Reload this Page >

Putting XM radio in a Honda Accord?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-10-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 Accord with the navigation system. I'm going to pick up the new DVD soon -- I still use the one that came with it -- and apparently one of the updates is "Navigation control of XM audio." The 2004 models began offering XM standard with the nav system.

So my questions are: what else do I need? Will that alone allow me to pick up XM with a subscription, or will I need to put in a special antenna? And if so, where and at what cost?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-10-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you get an aftermarket XM, I think you need a separate antenna and run cables through the car
Old 10-10-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you have a physical XM button around the radio/navigation? If not, it probably will not have XM, unless you can get to it from pressing the Audio button, then touchscreen for XM.
Old 10-10-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe that just allows you to control it through the nav unit, but you still have to have the XM deal, which you don't.
Old 10-10-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, he will still need the XM deal. I think he is asking if he has XM ready if he put in the new DVD for the navigation.
Old 10-10-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
2003's did not have XM, so your navi controls will not work, because you have to get an aftermarket radio. I love XM so I would suggest the aftermarket.

Does the Navi still have the storage compartment under the radio? If it does...

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t...ghlight=accord
Old 10-10-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
2003's did not have XM, so your navi controls will not work, because you have to get an aftermarket radio.
But it seems as if the Honda site is saying it puts XM control on a 2003 nav system. I'm assuming from the other posts that I'll need another piece of hardware to go with the new software.
Old 10-10-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Could be the dealer install XM reciever, which is 10x the cost of a Delphi, and has a crappy display

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accelect03.html

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 10-10-05 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try asking here:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=27
Old 10-10-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of these Honda forums suck. You'd be lucky to get a respond if they see you as a newbie.
Old 10-10-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, try asking here

www.xmfan.com

www.xm411.com
Old 10-11-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zuffy
Most of these Honda forums suck. You'd be lucky to get a response if they see you as a newbie.
Unless you're talking about dropping your Civic. I was looking for something a while back and that was all I could find out about.

Ironically enough, there were several stories about folks' cars being stolen as well.
Old 10-11-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've asked a few questions in the past that never got any responds. For example, I need a DIY instruction or just some simple guidance for replacing the suspension in my 95 Accord. Or asking where the fuel pump wire and what color it is so I can install a kill switch. Zippo, no responds. It's not like these are uncommon questions I'm asking. The search is useless too.

Anyway, I was listening to the Yankees/Angels game on XM radio yesterday in my New Accord. I can't believe it shows the scores, inning, and outs for the game. That is friggin awesome. Too bad I don't drive everyday to justify the monthly fee.
Old 10-11-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zuffy
Anyway, I was listening to the Yankees/Angels game on XM radio yesterday in my New Accord. I can't believe it shows the scores, inning, and outs for the game. That is friggin awesome. Too bad I don't drive everyday to justify the monthly fee.
During the regular season, you can scan to the channel with the Red Sox or Indians without ever tuning in just to get updates. Was invaluable down the stretch

the talk channels will also scroll between the show name, the phone number, and the guest who's speaking, so if you tune in mid-interview, you know who's speaking