So, talk to me about gun training....

Old 10-08-05, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, talk to me about gun training....

Disclaimer:

Geoff has clearly identified his opinion of guns in the following thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...6&page=1&pp=25

As such, I hope that everyone can follow the spirit of his comments. Also, I believe, in good faith, that this thread topic will not violate the expressed positions of The Geoff, in so much that it will discuss gun and/or other volatile chemical explosive propelled weapons training and/or classes and not the use of said weapons, the purchase of said weapons, or the type of said weapons.

I trust that, in the infinite wisdom of the intelligent, remarkably fit, and, in the case of RandyC, attractive (in a purely platonic sense) moderators, they will make the correct decision to close this thread if they disagree and/or if it gets out of hand.

End Disclaimer

Recently, I've been considering getting some sort of gun training. This training may or may not lead to the purchase of a weapon, but eitherway I feel that if I ever needed it, it might be useful to shoot a gun once or twice in my life (especially in a Katrina/Rita type situation where there are looters and no power).

I've been looking around and the training for conceal carry permits seems to be a good fit. It's long in TX (10 hrs), but that includes some general instructions about cleaning weapsons, using weapons, and provides some range time. Also, the instructors are certified by the state, so it's not like Joe Blow who likes to shoot cans in his back yard is teaching it (at least not without some sort of certification that he knows what he's talking about -- it's better than nothing)

Does anyone know, specifically in TX, if this training includes discussion of laws regarding transportation, storage, use, etc. of weapons? I could call a range and ask, but since they're trying to sell me the training, I'm sure they'll say whatever I want to hear.

Also, any other suggestions? Comments? Other avenues to get some training (my family and friends do not own guns). Advise or Advice?
Old 10-08-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by gkleinman
Most (if not all) the OTHER forum mods are conservatives and I like that balance. I'm happy to have a good mix of views.

If those are conservatives.....

Old 10-08-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know anything about gun laws in TX, but I'd certainly recommend gun training to anyone who has the opportunity. Even though you may never have to use one, it's still good to be familiar with how they work and what to expect if you DO find yourself in a position to use one. Firing a gun can be a little nervewracking, even at a range.

As far as owning a gun, if I was a homeowner without kids, I'd probably have a handgun. With kids in the house I probably wouldn't. No matter how well you try to hide the gun, you know they're going to find it. By the time I was 8, I knew where the guns were in my house and I also knew where the key to the gun cabinet was. I even took them out on occasion.
Old 10-08-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

10 hours sounds like a good length class for a n00b to start with.

I doubt they will go too much into law as that can get them in trouble (you can sue them if you misunderstand the law as they interpret it for you)

You can buy books on state gun laws or look at this web site

http://www.gunlaws.com/

couple basics you need to know.

1. assume all guns are loaded, cocked, and have a hair trigger
2. don't put your finger on the trigger unless you are 100% certain you will shoot
3. never point a gun at anything you don't want big holes in

In the Katrina situation, considering you are a gun n00b, you would be much better off with a long gun to protect yourself (inexpensive @ a discount store). Even for home defense, nothing beats the certain type of long gun.

Ignore the Dirty Harry (or hairy if you are kvrdave) movie image of carrying a pistol and being a tough guy that can shoot the balls off a gnat at 100 yards with steel sights. Unless you dedicate a ton of time and money, you will not ever be this guy.

You might even want to see if you can google up any local shooting clubs in your area or an Issaic Walton League, either will have good info or be able to provide what you are looking for. The NRA is a good place to start too. You want a shooting course that will give you a couple hours of range time with the option of a rented gun if you don't own one.

I have found that organized gun clubs are generally full of very nice people that are more than willing to help someone out that shows a true interest and are always looking for new members.

edited so matta isnt locked - if mods see anything else offensive, please just xxxxxx it out and don't close, thanks

Last edited by 4KRG; 10-08-05 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
...No matter how well you try to hide the gun, you know they're going to find it...
You are correct. Mistake #1 is trying to hide the gun and not talk about it.

I even show them EXACTLY where it is and tell them never to touch it. NO surprises. I haven't found a child yet that can open this box. I even let them play with it on purpose for a while before I ever put a gun in it. Killed the curiosity.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...entPage=family

http://www.kcsafe.com/Handgun4.htm

http://www.biometricsdirect.com/fingerprintsafe.htm

But don't sidetrack the point of the thread
Old 10-08-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Funny Guy! 4KRG is a funny guy.

Old 10-08-05, 02:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4KRG
In the Katrina situation, considering you are a gun n00b, you would be much better off with a (type of weapon) to protect yourself ((price) @ (retailer)). Even for home defense, nothing beats the remington basic pump 12 gauge.
No comments about where to buy guns or the type to buy, please.
Old 10-08-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Living in Texas? Just answer this simple survey:

1. Do you have a pulse or know someone who has a pulse?
2. Will you fully support, "Don't Mess With Texas"?
3. Do you agree to not drink any frilly or girly drinks while operating your fire arm? (Beer and liquor are fine, and encouraged)
4. Do you agree that hunting is an entertaining way to spend a saturday, and that animals are simply meals with hooves/feet?

If you answered yes to at least 3 of the above 4 questions....you qualify for a gun license in texas.

-p
Old 10-08-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
most courses, especially one designed for CCW licensees will cover laws
I know the NRA gets ripped on a lot for political reasons, but they have a lot of good programs that are completely separate from their political activities
http://www.nrahq.org/education/index.asp
http://www.nrahq.org/education/train...ictraining.asp
there's a link to find courses in your area
Old 10-08-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I don't know anything about gun laws in TX, but I'd certainly recommend gun training to anyone who has the opportunity. Even though you may never have to use one, it's still good to be familiar with how they work and what to expect if you DO find yourself in a position to use one. Firing a gun can be a little nervewracking, even at a range.

As far as owning a gun, if I was a homeowner without kids, I'd probably have a handgun. With kids in the house I probably wouldn't. No matter how well you try to hide the gun, you know they're going to find it. By the time I was 8, I knew where the guns were in my house and I also knew where the key to the gun cabinet was. I even took them out on occasion.
which is why instead of sheltering your kids form guns you let them see how they work and teach them how to safely handle them and that they are not toys
I knew where the key was to my dad's gun cabinet too, but i never played with the guns
Old 10-08-05, 03:13 PM

You do know that the slogan "Don't Mess With Texas" is an anti-littering slogan, right? It just looks kind of stupid when people try to make it some sort of ego thing, when it's definitely not.

Re: a license in Texas, the concealed handgun license class is 12 hours. It includes a complete coverage of the Texas Penal codes that concern concealed handgun carry and all of the applicable laws, i.e. when force or deadly force is justified and when they aren't. There wasn't any actual breakdown of your handgun or anything else in the class, because a basic familiarity is assumed.

Where I took my test, you could borrow a gun from the range from the class but everyone had their own. If you qualify on a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. If you qualify w/ a semi-auto, you can carry a revolver or a semi-auto, so that's obviously the way to go.

As I said earlier, the majority of the class is going over the applicable laws and actual shooting at various distances, testing basic competency. I've had my license for over a year and never actually carried, but it's better safe than sorry.
Old 10-08-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also, I post at two pretty good gun related forums. I can provide links if you want, and if you don't want to register to ask any questions at them I'd be willing to ask for you.
the site I post at the most of the two has a hometown section with sub forums for each state which is nice for getting no BS answers about state laws
I'd just post the links now but not sure if that'd be crossing the line
Old 10-08-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am/was a member at a gun specific forum because I was interested in getting a CCW. They can be a great source of information, or at least a good place to start.
Old 10-08-05, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
which is why instead of sheltering your kids form guns you let them see how they work and teach them how to safely handle them and that they are not toys
I knew where the key was to my dad's gun cabinet too, but i never played with the guns
My Dad showed us how to shoot guns, so I was no newbie to them. I suspect the lock boxes today are much better than what I was dealing with as a kid. There were guns in a cabinet that were in my Dad's study and he also had 2 handguns in his bedroom. I knew not to mess around with them, but I would handle them occassionally. I knew they weren't toys, but I was also very curious about them as well. Educating kids about guns doesn't mean they won't still play with them if given a chance.
Old 10-09-05, 03:50 AM

I'm anti-gun but pro-baseball bat. I guess any moron can shoot a gun from a distance but it takes a real man to get in there close and bludgeon someone to death.
Old 10-09-05, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

baseball bat.....

I am killing you...with my mind....wooooo dooooo woooooo
Old 10-09-05, 06:16 AM

Hey, quit it - that tickles.
Old 10-09-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I'm anti-gun but pro-baseball bat. I guess any moron can shoot a gun from a distance but it takes a real man to get in there close and bludgeon someone to death.
No, a real man would kill someone with his bare hands
Old 10-09-05, 10:07 AM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by matta
No comments about where to buy guns or the type to buy, please.
Are you actually serious?? If not, then , but if you are...

Something like that is much different than saying "yeah, you can get a Banger's Special model 'Asscapper Nine' for fitty bucks and a vial of crack, from Crazy Eddie's Bootleg DVD and Gun Emporium... Now located at the corner of 50th & Lincoln (in the trunk of the white Lincoln...)

Anyway, to the topic at hand:

RULE #1: You do NOT talk about Fight Clu....
errr... scratch that...

RULE #1: You ALWAYS treat a gun as if it were loaded!
Which brings us to:
RULE #2: Don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
and that leaves us with:
Rule #3: Don't point the gun at anything (or anyone) unless you intend to put a hole in it.

Of course, Rule #3 doesn't mean you should always shoot a criminal if you have them at gunpoint, but you had better be prepared to shoot if you need to, to protect yourself or others from immediate harm. It isn't going to do anyone any good if the criminal can walk up to you and take the gun from your hands.