Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here practice martial arts?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone here practice martial arts?

Old 11-01-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have taken Kosetumi Seiei Khan (basically an americanized version of Shotokan) for many years as a child and worked up to a purple belt. I took Yang Mantis Tai Chi for almost a year but my instructor was neglecting the energy side of Tai Chi which pretty much made the style just a dance so i left that dojo. Recently I have went back to my old childhood dojo and began practicing again but have considered looking into the Jujitsu classes in the area just because i really could use learning some ground techniques.

I do wish i could find either a decent relatively traditional Kendo dojo or a traditional Kung Fu dojo. No Kendo in my area and the Kung Fu dojo might be decent but it gives off a "Learn Wushu in 10 easy lessons" vibe that i just can't get over.
Old 11-01-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cousin is quite active in a martial art called Han Mu Do.

He's been trying to convince me to go with him. I keep telling him maybe when I have health insurance.
Old 11-02-05, 07:29 AM

Old 11-02-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My entire family studies Isshinryu. We've been doing it for a couple of years now. The kids started first and we followed 6 months after. Some of our friends think it's a little strange that a couple of forty somethings are doing kara-tay but we all are having a great time.

It's improved our flexibility, strength and confidence. It's a great way to get into shape.
Old 01-22-08, 07:35 AM

[I presume its better to necro than start a new thread?]

I'm a BJJ guy myself, though I've studied a few other things over the years (mostly just briefly, except for something called Zhuan Shu Kuan: basically kickboxing with some traditional trimmings). I go into painfully longwinded detail here.
Old 03-14-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just started Krav Maga. hoooly shit.. most intense workout of my life. Not for the weak

Highly recommend.. Just started, so opinion may change, but its awesome so far!
Old 03-14-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BJJ and Muay Thai here... I much prefer grappling as it doesn't take near as much energy, but there is something about giving a guy a knee to the face thats just so satisfying.
Old 03-14-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm a 5th degree black belt in the internet fighting discipline...

that count?...
Old 03-14-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 286 Likes on 200 Posts
Just the HTH stuff from the Army and a little collegiate style wrestling with a buddy. I have been looking at Krav Maga, though.
Old 03-14-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I still practice Aikido but have also studied Shotokan and Escrima/Arnis. Escrima is actually my favorite. You start off with weapons and end up empty handed. You do get a lot of bruising, though.
Old 03-14-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
I haven't been practicing seriously for a few years, but I did spend about 20 years studying Burmese Bando. I found that the style of martial art is not as important as finding the right instructor (someone who is knowledgable and skilled in the martial arts, as well as a good teacher).

What style are you studying?
Not knowing that Burmese Bando was an actual style, I took this post and the ones following it as a total joke.

Finally... finally I know what your name means.

<hr>

Doing some sort of martial arts training (or, say, more practical self-defense) is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Is this something that's worthwhile just to learn some basics? Not to go into the ring, not to start a fight, just to learn enough so if you're ever (God forbid) in a situation where you have to defend yourself, you can fare better than not knowing anything. Or is this more along the lines of, say, learning a musical instrument where if you're going to do it, it helps to devote yourself to it for a long time?

Because I can honestly say I find it intriguing, but I wouldn't be able to run the schedule that WhoGirl had. Krav Maga is what has piqued my interest, specifically.
Old 03-14-08, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Used too, I could never really find a style/school I liked though. All them were either heavy into "testing" (aka bonus fees for them) or more of the "spiritual" aspects of the art. I've tried TaeKwonDo (all the schools are big into testing), TaiChi (not really considered a martial art by some and although it can be heavy into the spiritual my instructor wasn't, but he stopped teaching ), Aikido (really enjoyed this but some of the spiritual aspects I didn't care for) and Hapkido (testing and unrealistic "one hit/one kill/don't practice counters" approach drove me away). Once I get some free time again I want to check out Krav Maga http://www.kravmaga.com/krav01.html or http://www.krav-maga.com/index2.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga it's the technique used by the Israeli Defense Force.

Completely forgot about this thread... I've been doing Krav for over a year now and really enjoying. It doesn't seem to be a very popular art (as in you aren't going to find a school on every corner) but if anyone is looking for something to do I recommend it. Although I guess it depends upon the school/instructors. I've only really tried one place, w/ a couple of lessons at another, but what I really like about it is that it really seems to be a practical art. Instead of forcing you into trying to get the highest kick (like karate/TaeKwonDo) or remember some really elaborate sequence of moves (like Aikido) it's about simple moves, finding out what your body can do and pushing yourself a little harder each class.
Old 03-14-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I'm no longer training with Matt Serra because I'm not working on Long Island anymore. The training was so top notch, I was more upset that I couldn't train with them than I was about being laid off. So I'm back with a basic BJJ in Rochester.

I'm a 4th degree Black Belt in Isshyn Ryu karate which is a traditional based okinowan style of karate. I really haven't trained much in karate in recent months. My instructor is so in to katas and weapons (forms for you Tae Kwon Do folks) that it just got boring. Quite frankly they started to promote too many people based on time in instead of quality of performance, so every class is spent trying to fix things that should have been fixed ages ago. I just like sparring, I would do it every class. I know it's not a real fight, but the timing, distancing, and speed are such an adrenaline rush, plus the excercise is first rate.
Old 03-15-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Instead of forcing you into trying to get the highest kick (like karate/TaeKwonDo) or remember some really elaborate sequence of moves (like Aikido) it's about simple moves, finding out what your body can do and pushing yourself a little harder each class.
I guess it depends on what school you studied Aikido from. There are several different thoughts and ideas that were impemented after O'Sensei passed away that are very useful. There are efficient movements and directly to the point when in a dangerous situations. I do like the concept of being able to defend against multiple attacks. However, most schools keep to tradition and still teach a lot stuff that wouldn't really work in a real life situation.

I guess Bruce Lee was right about every art being a "Classical Mess". Too much show and you really have to pull out what would really work. That's the reason I really like Escrima/Arnis. It's to the point. I'm going to maim you if I see you as a threat. Weapon or no weapon.

Realistically, though, a gun is your best defense. Go to a gun range and get some training. Fuck martial arts.
Old 03-15-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Boo. Nearest Krav Maga place is like 1.5+ hours away. What a bunch of Betty Crocker.
Old 03-15-08, 08:29 AM

One of the biggest problems around here is finding a good club to join... I wanted something for exercise mostly where I would not leave battered every night.

I ended up joining a karate dojo that follows the Tsuruoka style. The most surprising thing was the age of the people. I would guess the average age is probably 35, if not 40, in our adult class. I was also pleased that while it is fairly easy going, when you look at the brown belts, you can get tell on how they are progressing. It's amusing when I think that we only have something like 4 white belts, 1 yellow, a couple of oranges, 2 greens, 2 blues but then you turn around to ~10 browns and ~18 black belts but yet they are all folks who have earned them. That was my first indication that I have found the right place.

I guess the only downside is that I am absolutely hopeless at it. I am thinking I will refuse my grading to green so I can practice my basics for another 6-8 months. (Edit: Ps- I am about the level to be expected at orange and have been there over 1.5 years , I didn't want folks to think I'd been there a few months only!)
Old 03-15-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I fence epee (occasionally competetively), and I've studied traditional Chinese swordsmanship for a number of years.

And these arts are very practical---if I'm ever confronted on the street by a gang of honorable thugs, and the leader presents me with a sword, and challenges me to a swordfight, then he's in trouble.
Old 03-15-08, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
BJJ and Muay Thai here... I much prefer grappling as it doesn't take near as much energy, but there is something about giving a guy a knee to the face thats just so satisfying.
I'm much happier not getting hit in the face anymore, and I find grappling generally to be less injury prone. Also find grappling a much tougher workout than I ever faced when doing stand-up, though on the other hand I think I see what you mean about taking less energy, if you're with someone less experienced. With a gi you can relax and watch new people waste energy jumping around all over the place, though I guess you can do the same to a certain extent with stand-up (backing away and staying defensive with new people, presuming they aren't too big).

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Just the HTH stuff from the Army and a little collegiate style wrestling with a buddy
Were you in the army recently, so they'd started the BJJ related stuff?

I've always wanted to give wrestling a go, but there isn't too much here in the UK. There are a few clubs, but tend not to do drop-in classes: London has two I can think of. Great sport, and would definitely help my takedowns - think I'd prefer it to judo, but thats probably just me being a wuss because the only time I ever took judo, I got an injury in my second class that put me out for seven months.

For people looking for a place to train/advice on picking a school, I tend to recommend this extensive FAQ.
Old 03-15-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 286 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by slideyfoot
Were you in the army recently, so they'd started the BJJ related stuff?
Nah, I was in 15-20 years ago. The HTH stuff we got was very simple and straight forward (much like Krav Maga I understand).

-Goal to quickly incapacitate or kill foe.
-Immediate, rapid, numerous and decisive strikes to deliver maximum damage to eyes, throat, collarbone, solar plexus, groin, knees using helmet, stick, rock, or hands and feet.
-Avoid "going to ground" if at all possible.
-Avoid grapples lasting more than a moment, use only to control foe long enough to deliver a strike.

All the stuff in FM 21-150, which I understand has been superseded.
Old 03-15-08, 03:22 PM

Thanks for this thread! I've been looking to get into shape and the Krav Maga sounds interesting but I'm worried. I'm a small guy- 5'7 115lbs would I get my ass kicked pretty bad if I joined? Do you need to be pretty fit when you start? I found a place in my town that teaches it; anyone know any questions to ask them or things to look out for before joining? Many thanks for any assistance!
Old 03-15-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I took karate in college. I ended up bein gon eof the best in the class at defending, and one of the worst at anything offensive. I think the purple nerples in high school helped a lot with the defense.
Old 03-15-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts
^^^ so today I learned there was another term for "titty twister"...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4hGimgHa0o&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4hGimgHa0o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RH50nZMU0PA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RH50nZMU0PA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 03-15-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried Brazilian Jiu Jitsu theo ther day I loved it! Too bad its over $1,000 a year to join the gym, and I would never be at home at night.
Old 03-15-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Been doing karate (combination of Korean Tae Kwon Do and Japanese Karate) for a year now (just made red belt today ) Also kickboxing it's a good workout and I seem to have found a good group of instructors. Our founder just got his 9th degree within the last 2-3 months. For anyone intesrested http://nationalkarate.com/
Old 03-15-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I miss martial arts. I took some Jiu Jitsu very casually years ago. I really enjoyed it but I am so out of shape these days I would just embarrass myself walking into the local school.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.