Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Consumer Reports: Most reliable cars '06

Old 10-29-05, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports: Most reliable cars '06

once again, American auto makers fell way short

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/10/26/...ble/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Consumers can't just put their faith in a trusted brand name when it comes to looking for a new car.

Nissan and Hyundai had models in both the highest and lowest rankings of Consumer Reports predicted-reliability survey this year, according to the magazine.

Nissan's luxury brand, Infiniti, had two of the most reliable models -- the Infiniti M35 and M45. But four Nissan cars -- the Nissan Quest, Armada and Titan and and Infiniti QX56 -- landed on the list of worst for predicted reliability. (Click on car names for vehicle details and images.)

For Hyundai, Consumer Reports predicted, the Hyundai Tucson SUV will likely have poor reliability, while theSanta Fe SUV and and the Elantra should have average reliability. Reliability for the newly redesigned Sonata remains unknown.

"The message to consumers is clear: You can't gauge reliability based only on a nameplate. Some automakers do have a better track record but individual models -- especially newer ones -- can have some problems," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center, in a statement. "New-car buyers should always check our reliability rating for the model they're buying."

Of the 31 cars that earned the top rating, only two were from U.S.-based manufacturers -- the remaining 29 vehicles were from Japanese automakers, and none represented European brands. Almost half of the top 31 -- 15 vehicles -- were manufactured by Toyota.

Of the vehicles with the worst reliability, 22 were from U.S.-based manufacturers, 20 from European brands, four from Japanese makers and two from South Korean companies.

Hybrid models turned in above-average results, despite their complex mechanical drivetrains. Hybrids use both gasoline engines and electric motors that run on batteries charged by the gasoline engine.

Consumer Reports surveyed the owners of more than a million vehicles. Owners were surveyed through the magazine's Web site and through surveys mailed to subscribers. To calculate predicted reliability for 2006 model-year vehicles, the magazine averaged overall reliability scores for the last three model years, provided that the vehicle remained substantially unchanged over that time. For vehicles that were new or substantially redesigned during that time, data from the just one or two years was used.

Best predicted reliability:

(As calculated by Consumer Reports)

Small cars:
Toyota Echo
Honda Civic (2005)
Toyota Prius
Honda Civic Hybrid (2005)
Toyota Corolla
Subaru Impreza (non-turbo)

Sporty cars/Convertibles Coupes
Honda S2000
Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005)
Lexus SC430
Chevrolet Monte Carlo (2005)

Sedans
Lexus GS300/GS430*
Infiniti M35/M45*
Lexus IS300 (2005)
Honda Accord Hybrid*
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord 4-cyl.
Lexus LS430

Wagons
Toyota Matrix
Minivans

(None rated "Best")

Small SUVs
Toyota Rav4 (2005)
Honda CR-V
Honda Element
Subaru Forester
Mercury Mariner*
Mitsubishi Outlander

Mid-sized SUVs
Lexus RX400h (hybrid)*
Toyota Highlander
Toyota 4Runner (V-8)
Infiniti FX35

Large SUVs
Toyota Land Cruiser

Pick-up trucks
Honda Ridgeline*
Toyota Tundra
Old 10-29-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am surprised Scion didn't make the list, especially since the XA is basically the Echo repackaged, and the Echo is on there.
Old 10-29-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Well there's a shock.
Old 10-29-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang, take Honda and Toyota of the list and there is no list.
Old 10-29-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

remember the credo of the UAW, efficiency and good quality means lost jobs
Old 10-29-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
remember the credo of the UAW, efficiency and good quality means lost jobs
Well I recently read where Toyota sells more cars then Ford and is poised to take over the #1 spot from GM in the coming years. The UAW may want to re-think their ideas.
Old 10-30-05, 12:12 AM
Banned

Looks like it.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/26/news...n=money_latest

Toyota to put GM in rearview mirror

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. will raise vehicle output by 11 percent next year, unseating General Motors Corp. as the world's biggest manufacturer of automobiles, a Japanese newspaper reported Wednesday.

Toyota, whose profits and market value already dwarf those of its rivals, plans to raise group output to more than 9.2 million vehicles worldwide in 2006, or nearly 1 million more than its projection for 2005, business daily Nihon Keizai said.

Excluding minivehicle and truck units Daihatsu Motor Co. and Hino Motors Ltd., Toyota's own-brand production will rise 12 percent to 8.3 million units next year, the newspaper said without citing sources.

A Toyota official said the company had not yet finalized its production plans for next year.

But one analyst said it was feasible given the pace of Toyota's expansion plans.

"Given additional production and domestic and overseas plants that are scheduled to go on stream in FY2006/07 (ending March 2007), global production of about 8.3 million units can be reached," Merrill Lynch auto analyst Tatsuo Yoshida said in a note to clients.

Helped by a reputation for building reliable and fuel-efficient vehicles, Toyota is picking up market share from loss-riddled GM (Research) in the U.S. company's home market.

The Detroit giant's market share for October looks set to fall to a 25-year low of about 20.5 percent, according to New York-based Deutsche Bank analyst Rod Lache.

Toyota had 13.4 percent of the U.S. market in September, more than Chrysler's 13.2 percent and up from 11.3 percent a year earlier, while GM's share fell to 25.9 percent from 31.7 percent.

Like Toyota, GM has not announced production plans for 2006.

But Japan's top auto manufacturer has said the group aims to sell 8.5 million vehicles in calendar 2006, which would likely keep it as the world's second-biggest seller of automobiles behind the GM group.

Sales and production figures can differ widely depending on how much inventory an auto manufacturer and its dealers hold.

In the first nine months of this year, the Toyota group built 6,124,434 vehicles worldwide.

GM produced an estimated 6,718,000 units during that period, and sold 7,066,774 vehicles, up 3.7 percent from the same period last year.

For all of 2005, GM has forecast global production of 9,115,000 vehicles.

The Detroit-based auto manufacturer has been cutting back production at home to whittle down its bloated inventory, but it is expanding rapidly in China, where it is set to overtake Volkswagen AG as the No. 1 brand this year.

Race in China
Toyota, whose market capitalization of $160 billion is almost 10 times that of GM's, is racing to catch up with GM and others in China, while also planning increased capacity in North America as well as in Russia and other fast-growing emerging markets.

On top of a fifth plant due to start production in China next year, Toyota said Wednesday it was preparing to set up a sixth car factory in the northeastern city of Tianjin with local partner FAW to build about 200,000 compact cars a year starting in mid-2007, pending government approval.

Toyota, which was late to enter the hot Chinese car market, is targeting a 10 percent share by 2010 with a full line of products, including its imported premium Lexus vehicles and the Prius hybrid to be built locally by the FAW-Toyota venture.

Globally, Toyota has set a goal of boosting market share to 15 percent and annual revenues to 20 trillion ($173.7 billion) in the medium term.

Toyota is due to announce production and sales plans for 2006 in December.

Subsidiaries Daihatsu and Hino have not solidified plans for 2006, but they will likely raise combined production next year from the 890,000 units projected for this calendar year, supported by brisk domestic demand, the Nihon Keizai reported.

In July, Toyota revised up its own-brand global output forecast to 7.39 million vehicles for this year, up 10 percent from 2004, while increasing its group-wide output plan to 8.28 million units, up 9.7 percent.

The revision came after the maker of the Prius hybrid car announced strong growth in global output for the first six months of the year, driven by healthy domestic and U.S. sales.

With rival Nissan Motor Co.'s chief executive Carlos Ghosn turning bearish on the U.S. market recently, one fund manager said Toyota could emerge as the sole winner after a solid streak at all of Japan's top auto manufacturers.

"Japanese auto makers have had to grab market share from GM or Ford, but that's coming to a limit and now they have to steal share from each other," said Akio Yoshino, a fund manager at Societe Generale Asset Management. "So far, Toyota is winning."

Shares in Toyota ended up 1.96 percent at 5,210 and Daihatsu rose 0.71 percent to 1,137. Hino was up 0.85 percent at 713.
Old 10-30-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
predicted-reliability survey. Ok, what's that. I predict my car will do great in the next 3 years because I'm cool and bought a Honda with customized wheels?

And I don't predict my GM car will do that well in the next 3 years because I just had a flat, it was raining out, and AAA took 2 hours to find me?

Anyone have a link to the survey.
Old 10-30-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There were a few early news articles saying that the foreign-brand cars assembled in the US had average or lower quality. Then suddenly everyone shut up about that. Error or political correctness? (Are most of the lower ranked Japanese cars American assembled? I'm not up to researching each model.)

If true, its not just the UAW, Americans can't put cars together.
Old 10-30-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldDude
There were a few early news articles saying that the foreign-brand cars assembled in the US had average or lower quality. Then suddenly everyone shut up about that. Error or political correctness? (Are most of the lower ranked Japanese cars American assembled? I'm not up to researching each model.)

Well I know most of the Honda Accorda are built in Ohio. So there you go.
I'm sure early production here in the US was lower, but don't think it had anything to do with being "in the US". New plants I'm sure take a little time to get the "kinks" out and up to full production/quality.
Old 10-30-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
predicted-reliability survey. Ok, what's that. I predict my car will do great in the next 3 years because I'm cool and bought a Honda with customized wheels?

And I don't predict my GM car will do that well in the next 3 years because I just had a flat, it was raining out, and AAA took 2 hours to find me?

Anyone have a link to the survey.
No, Consumer Reports doesn't have any of their data online. They've been biased against american automobiles as long as I've been buying cars. I put as much faith in their ratings as I do a random stranger at the end of the bar.
Old 10-30-05, 09:32 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

The Scion tC has the Camry engine so I suppose I can rank mine along with it
Old 10-30-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jason
No, Consumer Reports doesn't have any of their data online. They've been biased against american automobiles as long as I've been buying cars. I put as much faith in their ratings as I do a random stranger at the end of the bar.
I expected as much due to the wording of the article.
Old 10-31-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had my Prius for about a year and not a problem.
Old 10-31-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"biased against american automobiles"

Why? What is their motivation to be against the American companies?

Is CR owned by the Japanese? or maybe a disgrunted UAW ex-member?

I would be willing to bet the house that if you took 10,000 Chevy Cobalts and 10,000 Toyota Corollas and ran them both 100,000 miles in the hands of the same drivers, same maintenance etc, etc that the Chevys would have more repairs/failures than the Toyotas.

I don't think there is any grand conspircay here, but maybe I have missed something in Consumers Reports motivations (or financial backings)??
Old 10-31-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldDude

Of the cars that are built here, they all seem to be high on reliability. I know the Accord is, as is the Oddysee (some in Canada), an I know the Tundra is.

Last I knew, Japan had opened a number of plants here because overall efficiency was better than in Japan. That surprised me.
Old 10-31-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you have access to a good news database you can find plenty of articles about how anything made by the UAW is poorer quality than Toyota or Honda.