Reload this Page >

Wilma took my DirecTV away...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-28-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn this hurricane, it's disturbed my satellite reception! As far as my eye can see, the dish is still firmly in place, it just managed to get jostled enough to not get a signal!

My question is how can I fix this? I called DirecTV, and my appointment to have it fixed is December 6! That's quite a ways away, and rather unacceptable, although at least I'm not being charged...

Is there a way to adjust it without having to climb a ladder 20 feet up to actually physically mess with dish?

Any help is greatly appreciated (and I certainly know how helpful you fine folks can be around here)!

Thanks!
Old 10-28-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assumming you already went through all the check signal stuff on your screen?
Old 10-28-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by harpo787
Is there a way to adjust it without having to climb a ladder 20 feet up to actually physically mess with dish?

Wilma had to physically mess with the dish to wreck your reception, and you have to physically mess with the dish to fix it. It has to be aimed "exactly" at the satellite(s).
Old 10-28-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I tell ya Barn..that no good wife of mine turned the damn cable off.
Old 10-28-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So there's no way to "program" it with a zipcode or some such to let it fine tune itself?
Old 10-28-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you could replicate the wind of Wilma, only in the OPPOSITE direction, you might be set. Let us know!
Old 10-28-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try to remember how exactly it was pointed then try adjusting it that way?

At least you have internet access.
Old 10-28-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ranger: To look at it from ground level, it's pointing the same way. It's still firmly attached to the roof up there and everything. There is no doubt, at least I have 'net access, a good thing (along with the A/C as the temp begins to rise again).

Y2K Falcon: I'd have to get some serious gas up in my system to begin to replicate such winds!

devilshalo: Is that an actual animation cell? I'm just seeing some stuff on there that says its no cartoon clip or whatever....

old dude: my friend says it's got to have 80% strength to receive. Looking through a neighbor's book about these things, it says in there that its got to be pointed "in a general direction" (south west I think?).

Kittydreamer: yes, actually when I turned the thing on when the power came back, it was trying to receive signal...downloading as it were...and it stayed firmly at 0%. I tried to reset system info through the various menus (as opposed to just unplugging it), and it did all the things it was supposed to, and then got to the downloading portion...and nothing!

What a pain in the arse though...more than a month to come check it out? I'd dare guess that more than 50% of this little community has these dishes...are they going to come in, check out a dish, leave, come back a day or two later, check another so on and so forth? You'd think that perhaps it might be best to get it done in one visit...send a fleet or some such....I dunno.

I wish my 'net connection were faster, so I could at least download the shows I'd be missing. By the time this is set up...we'll already have our Ultimate Fighters selected! SNIFF!
Old 10-28-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So there's no way to "program" it with a zipcode or some such to let it fine tune itself?
No, a zipcode will only tell you where to aim it. You can get antenna strength meters possibly at Radio Shack and aim it yourself.
Old 10-28-05, 05:19 PM

December 6th? Fucking slow-moving FEMA.
Old 10-28-05, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
No, a zipcode will only tell you where to aim it. You can get antenna strength meters possibly at Radio Shack and aim it yourself.
You don't need the strength meters. Just go to the aiming screen and it'll beep at you to indicate signal strength. If the dish is far enough away from the nearest receiver, you may need a second person to watch the screen for you.
Old 10-28-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
You don't need the strength meters. Just go to the aiming screen and it'll beep at you to indicate signal strength. If the dish is far enough away from the nearest receiver, you may need a second person to watch the screen for you.
Listen to Groucho. It's a simple thing you can probably do in 5 minutes. An appointment to re-point your satellite? Bah! Just get a ladder and go do it. By the time you reply you don't want to, it would be done.
Old 10-28-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does a neighbor have a working dish? If they're nearby ask if you can run a line from their mulitswitch to your box. Go buy some cable.
Or maybe take your receiver over and hook it up to make sure it works OK.
Old 10-28-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

George Bush doesn't care about satellite subscribers.
Old 10-28-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I DEMAND FEMA support and funds for my satellite receiver! It's been DAYS without satellite tv! This is inhumane!

General Zod: I don't want to. And look at that, it's STILL not fixed! Actually, I'd love to go mess with it myself...unfortunately I'm without a ladder. Standing on the wrong side of my second floor balcony with arms stretched overhead would still leave me a few feet shy of reaching it. Maybe I can go to Home Depot or whatever to rent a ladder....

Brian Shannon: Yeah, I did the zipcode routine and it got me my elevation and "azimuth". Fancy shmancy talk I say! Poppycock!

I just know that groucho's statement is the closest to getting it done asap with minimal cost etc. Where's my grappling hook damnit!?

EDIT: Falcoln: you're right...I knew that damn Bush had a problem with me, but wasn't sure what it is...but now I know!
Old 10-28-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just climb up there and fix it, man
Old 10-28-05, 06:40 PM

Could it be that your LNB is bad? If you dish is pointing in the same direction and you don't see it damaged in any way, it might just be your LNB that is toast.

If so, I can ship one out to you - have an extra one in the garage from my upgrade to the 3 LNB dish.
Old 10-28-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Before you try aiming the dish, have you checked your cables for water?
Old 10-28-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

juanmgonzalez: What's my LNB? (Why do I feel like I'm being set up for a bad joke with this question?)

Brian Shannon: umm....I can look at them and see if there's water...but I can only look so high up....is there a more specific style of test I could do (apart from tearing them open and whatnot)?

El Scorcho: huh? Why does that seem familiar.............
Old 10-28-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho

Just climb up there and fix it, man
woah, a Bo Diaz reference.

harpo: Bo Diaz was crushed to death when the satellite dish he was attempting to adjust fell on him.
Old 10-28-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've gotta get up on my roof myself and re-set my dish. But my dad stole my ladder, so I might not be able to do it til next weekend.

The good news is that I have another dish on the other side of the house that still works, so I'll be able to use that as a guide to readjust it. Pain in the ass though.
Old 10-28-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no input that would help the situation, but Scorch breaking out Bo Diaz is just too damn impressive not to comment on.
Old 10-29-05, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as my eye can see, the dish is still firmly in place, it just managed to get jostled enough to not get a signal!

Thanks!
Get up there and look at it. Are all the parts there and connected? Reaim it if need be. Just being 'in place' doesn't mean there might not be an equipment issue. You have to look at it.

If you don't have a ladder, maybe a neighbor does?

As for automatic adjustment, they make a more expensive version of the dish for things like boats with gyros that do reset the dish, so for people who say such a thing doesn't exist, not true. Saw one when I went out on a fishing boat a while back. For the long run out to the grounds, it was nice to have sat tv.
Old 10-29-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, nobody around here has a 20 foot ladder. I'm pretty sure the guys who are going around putting tarp up on the roofs (rooves?...laff) would be uptight about someone using their equipment, so I've gone and rented a 24 footer from Home Depot for 24 hours (gives me time to mess around, not have to rush to get it back). Just waiting for a neighbor to come back to help me out with it. I think I climbed about 4 rungs up on my own and thought "fuck that, I'll wait for the neighbor to come back."

However, in climbing the four rungs closer, I eyed the cable/wiring, and all appears to be in place.
Old 10-29-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I climbed the ladder finally (the neighbor came back), got up to it and couldn't tell exactly what I was looking at (was still about 2 feet short of reaching it with arm reached out).

Neighbor said "I just wanted to know that you'd be willing to climb the ladder," and proceeded to scale it like a monkey up the tree. In summary: we got it back on! Sweet!

Thanks again to all who suggested things to do (yes, even Falcon who suggested I just replicate Wilma's winds in the opposite direction)! Oh yeah, and an extra special thanks to El Scorcho's hope that I get planted in the ground by a falling satellite!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.