Reload this Page >

All of my pets are dead or missing

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-09-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We lost our little miniature schnauzer two weeks ago. We have a fenced-in yard, so we left our girl with plenty of food and water and went out of town for the weekend. When we came back, she was gone, probably slipped out somehow between the fence rails.

(We had her clipped and trimmed shortly after this picture was taken, so she looked much neater when she disappeared.)

Then today, after I cleaned out the fish bowl, we lost Mr. Gill, our kids' beta fish. He was the class pet for my son's preschool, so he was at least 3 years old. When I cleaned the bowl and put him back in the water, he started thrashing about -- not sure if I used too much purifier, or if the water was too warm, but I think he went into shock and died.

We had to explain these things to our kids... kind of sad. They sort of shrugged off the fish, but I think losing Mischief was pretty tough. She's been around pretty much since they've been alive, so they don't know what it's like to be in a house without dogs.

So we're down to zero pets. We'll probably get another miniature schnauzer in a few months, and we'll be more careful... and we'll get another beta at some point soon. But for now, we're just a family of four again.
Old 10-09-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear about this.
Old 10-09-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMojo
We lost our little miniature schnauzer two weeks ago. We have a fenced-in yard, so we left our girl with plenty of food and water and went out of town for the weekend. When we came back, she was gone, probably slipped out somehow between the fence rails.
Mojo, I'm sorry for your loss, but...

Are you fucking kidding me? You left a dog unattended for a whole weekend??? And as if that wasn't bad enough (and that's plenty bad, IMHO), you left her in a yard that apparently couldn't even contain her? What the fuck were you thinking?

Don't get another dog, please.

Last edited by LurkerDan; 10-09-05 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 06:45 PM

Sorry to hear that, Mojo.

On a side note, I'll see you all again on page 5!
Old 10-09-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Are you fucking kidding me? You left a dog unattended for a whole weekend??? And as if that wasn't bad enough (and that's plenty bad, IMHO), you left her in a yard that apparently couldn't even contain her? What the fuck were you thinking?

wow, exactly what i was thinking. Could you possibly be more irresponsible?
Old 10-09-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I would like to sympathise with you Mojo, I just can't. You didn't lose your dog because of injury or disease, you lost it because of your bad decision to leave it alone in your yard for 2 days.

If you loved that dog so much you should have left it with a neighbor, family member or one of those "dog shelter/resort" places for a couple of days.

Last edited by Darkfriend; 10-09-05 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of dog shelters, have you checked your local SPCA or kennel for her yet?
Old 10-09-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First off, the yard could contain her. She had never gotten out of it before. We have a pet door, so she was inside almost all of the time, except for when she wanted to go outside. She had lots of food and water, and she had never run away before.

Second, the whole purpose of the line "and we will be more careful" is to highlight that I know I fucked up. We are very good dog owners; we will get another dog, and not make this mistake again. I fully understand that we made a bad decision. It does not help even the slightest bit to have this mistake highlighted once again, especially in such an insulting and derogatory manner.

Third, though, I suppose overall I deserve your reaction. People who post stuff like this on messages board are just asking for people to heap on scorn and derision, right? I don't know why I expected more sympathy and support from anyone here -- especially from people like yourself and CK that I counted as my friends.

I feel like shit about losing my dog -- thanks for kicking me when I'm down.
Old 10-09-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you really expect any less? See here.

At least there is some chance your dog is still alive.

Your fault or not, it's still a loss and I'm sorry for that. It hurts, and obviously, you're learning from that.

Check with your neighbors and see if they have seen the dog or taken it in. And if you haven't already, check your local pounds. All hope is not lost yet.
Old 10-09-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NCMojo
First off, the yard could contain her. She had never gotten out of it before. We have a pet door, so she was inside almost all of the time, except for when she wanted to go outside. She had lots of food and water, and she had never run away before.

Second, the whole purpose of the line "and we will be more careful" is to highlight that I know I fucked up. We are very good dog owners; we will get another dog, and not make this mistake again. I fully understand that we made a bad decision. It does not help even the slightest bit to have this mistake highlighted once again, especially in such an insulting and derogatory manner.

Third, though, I suppose overall I deserve your reaction. People who post stuff like this on messages board are just asking for people to heap on scorn and derision, right? I don't know why I expected more sympathy and support from anyone here -- especially from people like yourself and CK that I counted as my friends.

I feel like shit about losing my dog -- thanks for kicking me when I'm down.
Don't feel too bad about the reactions. On the other side of the coin from the "must pamper pets!" crowd, we (and by "we" I mean virtually everybody I knew growing up, including a local vet) kept pets outdoors, without a fence (unless the animal had shown a proclivity towards biting humans). We lived in a relatively rural, low traffic area, but even the people who lived closer towards trafficked roads just put a fence up.

If we went out of town for a weekend, we'd leave it enough food and water to eat. If we went out of town for longer, we'd have somebody check in and re-feed/water the pet every few days. Other than food and water, we'd make sure it had shelter. And that's it. I can't think of a single pet in our neighborhood that died from anything other than old age (or that wasn't put to sleep because of age related illness).

Pets are animals, not children. They're a lot sturdier than we give them credit for. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but I don't think what you did was all that unreasonable. Maybe the rules are different in an urban/semiurban setting, but for small towns/rural areas, I wouldn't beat yourself up.
Old 10-09-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So what if the dog was stolen and sold into experimentation? I used to live in Minnesota, and I don't know if the practice continues, but back when I was a kid, dogs would get stolen and one of the places they would end up is at the Mayo Clinic for experimentation. People would sell them and turn them over to Mayo for cash. Or stolen and used in fights with pit bulls, or God knows what else. Even if your yard was Ft. Knox for canines, that doesn't mean somebody didn't take the dog, and you're still at fault.

And you have my sympathy for sure. I would be sick to death to think of any of the dogs I grew up with were lost or stolen for any reason. Next time, get a dog you feel comfortable keeping inside or spend the extra few bucks and kennel the animal while you are gone if you can't take the animal with you.
Old 10-09-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mojo, sorry for your loss.

As for the animal gestapo, get over it. It gets real tiring opening any thread about a pet loss and seeing all these animal rights wackos come out of the woodwork and slam the pet owners.
Old 10-09-05, 07:47 PM

Honestly I don't think you deserve another dog in your life.Your not reponsible enough. So please don't ever get another one.
Old 10-09-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Don't feel too bad about the reactions. On the other side of the coin from the "must pamper pets!" crowd, we (and by "we" I mean virtually everybody I knew growing up, including a local vet) kept pets outdoors, without a fence (unless the animal had shown a proclivity towards biting humans). We lived in a relatively rural, low traffic area, but even the people who lived closer towards trafficked roads just put a fence up.

If we went out of town for a weekend, we'd leave it enough food and water to eat. If we went out of town for longer, we'd have somebody check in and re-feed/water the pet every few days. Other than food and water, we'd make sure it had shelter. And that's it. I can't think of a single pet in our neighborhood that died from anything other than old age (or that wasn't put to sleep because of age related illness).

Pets are animals, not children. They're a lot sturdier than we give them credit for. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but I don't think what you did was all that unreasonable. Maybe the rules are different in an urban/semiurban setting, but for small towns/rural areas, I wouldn't beat yourself up.
Good post.
DVD Talk Legend

When was the picture of the dog taken?

As for the fish, you shouldn't be changing all of the water at once, change maybe 25% or 50% of the water at any one time. Gives the fish a chance to adjust plus keeps the beneficial bacteria around.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really sorry for your loss. Keep checking around the neighborhood and the pound, there's still hope of finding her.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by waporvare
Mojo, sorry for your loss.

As for the animal gestapo, get over it. It gets real tiring opening any thread about a pet loss and seeing all these animal rights wackos come out of the woodwork and slam the pet owners.
WTF are you talking about? It's called common sense. Common sense tells you that you don't leave a small dog unattended for a full weekend. There's absolutely no reason to leave the dog out there alone. There are a bunch of very good kennels to leave your dog at for a weekend in the Triad area. It would've cost about $40.
Old 10-09-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
... It would've cost about $40.
$40 is $40.

I'm personally not going to judge NCMojo's decision to leave his dog in the backyard without further information including the weather, whether neighbors were keeping an eye on the dog, shelter, quality and quantity of food / water, etc.
Old 10-09-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dude, please, stop the bullshit. I know perfectly well how hard it is to lose a pet. And i certainly feel horrible for Mojo, but the fact it he was totally at fault here. What if he gets another dog tomorrow and does the same thing?
You just don't leave a dog unattended. It's wrong and irresponsible.
And if you ro WhoGirl feel like saying "oooh, don't listen to the "animal lovers" here then by all means go ahead and say this.
We all know WhoGirl won't miss a chance to shit on me for any reason
Old 10-09-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
WTF are you talking about? It's called common sense. Common sense tells you that you don't leave a small dog unattended for a full weekend. There's absolutely no reason to leave the dog out there alone. There are a bunch of very good kennels to leave your dog at for a weekend in the Triad area. It would've cost about $40.
WTF are you talking about? You do realize not every community in the world has a kennel nearby right? You do realize in the country most people have their pets outside? You do realize a lot of responsible pet owners leave their pets outside? He said there was a doggy door. Shit happens.

Seriously, if you have nothing good to say other than how shitty a pet owner is don't say anything at all.
Old 10-09-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF are you talking about? You do realize not every community in the world has a kennel nearby right? You do realize in the country most people have their pets outside? You do realize a lot of responsible pet owners leave their pets outside? He said there was a doggy door. Shit happens.

Seriously, if you have nothing good to say other than how shitty a pet owner is don't say anything at all.
I know exactly where NCMojo lives. And I used to live right near him. And I know there are plenty of good kennels aroung there, thankyouverymuch.

Even if there was a doggy door, it's still a bad idea. If you're too cheap to take the dog to a kennel, then get a neighbor to come over and let the dog out a couple of times a day. That's what my parents always did.
Old 10-09-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please tell me you people beating up on Mojo are kidding. Seriously, give me a break. One weekend? A dog door and everything. I see him as being a very responsbile pet owner. People who have dog doors and keep their animals trimmed are people who care about their pets, unlike half the owners out there that throw a dog in the back yard and forget it exists. I think another dog would be very fortunate to have such a home.
Old 10-09-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the rule is that no dog belongs in the front yard overnight. Bigger (50+ pounds) dogs can stay in the backyard overnight, but the backyard does have to be fenced really well. It might be ok to leave the dog alone for one night, but two nights isn't safe.
Old 10-09-05, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
$40 is $40.
$40, or risking your dog's life. Easy choice.
Old 10-09-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
dude, please, stop the bullshit. I know perfectly well how hard it is to lose a pet. And i certainly feel horrible for Mojo, but the fact it he was totally at fault here. What if he gets another dog tomorrow and does the same thing?
You just don't leave a dog unattended. It's wrong and irresponsible.
And if you ro WhoGirl feel like saying "oooh, don't listen to the "animal lovers" here then by all means go ahead and say this.
We all know WhoGirl won't miss a chance to shit on me for any reason
Yes, that's exactly it. You have it all figured out, huh? I follow you around the forum, looking for your posts, *just* for the explicit reason of shitting on you. Please, you aren't that special. I merely disagree with bashing someone who has just lost a pet, whether it was their fault or not. Why? Because it fucking hurts to be on the losing side, and I understand that they don't need any more insult added to injury.

It wasn't even you specifically (though you were one of the people who participated in shitting on Chad for leaving his cat out) but it was that entire thread turned into a whole pile of shit, and I see this thread quickly turning into that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.