Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bubble Blues

Old 10-09-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bubble Blues

Playing in the Bodog $100+9 $100k gaurentee today - 761 players, top 63 pay.

Was in good shape (about an average stack) getting onto bubble time, 91 left, the loose player in front of me raised all-in. Having AK, I called. Chip leader a few spots behind me raises it up all-in. Hmm. Had no choice but to call with big slick, with so many chips invested already.

Cards flipped and I felt okay, not great, but it was KJo for the loose short stack, AKo for me, QQ for the big stack. Not thrilled about one of my Ks being gone, but as good as I could have hoped for.

My spirits are lifted by the flop, which brings a K. But it takes me a couple of seconds to digest the card that comes in alongside it - the Q.

Pop. Bubble boy gets bounced in 90th. I hate that! Send me packing early if I'm not gonna cash!

(things are made marginally worse by the fact that about 45 minutes earlier, I had that very big stack dominated preflop and on his way out when he caught his miracle)
Old 10-09-05, 05:04 PM

I've got the 365 30k up now as well and I'm approaching bubble time. Two bubble oustings in one afternoon would be too much for me. Gotta cash this time.
Old 10-09-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good luck dude. Maybe someday I'll have the cojones to put up $100 to get into a tournament.
Old 10-09-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Multitable tourney prize tables are so top-heavy, that bubbling shouldn't really be a concern, unless you're playing far above where your bankroll reasonably lets you play.
Old 10-09-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got knocked out of 365 30k in 124th. I had small pocket pair and bet big after the flop. There was a K but I was checked to so I bet since I hadn't seen a check raise yet (except the few times I did it). I get called by someone with A3o and he gets his A on the river.

Blinds knocked me out soon after.

It pays out to 80th.

Last edited by asabase; 10-09-05 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Multitable tourney prize tables are so top-heavy, that bubbling shouldn't really be a concern, unless you're playing far above where your bankroll reasonably lets you play.
Still stings to play 4 hours and finish just out of the dough.

BTW - survived the bubble in the 365, so I'm not a two-time bubble boy.
Old 10-11-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How long did it take to get into the $ in that 365 one? Not as many playing as I expected, wish I could have actually played that one. Thanksgiving here, so just went allin early.
Old 10-11-05, 12:34 PM

Hmm - I don't remember exactly. Had that one going in the background, paid very little attention to it because I was focused on the Bodog 100k. But I think it started around 2 CST and I was outside working in the yard before 5. So made it into the money in a little less than 3 hours (didn't last long after the bubble).

Normally $60 for 3 hours of poker wouldn't be much to crow about. But since this was just a tourney I had running in the background (if I was involved at Bodog, I wouldn't even respond to it), it ain't bad. Took some of the sting out of the other loss.
Old 10-12-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Playing in the Bodog $100+9 $100k gaurentee today - 761 players, top 63 pay.

Was in good shape (about an average stack) getting onto bubble time, 91 left, the loose player in front of me raised all-in. Having AK, I called. Chip leader a few spots behind me raises it up all-in. Hmm. Had no choice but to call with big slick, with so many chips invested already.
Depending on the size of the pot I might have laid down AKo after the re-raise all in. Think of the range of hands that the chip leader could re-raise with. hes probably not going to make that move with a weaker ace and he could easily have you dominated with AA-KK. Best case scenario he has QQ or worse and even with that you are still risking your tournament life on coin-flip.

Paul Philips:

So if I make it 275 in early position with AKo and a good player makes it 1300 into the whole field with each of us having 20K total, how do you suggest I play this hand in a way that has higher EV than folding? The key words here are "reverse implied odds". They are so oppressive in this spot that I can't even see my hand in front of my face. I would be more inclined to call with almost anything BUT AK.

If this sounds like madness to you then keep thinking about it until it doesn't
Old 10-12-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Depending on the size of the pot I might have laid down AKo after the re-raise all in. Think of the range of hands that the chip leader could re-raise with. hes probably not going to make that move with a weaker ace and he could easily have you dominated with AA-KK. Best case scenario he has QQ or worse and even with that you are still risking your tournament life on coin-flip.
I don't buy this argument at all. The chip leader can have Anything. Its the avg size holdings that you have to be weary about. Plus being pot committed he pretty much had to call. I believe mgbfan was playing to win and not to $.
Old 10-12-05, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
Going on memory here, but ...

I believe I had just under 6000 chips - a bit below average but still healthy. Blinds were maybe 200-400. The aggressive shorter stack in front of me raised all-in to about 2500, so after the call, I sat with roughly 3500 (only about 9x the BB). Then the big stack reraised it for all my chips.

It was 3500 to call a pot sitting at roughly 11000. A win would leave me with arount 14500 and would place me among the leaders. It was a situation where I felt I was pot invested, and if I had any hope of winning the $25,000 first-place prize, I couldn't fold it. I may have been able to fold my way into the money if I'd let it go. Maybe.

Trust me, it was not a call I was happy about making. I knew full well that I could be dominated. But I also felt pretty sure I had the short stack beat, so the hope was for a coin flip - to win a big multi like that, you need a couple of coin flips.

If the order of events had gone differently and both raises had been in front of me, I would have happily folded. But I got pot invested and big slick warrented a call, I believe.
Old 10-12-05, 04:34 PM
Suspended

I would have done the same thing. Once you put almost 50% of your chips in preflop against 3 players, I dont know the exact odds, but I think he was getting the pot odds to call here, considering the big stack could be raising with any hand.

11k could have easily coasted into the money and one more big move can put you well into the money.
Old 10-13-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by actyper
I don't buy this argument at all. The chip leader can have Anything. Its the avg size holdings that you have to be weary about. Plus being pot committed he pretty much had to call. I believe mgbfan was playing to win and not to $.
MG has since posted what the chip counts and pot size were, I now have the full picture and agree he had to make the call, he had no choice.

However I don't agree that "the chip leader can have anything". Hes not going to make that move with 7-2 off-suit. Hes got one player all in and another who cold called and is pot committed. He re-raises putting mg all in, forcing him into a call. Think about the range of hands the chip leader would make that move with. If that doesn't scream big pair I don't know what does.

Of course he wants to win, but he also wrote about his frustration of not being able to finish in the money. Playing to win is nice but you cant win if you're out of the tourney.

Last edited by Thrush; 10-13-05 at 02:24 AM.