Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Immunizing Children - Should it Still be Done?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Immunizing Children - Should it Still be Done?

Old 10-28-05, 11:11 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Immunizing Children - Should it Still be Done?

My wife and I are expecting are first child in January.. We are just starting to look into which immunizations we should allow our child to get. A friend of mine in the natural medicine field said he would not be letting his child get any (I think he said any but he may have just said 'some') immunizations. He said a lot of them lead to autism and other things..

I'm not going to use this thread as the main factor for what we are going to do (obviously) but I do want to see peoples opinions.

Thanks
Old 10-28-05, 11:13 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340
He said a lot of them lead to autism and other things.
Like lack of disease?
Old 10-28-05, 11:16 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course it should be done.

The whole "autism caused by immunization" thing was based on a lawsuit in the UK which was thrown out of court. There's no connection at all.

Your "friend" is giving you horribly dangerous advice.
Old 10-28-05, 11:17 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is zero credible evidence linking immunization to autism.
Old 10-28-05, 11:27 AM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,893
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdodd
There is zero credible evidence linking immunization to autism.
Any the only evidence there was (minimal) was linked to the preservative which is now no longer used in the shots.
Old 10-28-05, 11:27 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Of course it should be done.

The whole "autism caused by immunization" thing was based on a lawsuit in the UK which was thrown out of court. There's no connection at all.

Your "friend" is giving you horribly dangerous advice.
Well. I will tend to believe that my "friend" may be slightly more educated in this then you. He didn't just say "don't do it. it will kill your baby." He is VERY knowledgeable in this area and I tend to believe what he has to say.

This is not saying that I won't get vaccines for the baby.. Just that I'm entertaining the thought of not.

And this is a pretty popular debate. Just look at the amount of books are written about it when I search for "Vaccine Children" at bn.com:

Link
Old 10-28-05, 11:28 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bet he is knowledgable in info he gets from wacko websites
Old 10-28-05, 11:29 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will you not be feeding your child beef because of mad cow disease?
Will your child not go to the park because of bird flu?
Will your child not ever ride in a car or breathe, or drink water (flouridated or otherwise), not to mention non-organic meat/milk?

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 10-28-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-28-05, 11:29 AM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,893
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, my wife works with Autistic kids for a living and spends a great deal of time reading up on this subject. We just had our first child 5 weeks ago and he WILL be getting all his immunizations.

Also, many puplic schools are now requiring them anyway. So if you don't have the money for private school, you might not have a choice.
Old 10-28-05, 11:29 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And what will you do when your kid gets Polio? Get the "natural" Polio cure?
Old 10-28-05, 11:31 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nazgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Jayhawk Central, Kansas
Posts: 7,125
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've just been through the 2nd and 4th month immunizations with our girl and we've had no issues at all. I was a bit worried as well about the supposed link to autism, but there was no real evidence to support my concerns. Green Jello is correct about the mercury as well.

To be honest what really swayed me was that our Family Doc, has two kids of her own and she had them immunized w/o concern.

Also, parents may get away with skipping some immunizations for their kids, but once they start to interact with others (i.e Daycare or Preschool), you run the high risk of some real medical problems.
Old 10-28-05, 11:32 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Jello
For what it's worth, my wife works with Autistic kids for a living and spends a great deal of time reading up on this subject.
Well, to be fair, the OP said that his "friend" was more knowledgeable than YOU, not your wife.

My guess is that the 'friend' either has no kids, or they are "home-schooled".

And vegetarian.
(not that there's anything wrong with that)
( Jadzia )

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 10-28-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-28-05, 11:33 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So are these pretty much the norm for child vaccines?

#DPT: Combined Diphtheria, Pertussis (Whooping cough) and Tetanus

#Rubeola (Measles)

#MMR: Combined Measles, Mumps and Rubella (German, or "three-day" measles)

#Hepatitis B

#Polio

#Pneumococcal pneumonia

#Hemophilus meningitis

#Rotavirus
Old 10-28-05, 11:34 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Jello
Also, many puplic schools are now requiring them anyway. So if you don't have the money for private school, you might not have a choice.
That isn't true. You can sign a waiver that states you didn't immunize due to religious belief.
Old 10-28-05, 11:35 AM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340
And this is a pretty popular debate. Just look at the amount of books are written about it when I search for "Vaccine Children" at bn.com
Just because a point of view is popular, doesn't mean it's correct.

What's really sad is that a lot of diseases that we haven't seen for decades are now coming back because of this quackery. The "natural medicine" people are rolling in the dough selling their "hollistic" herbs and crap, meanwhile it's the children who are suffering.

At least you're taking the time to do the research rather than take your friends word first-hand.
Old 10-28-05, 11:36 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazam
And what will you do when your kid gets Polio? Get the "natural" Polio cure?
When was the last case of polio? A quick search said it was back in 1979.

And look.. People.. Don't get all defensive and call me or my "friend" stupid.. I'm just trying to find out what is best for our child. Obviously 99% of people are going to state to get them and that's fine.. But please state why. Not just that because it's the "norm".

Think about who the biggest money maker in the US is? Health care?
Old 10-28-05, 11:37 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340
Think about who the biggest money maker in the US is? Health care?
Gas companies.
Old 10-28-05, 11:37 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. Then ONE of the biggest.
Old 10-28-05, 11:40 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
What's really sad is that a lot of diseases that we haven't seen for decades are now coming back because of this quackery. The "natural medicine" people are rolling in the dough selling their "hollistic" herbs and crap, meanwhile it's the children who are suffering.
And the drug companies aren't rolling in their money prescribing and making a drug for every single thing you can think of? Oh yea.. But there is also 4,000 side effect.. But hey you'll get hard! (In rare cases your erection may last more then 4 hours...)

Originally Posted by Groucho
At least you're taking the time to do the research rather than take your friends word first-hand.
Definately.. I'm not just taking anyone's word..
Old 10-28-05, 11:41 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340
When was the last case of polio? A quick search said it was back in 1979.

And look.. People.. Don't get all defensive and call me or my "friend" stupid.. I'm just trying to find out what is best for our child. Obviously 99% of people are going to state to get them and that's fine.. But please state why. Not just that because it's the "norm".

Think about who the biggest money maker in the US is? Health care?
Try this year, up in Minnesota (or one of the states around there), several cases.

And your "friend" IS stupid. Sorry. There's no other word for it. If he's not going to immunize his children because of some totally discredited links to autism, he's stupid. If you listen to him and refuse to get your children immunized, YOU'RE stupid. That's the way it is.

There is NO credible link to autism. With vaccines, you always have the possibility, and some children do have serious reactions to the vaccines. But that is quite rare, and it is not a reason to refuse to vaccinate.
Old 10-28-05, 11:42 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nazgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Jayhawk Central, Kansas
Posts: 7,125
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
What's really sad is that a lot of diseases that we haven't seen for decades are now coming back because of this quackery. The "natural medicine" people are rolling in the dough selling their "hollistic" herbs and crap, meanwhile it's the children who are suffering.
"In 1974, Japan had a successful pertussis (whooping cough) vaccination program, with nearly 80% of Japanese children vaccinated. That year only 393 cases of pertussis were reported in the entire country, and there were no deaths from pertussis. But then rumors began to spread that pertussis vaccination was no longer needed and that the vaccine was not safe, and by 1976 only 10% of infants were getting vaccinated. In 1979 Japan suffered a major pertussis epidemic, with more than 13,000 cases of whooping cough and 41 deaths. In 1981 the government began vaccinating with acellular pertussis vaccine, and the number of pertussis cases dropped again."

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/fs/gen/Why.htm
Old 10-28-05, 11:43 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
bigsoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sachse, TX
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just b/c there are books out doesn't mean that its the necessarily the truth.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/news/iom-thim5-18-04.htm
* neither thimerosal-containing vaccines or MMR vaccine are associated with autism.

* the hypotheses regarding a link between autism and MMR vaccine and thimerosal-containing vaccines lack supporting evidence and are only theoretical.

* future research to find the cause of autism should be directed toward other promising lines of inquiry that are supported by current knowledge and evidence and offer more promise for providing an answer.
Old 10-28-05, 11:49 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Bluegrass State
Posts: 1,271
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All 3 of my children were vaccinated. The current scientific literature does not support a correlation between vaccinations and autism. IMO, the benefits clearly outweigh the small, if any, risk at this point. Perhaps if further research down the road shows a clear correlation then my opinion may change.
Old 10-28-05, 11:50 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Try this year, up in Minnesota (or one of the states around there), several cases.
Do you have a link to this?

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
And your "friend" IS stupid. Sorry. There's no other word for it. If he's not going to immunize his children because of some totally discredited links to autism, he's stupid. If you listen to him and refuse to get your children immunized, YOU'RE stupid. That's the way it is.
Well thanks.. I guess it's 100% I will do it then.. "Honey, someone on DVDTalk said WE'RE stupid if we don't.. And that's just the way it is. No he didn't provide any real factual evidence.. Just we are stupid and so is our "friend" if we don't."

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
There is NO credible link to autism. With vaccines, you always have the possibility, and some children do have serious reactions to the vaccines. But that is quite rare, and it is not a reason to refuse to vaccinate.
I don't think the only thing to worry about was the autism.. It's been a while since I talked to this "nutjob"..
Old 10-28-05, 11:51 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ytown, Ohio
Posts: 5,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nazgul
"In 1974, Japan had a successful pertussis (whooping cough) vaccination program, with nearly 80% of Japanese children vaccinated. That year only 393 cases of pertussis were reported in the entire country, and there were no deaths from pertussis. But then rumors began to spread that pertussis vaccination was no longer needed and that the vaccine was not safe, and by 1976 only 10% of infants were getting vaccinated. In 1979 Japan suffered a major pertussis epidemic, with more than 13,000 cases of whooping cough and 41 deaths. In 1981 the government began vaccinating with acellular pertussis vaccine, and the number of pertussis cases dropped again."

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/fs/gen/Why.htm
Woooh... Thanks for that.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.