Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it okay to not stop a shoplifter.....?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-07-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night I was at the market picking up some Ben & Jerry's for my wife when I saw a young (teen-age) girl drop two big cans of baby formula in diaper bag she was carrying in a corner of the store. At first I was shocked, I can't recall ever seeing someone shoplift in person, only on those dumb criminal shows. My first instinct was to inform someone at the store, but I guess I thought about it too much and felt sorry for her and her baby she was pushing along in a stroller. The store has cameras, and I would assume staff to man the monitors of said cameras, so I pushed the responsibility off on them by not doing anything. I still feel kinda torn over the decision to not do anything about it, so I thought I'd put it out there for the otters to get feedback.
Old 10-07-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You have no obligation to police the world.
Old 10-07-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You should have definitely told the management about this teenage girl --

Wait. What did she look like?
Old 10-07-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
You should have definitely told the management about this teenage girl --

Wait. What did she look like?
About 17 with braces, pajamas, ponytail and a baby and looked like she didn't have much money and a newborn infant.....
Old 10-07-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
About 17 with braces, pajamas, ponytail and a baby and looked like she didn't have much money and a newborn infant.....

Old 10-07-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Down boy!
Old 10-07-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having worked loss prevention before, I can tell you that the best thing to do is report it to someone who works there so they can observe her further. They probably won't take your word for it and do anything, because they can be sued for unlawful detainment if they pull her aside and it turns out she has nothing. So, your best thing to do is simply report it to someone and let them take it from there. Of course immediately screaming "HEY!! DID YOU JUST STEAL THOSE CANS?!!?" goes over good as well
Old 10-07-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What. Turn it over to another 17-yr old for investigation?
Old 10-07-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, we know she puts out, don't we now!
Old 10-07-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
You should have walked up to her and quietly said, "Hey, I saw you drop those cans in your bag. Do you need some money to help pay for that?"

And then if she gets all bitchy, yeah, turn her in. But give her a chance first to do the right thing.
Old 10-07-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, if I saw some dude stealing booze, or cds or something, I would totally point it out. But if it's something like a young, poor mother stealing baby formula or a loaf of bread, my heart breaks a little, and I'll look the other way.
Old 10-07-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody has mentioned yet, that the government will gladly fork over enough foodstamps for single teenage mother to buy baby formula.
Old 10-07-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
For me, if I saw some dude stealing booze, or cds or something, I would totally point it out. But if it's something like a young, poor mother stealing baby formula or a loaf of bread, my heart breaks a little, and I'll look the other way.
See - sadly, that's where I'm at even though neither "crime" is justified - I guess I've just caught myself up in a moral dilemma.
Old 10-07-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1 - You should have walked up to her and quietly said, "Hey, I saw you drop those cans in your bag. Do you need some money to help pay for that?"

2 - And then if she gets all bitchy, yeah, turn her in. But give her a chance first to do the right thing.
1 -

2 -
Old 10-07-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cliffzig
Nobody has mentioned yet, that the government will gladly fork over enough foodstamps for single teenage mother to buy baby formula.
Yeah, and we all know the Federal Government will give you enough to live comfortably......*not*
Old 10-07-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm with you...
Old 10-07-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
Old 10-07-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You should have at least told the manager. Or done nothing. Even people that work at those places aren't suppose to confront the shoplifter. They are to tell the manager. When I worked at walmart in high school I saw a kid take a DVD player and stuff it under his jacket. I stopped him without telling the manager first. And I got in trouble. So I never did anything about people stealing after that. Fuck em.
Old 10-07-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should have walked up to her and quietly said, "Say . . . I've got these coupons that will make it so they pay YOU to buy the formula!!"
Fixed.
Old 10-07-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by auto
True. Though of course eveyrone pays higher prices because the stores have to cover the cost of theft. This might be something you are willing to do becasue your heart breaks for the teenage mother (assuming its her kid and not her sister, etc), though it might be harder on the single mother who doesn't break the law and actually pays for her formula.
Old 10-07-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Next time tell her you won't turn her in if she also shoplifts a box of condoms.
Old 10-07-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Next time tell her you won't turn her in if she also shoplifts a box of condoms.
Old 10-07-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel bad that she doesn't have enough money to feed her baby, but that's just what it is, her's. It's not the store's responsibility to give her free food because she had a baby before she could take of it. And it's not fair to me that I have to absorb the cost of shoplifting. You should've thrown her baby into the meat slicer.
Old 10-07-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You should have walked up to her and quietly said, "Say . . . I've got these coupons that will make it so they pay YOU to buy the formula!!"
Originally Posted by talemyn
Fixed.
That is so, so true.
Old 10-07-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HONK!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.