering performance. I guess the RSIs are better in general, but the lower profile vs. what the Subie used might end up helping beyond tread pattern and rubber* compound.

*The tread is apparently made out of a "rape seed oil - silica compound" with some rubber thrown in the mix.
Old 11-22-05, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevevt
*The tread is apparently made out of a "rape seed oil - silica compound" with some rubber thrown in the mix.
Old 11-22-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

glad it panned out for ya. stock wheels and tires usually go very cheap online, so that's definately a good choice.
Old 11-23-05, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My uncle drives a semi. I could ask him for you, if you have any further questions.