Reload this Page >

Attack of the Crickets

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Attack of the Crickets

Old 10-09-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attack of the Crickets

Help! Over the past couple of days there's been a strange surge in cricket visitors in my basement. I don't know if it is the recent rains or what, but I've been finding a couple of crickets in the basement regularly. Some are sometimes hiding in the wall spaces between the cement and the drywall with no way of me getting at them.

They chirp and chirp and chirp and drive me nuts. Also makes it hard to watch TV. Short of a shotgun or setting fire to everything, how do I get rid of them? Buy some cats? Or birds? Or spiders? Is there cricket poison? Cricket traps? How are they getting in?

Help!
Old 10-09-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy some geckos.
Old 10-10-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would like to know how to get rid of cricket bugs too. any sprays of any sort?
Old 10-10-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.getridofthings.com/getridofcrickets.htm
Old 10-10-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having the same problem here and I'm on the other side of the country! It must be a coordinated cricket offensive! Honest-to-God the continual chirping from behind the baseboards when I'm watching a movie almost makes me lose my mind! I've tried a standard insect spray with absolutely no effect (other than gagging on the redisual smell). I'm planning on removing the baseboard to see if I can find their hideout and fill it with some household sealant. Noisy little bastards!!
Old 10-10-05, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a cricket that lived outside my bedroom window, in a shrub, that chirped non-stop for about 2 weeks straight. When i say nonstop, i mean - it never stopped.

In desperation i tried all sorts of homemade remedies. i turned the water hose on it, i stomped on it, i sprayed insectisides on it. It just wouldnt die. I had to buy earplugs to maintain my sanity.

Finally i went out there one night and unloaded an entire can of raid cockroach killer onto and around the shrub, and that killed it.

If they are inside your basement, and inside of or around your furniture, oh my god - i feel your pain.
Old 10-10-05, 01:49 PM

I have the same problem in Diego. Last year, I had one living under the baseboard behind the couch of my living room and was killing my movie watching experience. I determined that they were entering the house through a gap around one of the window so I used some caulking to seal that up. I then went to Vons and bought the large roach traps and layed them all out along the baseboard so the little bastard couldn't help but stumble into one of them. Problem was solved the next day.

I have zero tolerance policy when I see one in my apartment. I hunt them down and stomp them.

There's a new one in the same spot this year that is proving craftier but it is only a matter of time...
Old 10-11-05, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by chente
I have the same problem in Diego. Last year, I had one living under the baseboard behind the couch of my living room and was killing my movie watching experience. I determined that they were entering the house through a gap around one of the window so I used some caulking to seal that up. I then went to Vons and bought the large roach traps and layed them all out along the baseboard so the little bastard couldn't help but stumble into one of them. Problem was solved the next day.

I have zero tolerance policy when I see one in my apartment. I hunt them down and stomp them.

There's a new one in the same spot this year that is proving craftier but it is only a matter of time...
Update! The little bastard chirps no more.