Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Travelling from Baltimore to Kings Dominion tomorrow...best route???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-28-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the wonderful advice you guys gave me for getting to Ocean City, I thought I'd try again with tomorrow's trip.

We are heading to Kings Dominion tomorrow. I haven't travelled to or through Washington D.C. in years so I'm not sure what lies ahead (road work, detours, etc.).

In the past, we have taken 95 down to 495 and then back onto 95, though there is usually a bit of slowing around DC and then it picks up. The trip back, however, is never quite as clean or simple. It seems we always hit a 45-60 minute back-up near 495, irregardless of day or time. So we usually look at 2 1/2 hours down and 3+ on the way back.

Is this still the best route to take, or is there a better alternate? I read some old posts online mentioning 301 but I don't know if the advice is still valid. Also, I'm not sure if travelling on a Saturday day and night makes any difference.

We're just looking for the least congested, quickest route possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-29-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't think there would be any problems taking 95 on a Saturday. I've driven home from North Carolina a bunch of times on Saturday nights with no problems on 95 at all.
Old 10-29-05, 05:54 AM

Just in case you check this in the am ...

95 is often OK on weekends but when something happens, then you're really stuck and you'll be kicking yourself for not taking the alt. route. And with all the construction (Wilson Bridge and Mixing Bowl) it's very risky that some backup will happen. 301 is almost always safe - it might be slightly longer than 95 b/c you can't go 75+ but there is almost never a backup anywhere. You'll run into some slow traffic in Waldorf due to shopping traffic and lights but it's only a few miles.

From Balt: 97S to 301S/50W to 301S across Harry Nice Bridge to 3W to Fredericksburg and then you're almost to Kings Dominion. Have fun!

-- Jim (in Calvert County MD)
Old 10-29-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yay! Our trip advice worked last time!

Next time post more than two hours previous to your trip.
Old 10-29-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I took Stats advice to get to KD. Total trip took almost 3 hrs. 15 mins. Was a little bit longer than I hoped but it did get us there (well, 30 mins. north of KD).

For the trip home, we decided to try 95 N the whole way. Total trip took 2 hrs. 15 mins. But mind you...that was without a single delay on 95 (which is rare).

Still, there didn't seem to be much gain taking 301S. But that was on a Saturday, as compared to a weekday. On a weekday, I could see the benefit of taking 301 instead.

Ultimately, I'm thankful to know another route in case needed. Just wish the wife and kids were as thankful as I am.
Old 10-29-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yay! Our trip advice worked last time!

Next time post more than two hours previous to your trip.
Sorry about that. Unfortunately, a lot of these things only fall into place at the last minute.

BTW, one thing from the last trip. Since we were heading to Assateague, the diversion of onto 54 actually lost us some time. Once on 113, it can be followed all the way to 50. Once at 50, take a left and your just a stone's throw from Assateague. Just in case your interested.