Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, anyone know how to disable engine error codes?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-27-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, what's happening is that i'm getting an engine code (DTC) that triggered an EPC light which basically pulled all power from the engine. i took out my vag-com (obd scan tool, equiv to vag 1551) and tried to clear the code with the engine on, but it didn't work. i had to shut the car off and then clear the code.

the code i got was: 17743 - Engine Torque Monitor 2: Control Limit Exceeded

and here's a little more background on it:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196047

so, my question is, is there any way to remove this DTC from the ECM all together?
Old 10-28-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an OBD II reader that can clear the code.

its from Auto-Tap

However if it's a re-occuring problem it isn't best to reset, since the 17743 code would be thrown off again.
Old 10-28-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ctrl+Alt+Delete ?
Old 10-28-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Ctrl+Alt+Delete ?
We didn't have room for three buttons, that's why automotive electronics is not a Windows environment. Well, that and robustness.
Old 10-28-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
i took out my vag-com
For some reason, that sounds dirty to me.

I can't read all the tech speak in your post. This is a problem that STILL EXISTS? Not like when my wife forgot to check the oil for months and the "check engine" light came on, and we "fixed" the problem, then disconnected the battery for like 10 minutes...
Old 10-28-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
When I first saw this thread, I thought it said "equine error codes".
Old 10-28-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mole177
I have an OBD II reader that can clear the code.

its from Auto-Tap

However if it's a re-occuring problem it isn't best to reset, since the 17743 code would be thrown off again.
yes, the vag-com is an obd2 reader, as well as a diagnostic tool. i can clear the code, but i wanna know if there's a way to disable it so that it could never come back.
Old 10-28-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yes, the vag-com is an obd2 reader, as well as a diagnostic tool. i can clear the code, but i wanna know if there's a way to disable it so that it could never come back.
No, you can't disable/remove codes to prevent them from showing up. If this were the case, you'd have every shade-tree auto dealer selling cars with problems that were "disabled/removed".

You can clear but you can't remove the code & prevent it from being thrown (unless you fix the problem).

I didn't read all of your thread over on passatworld.com, but it appears that you need a custom modded chip to allow you to run with the mods that you have. Have you checked with the people you bought your present chip from?

Sonic
Old 10-28-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
No, you can't disable/remove codes to prevent them from showing up. If this were the case, you'd have every shade-tree auto dealer selling cars with problems that were "disabled/removed".

You can clear but you can't remove the code & prevent it from being thrown (unless you fix the problem).

I didn't read all of your thread over on passatworld.com, but it appears that you need a custom modded chip to allow you to run with the mods that you have. Have you checked with the people you bought your present chip from?

Sonic

there has to be a way to remove the code. if someone can program it into the system, someone else can take it out. i do have custom engine programming. the fueling, boost, and timing are fine. i did check with the person who did the tuning, and he said to document every time it happens, and if it happens a frequently, then he'll look into it. i did some searching, and apparently, this has happened to other people who have used the chip manufacturer too.

but i'd rather just disable it (or at least modify it so it doesn't pull the power).
Old 10-28-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

there has to be a way to remove the code. if someone can program it into the system, someone else can take it out. i do have custom engine programming. the fueling, boost, and timing are fine. i did check with the person who did the tuning, and he said to document every time it happens, and if it happens a frequently, then he'll look into it. i did some searching, and apparently, this has happened to other people who have used the chip manufacturer too.

but i'd rather just disable it (or at least modify it so it doesn't pull the power).
Well, someone will need to reprogram the chip in order to do this.

I believe you've provided the solution for your own problem. Check with the person who did the tuning & have them make the programming change. There really is no other way as the programming must be changed in order to remove the code.

Other than that, I'd say either:
A) Contact the original chip manufacturer a & ask them to fix the problem
B) Get another chip from an alternate manufacturer

You stated that others have the same problem from the same chip manufacturer as yours, so you should do one of the above.

Sonic