Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Other Draft Game: It's a Wonderful/Awful Life! (Rules, Commentary, Explanation)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Other Draft Game: It's a Wonderful/Awful Life! (Rules, Commentary, Explanation)

Old 11-01-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so there's been a DVD and TV Draft game, a Music Draft game, a Video Game Draft game... so what to do with Other? I thought about this while in the shower, long and hard, and came up with this:

Since "Other" is about everything else this draft game needs to be about everything else. That means food, restaurants, booze, men/women, cars, cities, etc. So, over the course of ten rounds, you pick something out of these categories:

The Categories
  • A Place to Live. Actual places like Kalamazoo, MI or Albany, NY, or El Paso, TX. Someone else can pick a neighboring town but if you pick a neighborhood within a large metropolitan area (say, you pick SoHo) no one else can pick that area (I can't pick Upper East Side).
  • A Companion for Life. Please pick both a real-life man and woman (living or dead) whom you would pick as a companion.
  • Your Illustrious Career. What is your job? Any position is fine, as long as it is a real job. If it seems doubtful, provide evidence that there is such a job.
  • A Car to Drive. Pick a car that will be your only mode of transportation. Pick a make and model. If you wish, you can pick a year and trim, but no one can duplicate your make and model. (If you pick a 1999 Ford F150 Supercab I can't pick a 2006 Harley-Davidson F150).
  • A Restaurant to Eat At. This is the food you will have to eat for the rest of your life. You must pick a well-known national restaurant chain (McDonald's, Hardee's, Ruth's Chris) or, if you pick a local or regional restaurant, it must have a webpage where you can link to menus so people can vote accordingly.
  • An Alcohol to Drink. Bad news! You are limited only to one brand of alcohol. You can't pick broad categories (beer, wine, whiskey), so please note the brand (Budweiser, Jack Daniel's, Robert Mondavi Private Reserve Chardonnay). Note we don't need vintages for wine. (You snobs).
  • Clothes to Wear. You can only shop from one store. Therefore, stores that carry only men's or women's clothing might be a bad pick. But who knows, pick Talbot's anyway. You might go all the way.
  • A Pet. Pick a pet. As long as it's an animal (real or extinct), you're fine.
  • A President to Lead You. Pick any real person (living or dead) to act as the head of state of where you live. This can be a current politician, or someone who is not in politics (Bono), or someone who you'd never think of being in politics (the black guy from Law & Order).

The 10th category I will leave up to you guys. I will pick it and complete it sometime today. I hope to have somewhere between 16 to 32 players.

Here's the trick though... there will be two winners. After the first round, all the winners will compete in brackets against each other for the prize for It's a Wonderful Life. All the losers will compete against each other for the prize of It's an Awful Life!. So, you can either stack your roster of picks with the good (Porsche Carrera, pet T. Rex, Carmen Electra) or the bad (Renault 4, McDonald's, Carmen Electra).

Your picks don't have to be in any order, so you can draft Pet, Job, or City first or last. Picking begins tomorrow, Wednesday, at 11:55AM EST. We will use the forum's timestamp as proof.
Old 11-01-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why pick both a male and female companion?
Old 11-01-05, 10:07 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by B.A.
In The Bus's world, all participants are bi-sexual?
Old 11-01-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Bus

I thought about this while in the shower, long and hard ...
Wow.

das
Old 11-01-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So for the 10th category each person makes up whatever they want, or we need to come up with a 10th category here?
Old 11-01-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in.
Old 11-01-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume we can make your best/worst picks overall... for instance, you could live in Antarctica and still eat at Burger King, even though they haven't expanded to that continent yet?
Old 11-01-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by B.A.
Well, you pick a female for the people that want females. You pick a male for people that want females. The leftover gender gets to be a gardener/cook/waitstaff/Kato Kaelin.
Old 11-01-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What if I want the black guy from Law & Order to be my president and my hetero-lifemate?
Old 11-01-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I assume we can make your best/worst picks overall... for instance, you could live in Antarctica and still eat at Burger King, even though they haven't expanded to that continent yet?
Yes.

So for the 10th category each person makes up whatever they want, or we need to come up with a 10th category here?
We need to come up with a category. I was thinking "snacks" although we already (sort of) have a food category.
Old 11-01-05, 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=The Bus]shower, long and hard, and came

:nopics:
Old 11-01-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yes.

We need to come up with a category. I was thinking "snacks" although we already (sort of) have a food category.
How about "hobby"?
Old 11-01-05, 01:12 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in.
Old 11-01-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Suggestions for #10:

*Snack
*Motivational Poster like these: http://www.artinspires.com/display_motivational.asp (actual ones, not made up ones)
*Famous Quote for your front door
*Piece of Exercise Equipment (dumbell, bowflex)
*One incurable disease/handicap you must live with
*Pick a number between 1 and 100
*Favorite theory or scientific principle
*Hobby/Individual Sport you could master
*A janitor (any famous person) to clean up after you
*A janitor (?) to bathe you
Old 11-01-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really understand any of the above.
Old 11-01-05, 02:12 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Suggestions for #10:
*A janitor to bathe you
What kind of janitors did you know?

Old 11-01-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vryce
What kind of janitors did you know?
Very thorough ones. With soft hands.
Old 11-01-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So how do we join and how does the draft process work?
Old 11-01-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
I don't really understand any of the above.
Strong agreement.

OK, so assume we do have this draft. What exactly is the competition?
Old 11-01-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in. I can see where this draft game is going to be a lot of fun and lead to a lot of debate.
Old 11-01-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what do I have to do? Just show up tomorrow at 11:55 and it will be explained? Will there be a fixed time period for the draft?
Old 11-01-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Count me in I love losing in these drafts.
Old 11-01-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in.
Old 11-01-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, what you're doing is forming a "life" for someone to leave. You're basically creating a version of Heaven or Hell for someone.

So, say I pick:

- New York City, NY
- Denise Richards / George Clooney
- Architect
- Mercedes E-Class AMG
- Ruth's Chris Steak House
- Johnny Walker Blue
- Brooks Brothers
- Pet tiger (trained)
- George Washington (resurrected)
- etc.

OK, at the end of my draft that is what I have drafted (over ten days). Now, you decide if living that life above is Wonderful or Awful. You cast your vote by comparing your life as decided by me versus your life as decided by my opponent's (say he picked Carrot Top, Des Moines, Hardee's etc.).

In Round 1, everyone wins. All the winners go to the "Wonderful" category, all the losers go to the "Awful" category. Basically, the two people who win will be one who has the Best of the Best, and the other, the Worst of the Worst.

The trick is, you don't know if everyone else is going for Best of the Best or Worst of the Worst so you have to decide if you want to draft Best, Worst, or just hedge your bets somehow.

The point of the voting is this. You're given two options (Player 1 and Player 2): You have to lead one of these lives. Which is Wonderful? Which is Awful?

If (after the first round) you're in the Wonderful category, only "Wonderful" votes will keep you alive. If you're in the "Awful" category, only "Awful" votes will keep you alive.

Let's take this example. We'll do it based on just places to live.

Player 1 picks Upper East Side, New York.
Player 2 picks Haight Ashbury, San Francisco.
Player 3 picks Calcutta.
Player 4 picks Miami.

1 and 3 face off. People overwhelmingly pick NY as wonderful. Player 1 goes to the "Wonderful" group. Player 3 goes to the "Awful" group.

2 and 4 face off. Miami wins by a small margin. 4 goes to "Wonderful", 2 goes to "Awful".

Now, New York and Miami face off. More people pick Player 4 to be "Wonderful" so player 1 gets eliminated and is out of the game.

Calcutta and San Francisco face off. More people pick Player 3 as the "Awful" life. Player 2 gets eliminated.

So, there's two objectives, and they are diametrically opposed.

And I like all of Thor's suggestions. Maybe #10 will be a wild card.
Old 11-01-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No wild card, just pick one. So is this draft really going to take 10 days? How is the draft order determined?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.