Reload this Page >

Just got a new car, now I am worried

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-08-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the wife and I rolled out of the dealership about 8 hours ago with a new 2006 Honda Civic LX model. It's 2 door, has power doors/locks, CD, all the nice things. We're having the "Magic" system installed on Tuesday (that's the thing that prevents the car from being started if you don't have the little keychain to swipe, in case anyone was wondering).

So that's a couple of days away. We live in a gated apartment complex, but I am worried something might happen to the car, like someone might steal it. It has 2 blinking red lights inside (no alarm just deterrents I guess) to fool would be burglars, but not sure if someone would try and break in anyway.

We don't have insurance on it yet (since our insurance co. isn't open until Monday, or Tuesday because of the holiday) and obviously there is no license plates since it's new. So I'm pretty sure we'd be screwed if something happened to it. We do have GAP insurance, but not sure that is for theft cases.

Am I freaking out for no reason or should I be worried? The car is charcoal grey so it blends into the night, and the only available space was right near the gate exit (which opens automatically when someone leaves).

Any advice?
Old 10-08-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there really is only one solution to this problem.

you have to live in your car until you have the security system installed. enjoy.

and go to subway too, they have a special right now, 2 subs, 2 drinks, 2 chips for 8.99
Old 10-08-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mmm, Subway. There are actually some nicer cars around here. I saw one guy has a tricked out little Civic hatchback, and I think someone has a really nice Lexus, too. SO maybe I am just flipping out.
Old 10-08-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you have the money for a 2006 Honda, and apparently enough to pay the insurance rates, you shouldn't be worried about nuttin'.
Old 10-08-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nickdawgy did you get the spinner rims

Old 10-08-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by skiblet
nickdawgy did you get the spinner rims

No, I wouldn't put those on the car if someone gave them to me for free.
Old 10-08-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If you have the money for a 2006 Honda, and apparently enough to pay the insurance rates, you shouldn't be worried about nuttin'.
Think insurance will be alot? We have a 2003 Kia Spectra and pay about $110 a month for full coverage. How much do you think it'd rise with the new Honda?
Old 10-08-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

email me your address,ill keep an eye on it..

[email protected]
Old 10-08-05, 08:27 AM

I bought a used car 2 months ago. Even though I didn't tell them about it right away, I was covered on insurance for up to 30 days since I had a policy with State Farm on my old car, and I was continuing policies, just with a different ride.

So quit your worrying you pansy.
Old 10-08-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am picking up my 06 Accord today. Same color as yours, graphite pearl. Just goto an autoshop and buy the Autolock. Yes, it can be defeated easily but it still require a bit of time to take. That minute could be the difference.
Old 10-08-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Any advice?
Don't forget to start a thread when you find out it's gone.
Old 10-08-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Think insurance will be alot? We have a 2003 Kia Spectra and pay about $110 a month for full coverage. How much do you think it'd rise with the new Honda?
Well, I'm no insurance dude, but I hope you're over 35, married, and own your home.
Old 10-08-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry so much. If your insurance company is reputable, you will have a grace period to update your existing policy and you will be covered on the new car for a few days.

If they approved a loan for you, then most likely they know you have insurance. You can install an ignition cut off switch yourself, it is not hard, you just need a wiring diagram and put a switch in the ignition line at the fuse box.

or

this is a good idea

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...26/ai_80616527
Old 10-08-05, 11:27 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Sounds like a really nice car.
Well.....Good Luck with that...
Old 10-08-05, 12:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Sleep in the car. ...With your wife... Meow.
Old 10-08-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just park your car inside your living room, that way no one will see it. duh
Old 10-08-05, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Don't worry so much. If your insurance company is reputable, you will have a grace period to update your existing policy and you will be covered on the new car for a few days.
Yup, usually 30 days, which also gives you time to shop arround if you're not happy with the rate on the new car.

Nice car BTW. I'm not a big Honda fan, but I've been impressed with their new models recently (other than the element). That Civic looks nice, is fuel efficient, should be pretty darn reliable, and maintenance work should be cheap (not like my friggen $500 oil changes).
Old 10-08-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nick, I'm a little confused. You live in a gated community... has there been a history of break-ins or carjacking in your neighborhood?

It does sound like you're being a little paranoid.
Old 10-08-05, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Nick, I'm a little confused. You live in a gated community... has there been a history of break-ins or carjacking in your neighborhood?

It does sound like you're being a little paranoid.
You'd be surprised. A lot of those gated communities will randomly leave the gates open during the day or when a gate breaks.

It's also pretty easy to get into one of those communities. Most of those gates have a magnetically-triggered exit gate opener, so it's easy to steal a car and drive out.
Old 10-08-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matta
You'd be surprised. A lot of those gated communities will randomly leave the gates open during the day or when a gate breaks.

It's also pretty easy to get into one of those communities. Most of those gates have a magnetically-triggered exit gate opener, so it's easy to steal a car and drive out.
Yeah, but this is just one car out of dozens. No reason to believe his car would be specially targeted.
Old 10-08-05, 02:31 PM
Banned

Yeah, but this is just one car out of dozens. No reason to believe his car would be specially targeted.
I agree. I'm sure there are plenty of other targets around and it's just a matter of odds. What is the probability that a specific car will be stolen from a specific location on a specific night? I'm guessing pretty low, but I don't know where he lives.
Old 10-08-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

damn...i keep forgetting to get lojack on my car. but anyway, i wouldn't worry too much, because as mentioned before, it's insured for 30 days automatically.
Old 10-08-05, 02:58 PM

unless the crook reads DVDTalk OT
Old 10-08-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you had insurance on your previous car, you do have a grace period where you're covered by your insurance company. Do you have the Lakers window sticker on it yet? You better be keepin' it real!

Too bad you aren't in NoCal...I'll be in Monterey Sunday and San Jose the rest of the week.
Old 10-08-05, 04:18 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

No, I wouldn't put those on the car if someone gave them to me for free.
They're not known for being the "Please carjack this car" wheels for nothing.

Congrats on the new purchase. Fortunately or unfortunately, Civics last forever. I still have my 1988 DX hatch and it still runs in good condition.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.