Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Now here's the proper way to teach your kids a lesson! :(

Old 10-28-05, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now here's the proper way to teach your kids a lesson! :(

http://www.glendalenewspress.com/fro...0p-40977c.html

Published October 28, 2005

Boy found safe after spat in lot

Child, 10, went missing after mother left him in parking lot to teach him a lesson, police say.

By Ryan Carter, News-Press and Leader

GLENDALE -- A 10-year-old boy was reunited with his mother Thursday, more than four hours after the boy went missing, when his mother tried to teach him a lesson by leaving him alone in an Orange Street parking lot, police said.

Rodriguo Rodriguez, of Hollywood, was found at a home in the 500 block of East Chevy Chase Drive of the woman who found him, apparently, at a bus stop, Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.

The boy went missing from the parking lot behind Porto's Bakery at 315 N. Brand Blvd. at around 3:40 p.m., Lorenz said. Rodriguo's mother, Beatrice Rodriguez, 30, hailed down a police officer in the area at 3:56 p.m., Lorenz said.

After visiting Porto's, the boy and his mother had a disagreement and he began misbehaving in the lot.

To teach him a lesson, his mother left him in the lot while she drove away in a car, Lorenz said.

"Mom walks to the car, gets in and drives around, leaving him standing there," Lorenz said.

"She comes around the corner, and the kid is gone," he said.

Beatrice Rodriguez drove north on Orange Street, made a right on Lexington Drive, a right on Brand Boulevard, and another right on California Avenue before returning to the lot, Lorenz said.

By 6:30 p.m., eight police units were going building to building in the nearby area looking for the boy.

Burbank and Glendale air units flew over the area, Glendale Galleria units had been notified and canine search units were trying to track a scent.

A woman apparently found the boy at a local bus stop after the boy approached her asking, "Can you help me?" Lorenz said, adding that she then immediately took him to her home and called police.

The boy was uninjured, but he was described as being upset, Lorenz said.

"For any 10-year-old out late at night in an unfamiliar neighborhood, that's got to be shocking to a child. The good thing is that a citizen took it upon [herself] to take care of the child and report this immediately."

Police brought the boy back to the Porto's lot, where he was reunited with his mother.

Beatrice Rodriguez may face child endangerment charges, depending on the findings of a Glendale Police investigation into the incident.

"Raising children can be difficult at times, however to place a child at risk to teach a lesson is going to the extreme," Lorenz said.

"Unfortunately, parents may have done this in the past but have not suffered the consequences; this is the result," he added.

The closest my parents came to doing this to me, was when I was 9 or 10 and I got really angry at them and told them I was running away. They helped me packed (didn't this happen on the Andy Griffith Show with Opie?) and wished me good luck. Somehow I got over my madness and had a good nights sleep in my bed.

But this new parenting really sucks!

Chris
Old 10-28-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sigh... I guess the kid ended up teaching the mom a lesson!
Old 10-28-05, 01:54 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can see both sides of the story. I guess a good should of been issued to the kid here instead
Old 10-28-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
But this new parenting really sucks!
Not so new.

I was left at a mall hiding behind behind racks of clothing my mom was browsing. She got tired of looking for me.

It may just be a sit-com memory, but I believe I was found in a tent set up in the store. Though I don't really trust my 30 year old memory on the subject at this point.

But look at me. I turned out fine.

Didn't I?
Old 10-28-05, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon

Didn't I?
[In a soothing voice] Of course you did! [/Soothing voice]

Chris
Old 10-28-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the most disturbing thing I have ever heard -- I can't believe Chevy Chase has a street named after him!
Old 10-28-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
This is the most disturbing thing I have ever heard -- I can't believe Chevy Chase has a street named after him!

^^

Funny stuff

But 10x funnier if said in a Peter Griffin voice
Old 10-28-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a similar incident when I was a kid. One was when I was just being a real pain when my mom was picking me and my sister up from preschool, the parking lot was across a fairly busy street from the school and I was throwing some kind of tantrum about not wanting to go home and my mom just started to walk across the street with my sister leaving me on the sidewalk. Years later she's still mortified that she did this.
Old 10-28-05, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Actually it was named that in the early 1900's after some famous person. I think he (the actor) took the name from this street or something like that.

This is also the street where we had the terrible train crash this last January where 11 people died, but that was a couple of miles away from this parent/kid incident.

Chris
Old 10-28-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rodriguo Rodriguez
Old 10-28-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She probably shouldn't have done this, but if she gets charged with a crime it'd be ridiculous.

Also, since when is four o'clock in the afternoon "late at night".
Old 10-28-05, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
She probably shouldn't have done this, but if she gets charged with a crime it'd be ridiculous.

Also, since when is four o'clock in the afternoon "late at night".
Hey, the sun sets here in Glendale at 3 pm in the afternoon. It has to do with us being close to the equator of something.

Chris
Old 10-28-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

stupid bitch, you're supposed to kill the kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joking
Old 10-28-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon

Didn't I?
I have my doubts
Old 10-28-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can understand what the mom was trying to do, but in this society it's very dangerous.

I think Canadians will remember how a similar type of punishment backfired on the parents of Leslie Mahaffy.
Old 10-28-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was the victim of that punishment once.

however it was not near any heavily populated area. it was in the back roads of glendale.

i was scared shitless.

when i look back at this... i laugh since that area was only a mile from my house.
Old 10-28-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amateurs.

This family needs their own J. Walter Weatherman. This is the true proper way to teach your children a lesson: