Reload this Page >

Mall of America advice.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mall of America advice.

Old 10-10-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mall of America advice.

I'm coming over to the Mall of America in a couple of weeks and I need to get some advice. I know there is about 520 stores and I don't think i can get to each one of them. So what I need is some advice on the ones to visit.

I need a recommendation for a good electrical store and a good one for DVDS. Also any shops that are out of the ordinary, anything that you think I would have just dismissed because I would have just walked past it.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-05, 01:29 PM
Banned

I have no advice for you on the mall, but I do have a question. Are you coming from London, SPECIFICALLY just to go to the Mall of America?

And I assume you've seen this:

http://www.mallofamerica.com/
Old 10-10-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you haven't been to a mall in awhile....go watch Mallrats, so you can get aclimated with some of the hijinx that may occur during your visit. Beware of the chocolate pretzels!!
Old 10-10-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I have no advice for you on the mall, but I do have a question. Are you coming from London, SPECIFICALLY just to go to the Mall of America?"

Not really, it's a long story. Was going to New York but that week was the marathon so hotels were expensive/ non-available. I was flying with NWA and minneapolis is their hub, so there you go! (It wasn't that long a story in the end).

In regards to Mallrats, I'm a big Kevin Smith fan and while watching the new Mallrats DVD yesterday , when I remembered the mall in the film is actually in Minneapolis. Just wondering if it still there (I wasn't quite sure if it still there, on the DVD they mentioned the Mall of America was taking all their business) and were exactly it is.
Old 10-10-05, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdslater1
In regards to Mallrats, I'm a big Kevin Smith fan and while watching the new Mallrats DVD yesterday , when I remembered the mall in the film is actually in Minneapolis. Just wondering if it still there (I wasn't quite sure if it still there, on the DVD they mentioned the Mall of America was taking all their business) and were exactly it is.
The mall is still there, however it has been totally remodeled and is unrecognizable to that of the mall in the movie. The mall is in Eden Prairie (Minneapolis suburb).
Old 10-10-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is there really anything you can get at the mall that you couldn't get from a trip to best buy, target and sports authority?
Old 10-10-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Statutory rape charge

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
is there really anything you can get at the mall that you couldn't get from a trip to best buy, target and sports authority?
I suppose it's just the aura of it all. There is a theme park inside, a giant movie theater and all the things that other malls offer -- only on a grander scale.
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
a bunch of high school girl's phone numbers
Old 10-10-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by twikoff
a bunch of high school girl's phone numbers
They have cell phones....CHA-CHING!!
Old 10-10-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I suppose it's just the aura of it all. There is a theme park inside, a giant movie theater and all the things that other malls offer -- only on a grander scale.
There are A LOT of specialty stores in there that you just don't see in many other places, or would have to shop online for. I would recommend any of the specialty stores in the mall.
Old 10-10-05, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
There are A LOT of specialty stores in there that you just don't see in many other places, or would have to shop online for. I would recommend any of the specialty stores in the mall.
That's a good point that I should have mentioned. There are indeed a lot of MOA exclusive stores worth checking out.
Old 10-10-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The way it's setup with tiers and all, if you have 4 hours you can still easily see most of it. Unless your one of those extremely slow shoppers that takes an hour a store I have MOA pamplet here but no scanner. I'm sure the main site has the map layout as well. Nordstorm has some nice parking if you get there early.
Old 10-10-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On the DVD front, I can't really recommend anything. All of the stores sell at full MSRP, and you could probably find something cheaper somewhere else (and Region 2 compatible!)

What's nice about the clothing stores in MN is there's no sales tax on clothing, so that actually cuts back a whole lot from the overpriced nature of the store.

I can't really think of anything too special off the top of my head. I mean, that place has been there ever since I've been in Minnesota, and I've probably made about 35 or 40 trips there, so nothing sticks out as special anymore.

Although I did get a pretty sweet pirate sword at the Dollar Store!
Old 10-10-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jdslater1
"I have no advice for you on the mall, but I do have a question. Are you coming from London, SPECIFICALLY just to go to the Mall of America?"

Not really, it's a long story. Was going to New York but that week was the marathon so hotels were expensive/ non-available. I was flying with NWA and minneapolis is their hub, so there you go! (It wasn't that long a story in the end).

Actually it's in Eden Prairie and yes its still there but it's been updated so it doesn't look quite like it anymore. There aren't any amazing dvd stores at the MOA...just your regular, overpriced, run of the mill, record stores like Suncoast, etc etc.
Old 10-10-05, 05:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Since I live only a couple of miles from the MOA I guess I'm the authority (well not really).

Nice Stores to visit:

- Minnesota Bound (really tastey home brew rootbeer there)
- Games By James
- LegoLand Store
- Magician Store
- Suncoast Video for DVDs

Other Things Todo:
- Camp Snoopy Ripsaw Rollercoaster
- Camp Snoopy Timberland Twister
- Underwater World
- Oxygen Bar (you get a massage at the end too)
- Take the train to downtown (you could catch a Vikings game)

Upscale Restaurants:
- California Cafe (the pizza is reasonable and the Sangria pitcher is a good deal)
- Napa Valley Grille

Fun Restaurants:
- Bubba Gump Shrimp
- Famous Dave's BBQ (good BBQ)
- Tucci Benuch (good italian)

Other Good Eats:
- Cold Stone Creamary for ice cream
- Camp Snoopy for Deep Fried Oreos, Funnel Cakes, and other foods you'd find at the fair
Old 10-10-05, 05:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

BTW: how long will you be here and where are you staying?
Old 10-11-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget to have an Orange Julius!
Old 10-11-05, 01:23 AM

I work at the MOA... yay for me (er, not really).

Regarding electronic stores, there are: Sears, Circuit City Express, Apple and Bose that I can think of.

And yes, the only dedicated DVD store is Suncoast but like somebody mentioned before, you can get much better prices online.

They also recently opened Aces, a flight simulation place. Have not been there myself, but from what I've heard it's pretty fun (if you're into that sorta thing).

If you like Cheese, there is a store dedicated to just that.

Personally, I think The Afternoon is one of the most unique stores there. Lots of odd little home furnishings, books, cards, and misc. stuff. (I bought a very cool wall clock there).

Urban Outfitters, which is mainly a clothing store, also carries some odd/unique little things too.

And if you like peanut butter, P.B. Loco is a local place that sells weird combinations of peanut butter sandwiches.

Hmm... that's all I can think of (and all I want to think of). Enjoy your trip!

EDIT: I just remembered that during certain times of the day, you can take a backstage tour of Underwater Adventures. I believe around 11am you can watch a shark feeding (last I heard of this was a year ago so I'm not sure if they still do it).

Last edited by wnyx1440; 10-11-05 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-11-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Sam Goody has a new interactive screen on the floor. (it should be installed by now) I got to play with a display a few weeks back, and its pretty cool to see. Its pretty inivative, and I think it will become like the piano in the movie big...check it out.
Old 10-11-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There's also an IKEA right next door to the MOA, which is worth checking out if you don't have one in london.
Old 10-11-05, 09:48 AM

I think all the bars recently closed down at the MOA - so if you're going there and wanting to get blitzed, don't hold your breath. Also, I forgot to mention the underwater aquariam, which is worth checking out.
Old 10-11-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you want to see my sister dancing and singing with Snoopy/Charlie Brown & The Peanut Gang check out the stage under the roller coasters.

I don't know why you would but it is an option.
Old 10-11-05, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by auto
If you want to see my sister dancing and singing with Snoopy/Charlie Brown & The Peanut Gang check out the stage under the roller coasters.

I don't know why you would but it is an option.
Pics?
Old 10-11-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Grrrrr

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.