Reload this Page >

NYC Increases Subway Security After Threat

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-06-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEW YORK - Authorities stepped up mass transit security Thursday after receiving a credible threat that the city's subway system could be the target of a terrorist attack in coming days.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said at a news conference the threat originated overseas. Bloomberg said it was the most specific threat New York officials had received to date. He said no one in New York has been arrested.

A law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the threat is "specific to place, time and method" and involves a bombing.

http://tinyurl.com/dcpfd

Two big games at Yankee Stadium this Fri. & Sat. too...
Old 10-06-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Shit
Old 10-06-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CNN also reporting this

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/06/new...ays/index.html
Old 10-06-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
have to re-scare people every couple months

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-06-05 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-06-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That would explain why my bag was searched 3 times tonight...Well, they got a nice whiff of my sweat ridden workout undies.
Old 10-06-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

luckily i only work in manhattan once a week or so
Old 10-06-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

luckily i left my job.

then again, i do have my farewell lunch tomorrow... but i'll be so plastered, it won't matter!
Old 10-06-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
As I was leaving today, this came up...just to quell some fears, what we were told seemed so implausable, that it must be a hoax.
Old 10-06-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikehunt
They get "specific threats" on a daily basis. The only reason for this is because of the OK incident. In a month, back to usual. Then at some point in the future when a group of terrorists have waited for things to calm down, they really do some damage. Then, everyone is back on alert, CNN and Fox News run their music videos of carnage and leaders again repeat the war on terror. Then, months after the incident, everything dies down. Security gets lax again. Security guards who were once trained during the crisis, are now 65-yr olds who need extra money to supplement their social checks.

And the cycle goes on. And on.
Old 10-06-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by mikehunt
They mobalized at work VERY quick on this, and are spending ALOT of money monitoring this...very expensive just to scare people.
Old 10-07-05, 06:54 AM
Banned

Have to say...this is a little more than the usual "scare" that I've seen.

Still haven't had my bag checked and I ALWAYS have my backpack on. Also haven't seen any cops checking bags. But I have seen a lot more cops around and more "things" happening. My commute home yesterday was a bitch and there was stuff going on underground in the subways. Could've totally been a coincidence but there was also a LOT less people on the subway last night. Seemed strange. But again, could've been a coincidence. We'll see.

This isn't the typical "threat." They don't usually make such a big deal out of these here.
Old 10-07-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But they do make a big deal out of a "typical" threat when we've had an "incident" such as the University of Oklahoma. You see, what we have is fail-safe politics. Don't do anything when there are valid threats and specific places as a common SOP, but when we have a precedent, regardless of the circumstances of the incident, as long as it gets out to the public, the threats are now amazingly taken seriously because heaven forbid something would actually go bad and there were previous "situations".

It's a bad way of doing things. But hey, we can't inconvenience Americans year-round, right.
Old 10-07-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, didnt see a whole lot of cops out early this morning...Its well known that terrorists like to sleep in on Fridays .
Old 10-07-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked the right time to visit NY apparently.
Old 10-07-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There was a police SUV with flashing lights parking at my subway station this morning, but I didn't see any actual cops. There seemed to be more people with guns at Grand Central.

I got to work early this morning, and my bus was on time. Therefore, I conclude that constant terrorist threats are the only way to get the MTA to run a professional transit system.
Old 10-07-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this was about the stores needing protection from asshole customers.

Seriously, I hope that the threat is neutralized and everything turns out okay.
Old 10-07-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Penn Station is closed for suspicious package. Poliuce and hazmat units are swarming. I'm heading there in 30 minutes. It was nice knowing you all!
Old 10-07-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Penn Station is closed for suspicious package. Poliuce and hazmat units are swarming. I'm heading there in 30 minutes. It was nice knowing you all!
If it's closed, why are you going?
Old 10-07-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night coming home, I noticed that there were all kinds of cop cars and survelance vans on my street next too my apt. building. Just dawned on me that this might have something to do with the fact that I live right across from a mosque in a section known as little Egypt.
Old 10-07-05, 01:55 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm so glad I moved out of NYC. My stress level is so much lower now. Good luck you guys. Keep your eyes open down there on the Subways. Go Yanks tonight!
Old 10-07-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Last night coming home, I noticed that there were all kinds of cop cars and survelance vans on my street next too my apt. building. Just dawned on me that this might have something to do with the fact that I live right across from a mosque in a section known as little Egypt.
there is an islamic school on the boulvard of death that I'll be driving by today. I'll see if there are any cop cars there
Old 10-07-05, 03:14 PM
Banned

My god. There was NO ONE on the subway platform i got on this morning/afternoon. People really are staying away.
Old 10-07-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they can search all they want....

it doesnt matter
Old 10-07-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tommy28
they can search all they want....

it doesnt matter
Why? Is the device hidden in your ass?
Old 10-07-05, 04:37 PM

So weird. All my subways have been absolutely packed since the announcement yesterday. Had a few co-workers mention their subways were empty, but definitely not mine. Also, I've never ever had my bag checked for some reason.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.