Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you care if some famous person is gay?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: tehy gey or straight , who cares?
DO care
8.55%
do NOT care
82.91%
I question whther twikoff has caught teh gey, so that's what I care about
8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't, in fact I don't care what famous people do in their personal lives at all, who they marry, who they screw on the side, who they kill or who they beat up in some bar after their shitty movie tanks at the boxoffice.
Old 10-28-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only if I've had sex with them
Old 10-28-05, 09:54 AM

Don't care.

Although it would have been nice if somebody had given me a "heads up" in the 6 months I was wooing Portia de Rossi.
Old 10-28-05, 09:56 AM
Banned

Do care. Only because it's really good for people in the spotlight to come out and show a "human" face to something most people find disgusting.
Old 10-28-05, 10:00 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Do care. Only because it's really good for people in the spotlight to come out and show a "human" face to something most people find disgusting.
I wasn't sure which choice I wanted to make.

I was debating using Do Care(and stating the same reasoning you used), and Do Not Care(stating that in the grand scheme of things, if an actor/actress is gay, it doesn't effect my view of them. I will judge them on their talent and as a person based on their actions).

In the end, Do Not Care won out. But not by much. While it is good for Actors/Actresses to put a face on teh gay.. Sometimes damage is done when said actor/actress goes to far in the display or uses inappropriate venues to push their agenda. Though, that isn't limited to just gay actors/actresses. We all had the recent example by a musical artist at a hurricane relief effort.
Old 10-28-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After learning what I did the other day, I will never watch a WNBA game again.

I guess I do "care", in that it affects my behavior/reactions. I'm not going to like someone less as an actor or athlete. I'm more affected that way when people put out their views as if we care about their political agenda, like that putz Tim Robbins and his wife.

But, to use Groucho's example, though I wasn't "wooing" her, Portia de Rossi didn't have as much of teh hawt to me after I found out about her orientation. Superficial? Sure. But if folks weren't superficial, then most of these "stars" would be "flipping burgers" (proverbially) about now.
Old 10-28-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Don't care.

Although it would have been nice if somebody had given me a "heads up" in the 6 months I was wooing Portia de Rossi.
Maaaaandy? You'd think if you were going to make up a wanky name, then you'd at least be consistent about it (de Rossi, di Rossi).

Bah. She's lost any Australian-ness she ever had about her (assuming she had any in the first place).

Edit: Oh, and as for the could care/couldn't care question, whether a "star" is gay or not really doesn't bother me one way or the other except when they're doing the "I'm not gay, I'm not gay" routine like it's some disease and you later find out they are.

And even then, the only reason it would worry me would be the hypocrasy that they've made their life.

Last edited by naughty jonny; 10-28-05 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-28-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I only take interest in someone's sexual orientation if I want to have sex with them. I rarely have any sexual interest in celebrties. Okay, maybe Stephen Hawking...
Old 10-28-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't care here.
Old 10-28-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Especially in Hollywood, where it is still a "big dirty secret".
Old 10-28-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only Tom Cruise.
Old 10-28-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Only Tom Cruise.
Was actually thinking of Tom when I wrote the bit about hypocrasy. If it turns out that Tom is gay (which he might not be), then that says a lot about him.
Old 10-28-05, 10:33 AM

I have no idea why everybody always insists that Tom is gay, considering there's zilch evidence to indicate that (and a ton of evidence to indicate the opposite).
Old 10-28-05, 10:35 AM

I care for about 30 seconds when I read some headline, then I let it go.
Old 10-28-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea why everybody always insists that Tom is gay, considering there's zilch evidence to indicate that (and a ton of evidence to indicate the opposite).
He dumped Nicole Kidman.

Case Closed.
Old 10-28-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

According to someone on this forum, it's not only a rumor but a well-known secret.
Old 10-28-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care.

I just don't like how people are type cast into movies once they come out, like Rupert Everett that guy can't get a non-gay role, (except stage beauty but that sucked) to save his life.

I'm at work sorry about the spelling, all fixed

Last edited by Green Smurf; 10-28-05 at 12:25 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-28-05, 11:09 AM

Do not care at all.
Old 10-28-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Green Smurf

I don't care.

I just don't like how people are type cast into movies once they come out, like Rupert Everett that guy can't get a non-gay roll, (except stage beauty but that sucked) to save his life.

He was just a ladies' man on Boston Legal.

Oh wait, nevermind. You said "roll".

As to the question at hand, no, I don't care. It's one of the countless aspects of celebrities' personal lives about which I really don't give a shit.

das
Old 10-28-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

don't care. As long as no one marries Amanda Bynes before I do....we're fine.

-p
Old 10-28-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't care if they are, and don't care if they come out publicly as long as it's done tastefully.
Old 10-28-05, 11:40 AM
Banned

All the things you say are evidence that he's NOT gay, I could call "bullshit" on. Since when does wearing a wedding ring mean you're not gay? I had a wedding ring-ed hand try and grab my cock at the gym yesterday. Doesn't mean shit.

And I would be one of the people who knows for sure he is gay. You'd be surprised how many people are just KNOWN to be gay in the industry. it's like a secret club/cult. Everyone knows about it...and do what they have to do to keep it a secret. The straights know who the gays are. It's just all a part of the show biz game. Same as it always has been.
Old 10-28-05, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't care, much. I usually care long enough to think, "well, that's interesting", and then go on to other things.

Now, if the famous person happened to be Senator Rick Santorum of Reverend Jerry Falwell, then that would be different.
Old 10-28-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't care. And I live in a "Red State".
Old 10-28-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I was just writing the Mr. Sulu thread, it's always great when a celeb is willing to quit lying and avoiding the issue. To that extent, yes I care.

It's frustrating to see famous gays like Anderson Cooper step *back* into the closet once they've started hitting the big-time because they think it'll help their career. And when there are so many less capable and less fortunate people out on the front lines, so to speak, it's particularly insulting to listen to them ramble on about how it's a completely personal decision, as if their were no social or political ramifications to their decision to lie, hide and acquiece to discrimination.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.