Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

McDonald's to Post Nutrition Info on Fast Food Packaging

Old 10-27-05, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McDonald's to Post Nutrition Info on Fast Food Packaging

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051026/...s_nutrition_10

By DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer
Wed Oct 26, 7:19 AM ET

CHICAGO - Make it a burger, fries and nutritional information to go. Seeking to counter charges that its food is unhealthy and contributes to obesity, McDonald's Corp. announced Tuesday that it will display nutrition facts on the packaging for most of its menu items next year.

Patrons of the world's largest restaurant company will be able to learn the amount of calories and fat, among other information, in a McDonald's product by looking at the wrapper instead of having to go to its Web site or ask for it at the counter.

The fast-food industry has been under pressure from consumer groups and the government to provide more nutritional information about its food. McDonald's and others had previously made calorie count brochures available, resisting calls to do more.

In announcing the latest push to improve its image on health issues, McDonald's said it demonstrates its commitment to promoting balanced, active lifestyles. CEO Jim Skinner also said the move responds to demand by customers, not consumer groups.

"We've communicated with our customers for more than 30 years now about our food" ingredients, he said in an interview at the McDonald's flagship restaurant in downtown Chicago. "This was a way for us to close that loop and provide them with an easy way to understand the nutrition information in the food that they're eating."

The new packaging will be introduced in McDonald's restaurants in North America, Europe, Asia and Latin America starting in the first half of 2006. The Oak Brook, Ill.-based company said it expects to have the packaging available in more than 20,000 of its 30,000-plus restaurants worldwide by the end of the year.

McDonald's has been a magnet for complaints that fast food is unhealthy. It was targeted by the 2003 documentary "Supersize Me," which focused on the health risks of an all fast-food diet, and hit with a lawsuit blaming the company for the obesity of teenage customers, although that suit was dismissed.

The company has long maintained that its food can be part of an active, balanced lifestyle.

The packaging information will consist of icons and bar charts displaying how McDonald's menu items relate to daily recommendations for calories, protein, fat, carbohydrates and sodium.

They will debut at McDonald's restaurants at the Olympic Winter Games in Turin, Italy, in February.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nonprofit health advocacy group, called the move "a useful step in providing customers more, and more readable, nutrition information." But the Washington-based organization, which has long urged fast-food companies to both provide more information and offer healthier food, was muted in its praise and said McDonald's should provide calorie counts on its menu boards.

"Considering America's obesity epidemic, that calorie information would do more than just about any other measure to help people protect their waistlines," said CSPI Executive Director Michael F. Jacobson.

He also said that instead of giving total fat content, McDonald's should have been more specific since its fried foods are high in saturated and trans fats, which increase the risk of heart disease.

But Dr. Louis Sullivan, former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services and a health adviser to McDonald's, said its "creative" approach is "scientifically sound and communicates complex information in a clear and accessible way."

Skinner said putting the data on the menu board would make it too complex and would slow down service.

Chris
Old 10-27-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What nutrition?

I am a walking nightmare tribute to the fattitude that is the fast food industry. The fact that I am alive amazes even me. I think if I were to cut my wrists I would bleed fast food greasiness. Sigh....
Old 10-27-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i wonder how many ingredients will be unpronouncable chemicals? Everytime I eat there, which is like once a year my stomach doesn't feel too well afterwards.
Old 10-27-05, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i wonder how many ingredients will be unpronouncable chemicals? Everytime I eat there, which is like once a year my stomach doesn't feel too well afterwards.
Well see if you went there regularly, like twice a month, then your stomach wouldn't get all upset!

Chris
Old 10-27-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Skinner said putting the data on the menu board would make it too complex and would slow down service.

Keeping people McDumb and McDumber. I'm lovin' it!
Old 10-27-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lord no, I don't want to know what's in it!
Old 10-27-05, 07:53 PM
Li

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

Keeping people McDumb and McDumber. I'm lovin' it!
Well, there is some truth to that. If everyone was examining the nutritional information it probably would take longer for them to complete their order. I think it makes more sense to put it on the rapper, even if you don't know what you're getting the first time around.
Old 10-27-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok, for the FIRST visit EVER in a person's lifetime to McDonald's, I would agree, the lines would be slower.

But McDonald's, the last time I checked, has a large regular customer base. So, after a few initial visits, you already know what you want, and you skim the nutritional info.

Come to think of it, the lines are slower anyway when McDonald's changes their menu to add new food products. There is always a learning curve, but once you introduce it, people adapt and business goes on. McDonald's makes it sound so tragic. And I highly doubt it would be much of a strain on the consumer.
Old 10-27-05, 08:13 PM
rmw
Banned

Originally Posted by Li
I think it makes more sense to put it on the rapper, even if you don't know what you're getting the first time around.
Personally, I think all nutrition information should be put on the rapper. Here's a good example:

Old 10-27-05, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm guessing this is really their attempt to cover their ass and prevent another frivolous law suit than anything else. The nutrition info has been on their website for quite some time.
Old 10-27-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you won't know just how much fat and cholesterol is in your unhappy meal until AFTER you make the purchase - will there be an option to get a refund once you've had a chance to read the wrapper? 'Course not!
Old 10-28-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see what the pronunciation of an ingredient has to do with its nutritional value. Every ingredient, whether natural or not, in everything you eat is a chemical.

I don't mean to single you out. It just happens to be a pet peeve of mine.
Old 10-28-05, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by rmw
Personally, I think all nutrition information should be put on the rapper. Here's a good example:

That's one salty rapper!
Old 10-28-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i wonder how many ingredients will be unpronouncable chemicals?
They're not listing the ingredients, only select nutritional information.
Old 10-28-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sdcrym
I don't see what the pronunciation of an ingredient has to do with its nutritional value. Every ingredient, whether natural or not, in everything you eat is a chemical.

I don't mean to single you out. It just happens to be a pet peeve of mine.
So, you're saying that a carrot and Monosodium Glutamate are both chemicals, and why be biased.

Ever read the ingredients on a Tony's Pizza?

Would you rather have REAL cheese, made from cows and basic cheese-making techniques perfected over hundreds of years, or Sodium Aluminum Phosphate with Mozzarella Cheese Substitute (Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Casein, Potato Starch).

Please. There is a difference and those big words most often mean artificial and dangerous chemicals if eaten on a regular basis.

If I cheese on a regular basis, the only thing that happens is I can't shit for a few days.

Everything is a chemical. Ok. But do these chemicals occur naturally. That's the big difference. Man-made chemically mutated fake foods, are much more harmful than picking an orange or apple off a tree.

Want some Sorbitan Monostearate or a glass of OJ.
Old 10-28-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the point of this? People who buy the food will be too lazy to even read what's written on the packaging.
Old 10-28-05, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I'm in Singapore they already print their nutrition information on the tray paper. They have info on fat, cholesterol, sodium and some other stuff I can't remember. I'm not sure if it's only in Singapore, but I think it's a good thing.
Old 10-28-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
So you won't know just how much fat and cholesterol is in your unhappy meal until AFTER you make the purchase - will there be an option to get a refund once you've had a chance to read the wrapper? 'Course not!

I'm sure they will still have the nutrition info behind the counter like they already do.
Old 10-28-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by marty888

chances are that if you eat at McD's you don't care about the nutritional content of your food, or taste
Old 10-28-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's kind of like those big tobacco ads saying smoking is bad for your health, they ain't hurtin' for bidness.
Old 10-28-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Geez how much iron can dog meat have?
Old 10-28-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I checked the nutritional info on their web site just last week. It's far better than jack in the Box and the things I used to regularly order there. I actually ate at McDonalds yesterday as a result of seeing that. But cut me some slack... I was a long ways from home and had just come out of a 4 hour meeting. I was starving.
Old 10-28-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
But McDonald's, the last time I checked, has a large regular customer base.
Old 10-28-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 10-28-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although, if they eat McDonald's a lot, I doubt they're "regular."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.