Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Portland (OR) Pros and Cons :D

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-10-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I went to Portland this weekend, first time in a couple of years, first time by myself (ie, without any other friends or family driving with me, though I did stay with my brother). Interesting weekend in a lot of ways, and I'm looking forward to going back for the Otter Meet, but in the meantime, I have some OPINIONS about the Rose City!

Pros:
-- No sales tax! Woohooo! I hit a few stores, even stopped at Walmart to stock up on staples, since no sales tax means it's almost 9% cheaper than here in Seattle.

-- Very very nice, polite sales/service people. It took some getting used to, having clerks in stores/etc be so friendly that they joke with you, ask how you are and actually wait for an answer... it was almost creepy, as I'm used to stone-faced MYOB clerks here in Seattle...

-- Cool little stores in some area that I think my brother called the Northwest area of downtown? Funky little shops, a branch of my favorite bath and body store (called Lush), good window shopping, and though my brother compared it to Broadway area of Seattle, it felt safer!

-- Awesome pizza at a place called something like Pizzacato, and yuummmmmmy chocolates at Moonstruck chocolates. Yummmmmm

-- Powell's books... biggest bookstore I've ever been in, also tax-free and lots of used books so even cheaper. I'd heard of it, but only been once, years ago, and could have spent all day (and my entire paycheck) there..

-- Every gas station I saw was cheaper than the very cheapest I know of in the entire Seattle area... unfortunately, I stupidly didn't stop for gas before I drove back... none of you Portlanders can whine about gas prices, as far as I'm concerned!!

Cons:
-- Apparently either cars in Oregon are issued without turn signals, or it never comes up in driver's ed classes... I've never had SO many people try to just merge over into me without so much as a hint of warning, not to mention all the loonies who turned in front of me without signalling... can someone explain that to me??

-- I saw only ONE Tully's, the entire time I was down there, and very little in the way of espresso stands. Found several Starbucks, but yuch, that's last-resort as far as I'm concerned. Blech. Here in Seattle, there's small espresso stands every five feet, but there, I saw almost none.

-- No waterfront. Yeah, you have the river, but watching the sunset, where do you go? Where's the romantic overlooks over the city?? Where's the great date places??? Granted, I don't want to go to any of those with my brother, but I saw no potential views anywhere I went.

OK, that's enough to start discussion! Feel free to add your own, as will I, as I think of them!

Last edited by shoppingbear; 10-11-05 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-10-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Cons: Hippies
Old 10-10-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cons: the traffic!!!!!
Old 10-10-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I like staring at the dirty, icky, gooey Willamette River! It's romantic. And my Tweaker girlfriend says the same. Let me check to be sure...

...yeah she just raised one arm with a bottle of Muratic acid. That's the sign she's very happy.
Old 10-10-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shoppingbear

Cons:
-- Apparently either cars in Oregon are issued without turn signals, or it never comes up in driver's ed classes... I've never had SO many people try to just merge over into me without so much as a hint of warning, not to mention all the loonies who turned in front of me without signalling... can someone explain that to me??
You could have waved at me.
Old 10-10-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
You could have waved at me.
Ohhhh... that was you?? Dude, next time, just blow me a kiss, no need to run me over...
Old 10-10-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You get arrested for blowing kisses in Oregon. It's called sexually deviant behavior.
Old 10-10-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously I never use my turn signal unless my lane change may affect someone else's travel. If I'm driving 75 down Hwy 26 and I just passed someone going 55, there's no need for me to signal when I'm coming back into his lane long after I've passed him.

If you want views of the city, you should have gone to the U of Portland campus on the bluff that overlooks Portland.
Old 10-10-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pros:
-- No sales tax! Woohooo! I hit a few stores, even stopped at Walmart to stock up on staples, since no sales tax means it's almost 9% cheaper than here in Seattle.
Live across the river and you don't pay any income tax. Plus, you can still shop in Portland for no sales tax. Best of both worlds.
Old 10-10-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

...with the huge downfall of living in Vancover, WA.
Old 10-10-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pros: Cheap parking garages...its free if you buy something and get it validated.
Old 10-10-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say the sheer number of DVDTalkers that live there would be a con.
Old 10-10-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
THat isn't as bad as living around a ton of FW'ers.....because you'd never get a deal ever again.
Old 10-10-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pro: It ain't Portland, ME

Con: It was named for Portland, ME (at least according to the Car Guys)
Old 10-10-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Con: Their basketball team sucks

Pro: if you mention any player on the team, you get a 20% discount on pot
Old 10-10-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We may have a terrible basketball team but we have an AWESOME golf team.
Old 10-10-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HEY!
Old 10-10-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
Con: Their basketball team sucks

Pro: if you mention any player on the team, you get a 20% discount on pot
It's funny because it's true.
Old 10-10-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What the heck are you going to do with all those staples?
Old 10-11-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's why I moved from there to Vegas.

-- I saw only ONE Tully's, the entire time I was down there, and very little in the way of espresso stands. Found several Starbucks, but yuch, that's last-resort as far as I'm concerned. Blech. Here in Seattle, there's small espresso stands every five feet, but there, I saw almost none.
Tully's isn't a big chain in OR. It's not really a big chain outside of the Seattle area, as far as I know. You can get Tully's coffee in most grocery stores there though.

Where were you where you couldn't find an espresso stand?!?! They aren't out on the sidewalks because that is illegally blocking a pedestrian right of way. If you were outside of downtown, just about every shopping center has a drive thru coffee stand, and if you're downtown all you have to do is walk into just about any building and there's one right there.

If you were downtown, I hope you saw the 90 million food stands, trailers, kiosks, etc.
Old 10-11-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You sure that Tully's isn't a big chain? The just opened up a new Fry's grocery store (Kroger company) near Phoenix and there is a Tully's inside.
Old 10-11-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Con: Oregon does not trust you to pump your own gas....so they hire people to do it for you....when they are damn good and ready.
Old 10-11-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
...with the huge downfall of living in Vancover, WA.
An automatic 9% pay raise and cheaper housing should provide you a bit of relief.

You're in Hillsboro right? Not much difference between there and Vancouver, other than price.
Old 10-11-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
An automatic 9% pay raise and cheaper housing should provide you a bit of relief.

You're in Hillsboro right? Not much difference between there and Vancouver, other than price.
Uh, I beg to differ. I'm on the border of Hillsboro and Beaverton. My sister lives in Vancouver. Huge difference between here and there.

For starters, I'm the only white, English speaking person on my street....
Old 10-11-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Con: Oregon does not trust you to pump your own gas....so they hire people to do it for you....when they are damn good and ready.
Hey! The carbon blobs need jobs, too!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.