Reload this Page >

Driving in Boston is horrible!!!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-09-05, 09:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from New England and i would say that roads in Boston is awful, drivers are awful and rude. To drive in this city, you gotta be a nut!!!
I thought 10mph over the speed limit is bad.....until i saw how Boston drivers are....holy shit!!! Easily the norm is 20-30mph over the speed limit. Even going 10mph over speed limit, i still get tailgated....WTF????
Every driver won't let you change lanes and everyone wants to get in front of you. Flame me if you want but i am glad Bostonians got bad traffic jams!!! Feels good knowing such rude drivers get stuck in jams!!! Muahahahhahahahaha!!!!!
Old 10-09-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I know what the problem was. Is this your car?

Old 10-09-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, typically all city drivers suck. I don't know if I would single out Boston.
Old 10-09-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Driving is awful period. Try Orlando or Atlanta sometime. It is a prerequisite that you must accelerate through a yellow light, run a red light, not stop at stop signs, not turn your blinkers on, and not turn your lights on in the rain. If you do any of those things, you lose your license for a year.
Old 10-09-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree. I went there on vacation and I was so afraid that I was going to die about every 20 seconds.
Old 10-09-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, sounds like you are describing Washington DC too

Put too many people on too little roads and this is what happens.

People Suck!
Old 10-09-05, 10:09 PM

LOL!!!! Not really, not all cities are this way.....maybe New York or DC would be the same but my goodness.....i never want to drive there anymore.....maybe its the east coast drivers!!!!! Hmmmm.......
Old 10-09-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We took the train into Boston, and walked or rode the subway around the area. It was great! Cheaper than driving and paying for parking, and less stressful.

Boston is a very walkable city.
Old 10-09-05, 10:57 PM
GFM

Boston driving is like dancing. If you don't know what you're doing, you look like an idiot and piss everyone off around you. There are certain rules to driving in Boston and the highways around them. Among them
1) never leave a gap between you and the car in front of you. Otherwise cut me off
2) never make eye contact, otherwise means you acknowledge my presence so please cut me off
3) I can not stress this enough, do not ever stop moving your car downtown (tells every pedestrian to cross the street at that moment, but stagger themselves for at least 20 seconds).
4) If you insist on travelling in the left lane and don't concede the lane, expect to be cut off
5) Assume 80-85 as the real speed limit on 95 and 90 and 75-80 on 128 and 93. (see rules 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7)
6) If a cop has flashing lights around a construction zone, don't slow down to 20 miles under the speed limit. He's required by law to be there and all it does it say cut me off as soon as you clear the site.
7) Fear nothing, keep the ranks close, expect everyone to cut you off. Salute the driver who makes a good move, curse the driver who makes a cowardly one.

Many others (don't get me started on rotaries), but those are the ones that jumped into mind right away. Driving is a piece of cake once you get into the flow of things. It's when I go to DC, Frisco, Houston, Chicago or pretty much any other big city (not New York though) that I tend to get annoyed with traffic.
Old 10-09-05, 11:10 PM

I wonder whats the accident rate in Boston?
I think one leaves gap to avoid a fender bender.....but as a visitor to Boston....driving is a nightmare......i dread to even think of NY or DC......
Old 10-09-05, 11:14 PM

I lived in Boston for six months and I HATED driving there.

Let me preface this that I am from Detroit, the Motor City, which is a very spread-out, car-based town and home to some of the most aggressive drivers in the country.

But I found Boston drivers to be more passive-agressive than aggressive. Like, they would pull out halfway in front of you and then stop and turn around and look at you as if to say "Can I go?" And you're just sitting there going "Duh! You've already blocked my path moron!"

Driving in Boston requires that you re-learn the rules of the road that apply in every other city. For instance, at a left hand turn, in every other town you are taught you must first yield to the oncoming traffic. Not so in Boston. In Boston, as soon as the light turns green you are expected to "hurry up" and turn left BEFORE the oncoming cars, lest you be honked at.

In every other town, a police car is usually given a modicum of respect by other drivers. Not in Boston. I once saw a Boston cop trying to change lanes and not one car would let him over. I couldn't believe it. In other cities, people are taught they must pull to the side when an emergency vehicle is approaching with lights blaring. Not in Boston. If you pull to the side to allow an ambulance or fire engine pass, the people behind you will honk and shake their fist.

As if the people driving aren't bad enough, the roads make it even harder. There are very few road signs, which often contributes to the general chaos. A lane will suddenly end, with no sign warning about this, and no sign that indicates which lane should merge into the other. So neither person knows who has the right-of-way. Major intersections are not identified with signs so it is very easy to make a wrong turn. The streets aren't even layed out in a straight line, so good luck if you get lost. Even a person with an impeccable sense of direction cannot navigate these roads. Don't even get me started about "rotaries". I can see their use if there is an intersection with several streets converging in one spot, but I remember a few rotaries that were used where a standard 4-way stop would have sufficed.

I always thought it was funny that despite the lack of street signs, every entrance ramp onto the highway had a "no left turn" sign as if you could turn left there anyway. Speaking of entrance ramps, I have never seen so-called "aggressive" drivers drive so more slowly than the people of Boston entering a highway. I was always struggling to get my 4-cylinder up to speed on the highway because I was driving behind someone on the entrance ramp at 35 mph.

I probably would have stayed in Boston longer if I had an office job and did not have to travel around the city so much. It was enough to make me running back to the Midwest, pulling my hair out.
Old 10-09-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boston isn't that bad. Their only fault is the damned Mass Pike. I just can't bring myself to pay to drive down a street. I have enough of a problem paying for bridge tolls, let alone street tolls.

San Francisco is the pits to drive in for the simple fact that pedestrians never look when they cross the street, usually against the light, and they just assume you're going to stop for them. Frankly, you don't know how tempted I am to just plow right through a mob crossing the street on Market and Castro. It would serve them right for getting in my way.
Old 10-09-05, 11:18 PM
GFM

I'm sure it's pretty high. I've seen more than a couple accidents in front of me going through rotaries and been involved in one myself. A lot of low speed fender benders, but surprisingly you don't see to many pileups considering the tailgaiting.

I work outside DC (Dulles) during the week and I get a bit nervous driving there. People jam on their brakes for no real reason it seems and I see about 1 rolled SUV a month on side streets.

Most people who live around Boston tend to not drive too much in it. Like Mrs. Danger said, easiest to park and then just take the T or walk. I tend to park either in Charlestown or around Boston University and then just use public transportation. Not worth the parking hassle and the ever changing traffic pattern.
Old 10-09-05, 11:53 PM

Yeah...thats the problem...the roads are not properly marked......heck....on some roads i don't even know how it turns!!! Don't get me started on Logan International Airport.....ughh!!!! Bottomline.....leave your car behind....use the T and walk.....
Old 10-10-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have to say, I spent two weeks in Boston in July of 2004 on a business trip and everyone warned me about the traffic and "rude" drivers, but I found them to be extremely tolerant of my out-of-towner stupidity on many occasions. I would go so far as to say they were courteous. Most big cities have big traffic problems, but I found Boston to be better than average. Maybe I was just lucky though.
Old 10-10-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I lived in Boston for five years. Amateurs are not encouraged to drive there.

You think the driving is tough? Try finding a legal parking space!
Old 10-10-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of all the cities I've driven in, Boston is easily the most nerve-wracking. Fortunately it was only on 1 trip.
Old 10-10-05, 09:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lived in Boston for about 10 years, and by the time I left I was almost comfortable driving there.
Old 10-10-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Makes me appreciate LA driving now.
Old 10-10-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've lived in the Boston area my whole life, and I don't like driving in the city. The main problem is the Big Dig. Every time you go into town the roads are different. I usually take the train in. It makes things much easier.
Old 10-10-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

where is driving pleasant???
Old 10-10-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vhgong
Just got back from New England and i would say that roads in Boston is awful, drivers are awful and rude. To drive in this city, you gotta be a nut!!!
I thought 10mph over the speed limit is bad.....until i saw how Boston drivers are....holy shit!!! Easily the norm is 20-30mph over the speed limit. Even going 10mph over speed limit, i still get tailgated....WTF????
Every driver won't let you change lanes and everyone wants to get in front of you. Flame me if you want but i am glad Bostonians got bad traffic jams!!! Feels good knowing such rude drivers get stuck in jams!!! Muahahahhahahahaha!!!!!
Sure you're not driving in Portlant, OR?
Old 10-10-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You guys are amateurs. Driving in Boston is a breeze compared to Rome. Then there's Bangkok which is in an entirely different league.
Old 10-10-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The few times in Boston, I did not have much of a problem. However I hated all the one way streets, I could see my hotel that I was trying to get to, but I could not get there. Nothing like having to drive around a couple blocks to get to the entrance to your hotel, yeah Boston driving sucks.

You can blame the people who built the city as they needed to back in the 17th and 18th century.
Old 10-10-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by vhgong
Every driver won't let you change lanes and everyone wants to get in front of you.
You didn't signal did you? You never EVER signal until after you have successfully changed lanes. Ideally you wait until the driver you cut off flips you the bird, then you flip him two blinks.

The turn signal is strictly a "victory dance" and using it prematurely is a sign of bad breeding. It obligates the other driver to try to keep you from moving over.

(I lived there for six years of college and ten years of work. I still hate to go back and drive there.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.