Reload this Page >

What Comes First, Cardio or Lifting?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-31-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the people who hit the gym on the regular, which do you tackle first? Moreover, is it better to do one before the other or doesn't it matter? I typically get my cardio in first and then hit the weights, but wondered if there's a preferred one to do first.
Old 10-31-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cardio to get your heart rate up, then weights, then cardio to cool down is the standard, I believe. I've known people that go straight into weights to begin their workout.
Old 10-31-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I alternate days. Cardio is better to lose weight. Weights are better to build muscle.
Old 10-31-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I alternate days. Cardio is better to lose weight. Weights are better to build muscle.

I've gotta be doing something wrong (or my body is backward) since I bulk up with cardio and slim down with weights. I think I eat too little when I lift so I just burn off more calories that way and eat more when I am doing cardio (for energy).
Old 10-31-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

That is odd.
Old 10-31-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know anyone who does both cardio and weights who starts with weights. That's not to say that people don't, but I think the great majority do cardio and then do weights.

I work out 4 or 5 days per week, but I have been slipping since becoming a dad and just try and make sure I get my cardio done. Weights have become less of a priority for me since I'm never going to have sex with another woman in my life.

My brother, however, is a work out nut and goes almost every day and when I'm in town visiting, he always begins with cardio and then does his weights afterwards.
Old 11-01-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would generally do a 15-20 min warmup cardio, lift weights, and then do a 45 min cardio, going into a cool down phase. Maybe once a week I would do a day of all cardio, but not often.

Granted, I don't do anything now as I have become lazy. Lazy = cool.
Old 11-01-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

From what I was told a by a trainer many years ago, even if you're not "doing cardio" you still want to do 15-20 minutes of cardio. It stimulates the heart and will increase blood and oxygen flow through your body, giving you a more effective workout.
Old 11-01-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since I'm mainly on a workout program to gain lean muscle, I'll do 5-10 mins of cardio on an eliptical just to warm up the muscles, which is important to help prevent injuries, then I hit the weights. Once a week or so I'll do just cardio for half an hour or so to keep the heart/body in shape.
Old 11-01-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I alternate days. I lift Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday and run Monday, Wednesday, Saturday. Friday, I drink fine beers.
Old 11-01-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

5-10 min warm up, lift, then 30-45 min cardio.
Old 11-01-05, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I alternate days. I lift Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday and run Monday, Wednesday, Saturday. Friday, I drink fine beers.
Same here. Except substitute fine whiskey for beer.

Seriously though. I am a firm believer in alternating days if for only one reason: Once you are through lifting weights, your body needs nutrition (re: protein). A slight cardio workout pre-weight lifting is probably a decent thing to do though - gets the blood flowing and loosens up your joints.
Old 11-01-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

weights first, then cardio or squash.
Old 11-01-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

warmup - weights -cardio

don't do cardio level excercise during warmup or else you will deplete your glycogen stores which are best used for lifting weights, then when they are all gone is when you do cardio.
Old 11-01-05, 04:23 PM

well said grrrah.

i lift and then do cardio when i cut. if u do cardio first, ur body uses up ur glycogen, and when it's time to lift, u lift like shit. if u lift first and do cardio later, ur body burns fat cause there's not enough glycogen to use.
Old 11-01-05, 04:36 PM

if you do cardio, then just do cardio. same goes for lifting. don't lift weights for 30-45 min then do another 30 min of cardio.
your basically putting your body in a catabolic state.
after lifting your body needs food I.E post workout protein shake.

its ideal to do cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and then do your lifting in the evening with a protein shake right after.
Old 11-01-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by enrage
if you do cardio, then just do cardio. same goes for lifting. don't lift weights for 30-45 min then do another 30 min of cardio.

its ideal to do cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and then do your lifting in the evening with a protein shake right after.
Truth.
Old 11-01-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a day-alternator. Intense interval cardio every other day, warm-up/weights/light cardio on alternate days.

das
Old 11-01-05, 04:51 PM

Weights first, cardio afterwards.

Simply because I sweat more during cardio.

I've got my towel to wipe my own sweat. Don't
you hate when someone has been on a bench and
they leave a huge sweat pool and either
do not have a towel or just do a poor job of wiping.
Old 11-01-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by enrage

I agree that this is ideal (cardio first thing in the AM). My statement above is for those of us that can't excercise twice a day. I don't feel like I am putting my body through a catabolic state (but I could be wrong), although after lifting, I do a max of 20-30 minutes cardio, at around 65% max HR.

btw, this is past tense. I stopped a couple months ago, but will start again tomorrow
Old 11-01-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
What ae you trying to do? Bulk, cut?

If your bulking try to do cardio only on your non-lifting days...the energy drain does not help grow muscle (and eat enough to make up for the additional calories burned)

If your cutting, that I used to do cardio AFTER weights (except on leg days) simply because I would rather hit the wall on a treadmill than under a bar on the bench.

I've gotta be doing something wrong (or my body is backward) since I bulk up with cardio and slim down with weights. I think I eat too little when I lift so I just burn off more calories that way and eat more when I am doing cardio (for energy).
If you eat too little, your gonna burn fat (or muscle), no matter what you do in the gym
Old 11-01-05, 07:41 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

2 miles, lift, 2 miles
Old 11-01-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if your bulking, skip cardio and do an extra set of squats. then go home and eat and watch football.