Reload this Page >

Bratz: Let your kids play with them?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-31-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you have a problem with your kids owning these dolls?

My wife and I were walking around Toys R Us yesterday and I started laughing at these Bratz dolls because they are so cheesy looking. They also had guy dolls set up with rock instruments and clothing. My wife said she'd never allow our (future) kids to have dolls like that. I said, "No big deal if they are over 10." I just noticed on Amazon the package says for kids 4 to 7.

Anyway, this REALLY surprised me that my wife had such disdain for these silly things. Would you have a problem with your kids playing with these? If yes, are you religious? (it's about the only explanation I can think of).
Old 10-31-05, 02:12 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I havent thought of it--not having kids now or anytime in the near future.

A friend of mine noted to me how he would NEVER get his kid this cool 'craftsman' play set, with nifty saws and tools galore. I was surprised and asked why, he said 'I dont want my kid doing what I do for a living--hes going to college to get a good job' lol
Old 10-31-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I havent thought of it--not having kids now or anytime in the near future.

A friend of mine noted to me how he would NEVER get his kid this cool 'craftsman' play set, with nifty saws and tools galore. I was surprised and asked why, he said 'I dont want my kid doing what I do for a living--hes going to college to get a good job' lol

"I don't want him to lean anything practical. He should have to pay to have those things done."
Old 10-31-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The doll on the bottom left is clearly a lesbian
Old 10-31-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually my wife and I don't let our daughter play with bratz. She's 6 and avoids them because she knows the answer will be no.
Old 10-31-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If it were used in conjunction with a pellet gun, yes... only after i've had the first shot, of course.
Old 10-31-05, 03:31 PM

actually saw a kid dressed like one, it was disgusting.
Old 10-31-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I said, "No big deal if they are over 10." I just noticed on Amazon the package says for kids 4 to 7.

Anyway, this REALLY surprised me that my wife had such disdain for these silly things. Would you have a problem with your kids playing with these? If yes, are you religious? (it's about the only explanation I can think of).
My four year old has a bunch of these and they're pretty harmless. She prefers her Breyer horses and My Little Pony.

I agree that toys are extremely plasticy and crappy these days. They are also extremely annoying in the packaging: most things seemingly require a cutting torch to free then from their sarcophagi.
Old 10-31-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Barney1234
actually saw a kid dressed like one, it was disgusting.
Was it for Halloween?

I'm just curious... why are these so popular? They're more popular than Barbie right now, right?

Do most people object to the clothes, the makeup, the lack of noses, what? I wouldn't want my kid to dress like them, but then, I wouldn't want my kid to dress like Barbie or He-man or GI Joe either.
Old 10-31-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, they're Cabbage Patch Whores!
Old 10-31-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NORML54601
The doll on the bottom left is clearly a lesbian
When I play with them they're ALL lesbians.
Old 10-31-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay! raising a whole new generation of prosti-tots!

Gotta learn them early for teh pr0n!
Old 10-31-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to forget what they were called and call them "Slutz". My daughter will not be getting any aslong as i can help it.
Old 10-31-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Would you have a problem with your kids playing with these? If yes, are you religious? (it's about the only explanation I can think of).
Yes, I would have a problem with my kids playing with them... and, no, it's not a "religious" thing. I just don't think that sexualized/slutty toys are appropriate. Kids get enough of that in our society today as it is... I don't think we need to be encouraging it on 4-7 year olds.
Old 11-01-05, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt I would let my future daughter play with these. Tack on everything that bboisvert said to my post as well.
Old 11-01-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fischer-Price My First Lil' Prostitute
Old 11-01-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hell no, if I had kids they'd see enough of that crap at school
Old 11-01-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait to get my son one of those. When he's old enough, he can do it for real since I don't.

Were Bratz designed by pedophiles?
Old 11-01-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To me, the type toys my kids play with aren't important...I've got bigger fish to fry.

I worry more about the values I try to teach them and the lessons I want them to learn than about specfic little things like what toys they want to play with. I think if they have good moral grounding, I'll be more able to trust them to make their own choices in the long run. This view of mine, of course, might change when they get a little older.

It is interesting to me that most people here who are so set against these toys don't seem to have kids...
Old 11-01-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I have purchased these for my kiddo, and not had a problem with it. She's probably had them since she was what, 6? 7? 8? I've never really seen anything sexual about them (vs. long legged buxom Barbie in a miniskirt).

And this is from someone who has thought that the placement of the sunny-side-up eggs and sausage on the Denny's menu was suggestive. (don't get me started on the "sampler platter" with the cheese sticks and onion rings )

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 11-01-05 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No. Not really the image I want for my (future) 4 year old. My biggest concern is that I've heard (from my wife) that the cartoon they have has these Bratz acting like... well brats, which isn't something I'd want my kids to mimic.
Old 11-01-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
My biggest concern is that I've heard (from my wife) that the cartoon they have has these Bratz acting like... well brats, which isn't something I'd want my kids to mimic.
Stay away from Rugrats as well.
Old 11-01-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My 6 year old sister has a bunch of these and the movie Bratz: Rock Angelz. I don't really mind too much. She's really too intelligent to be turned into a slut by a doll.