Reload this Page >

Headaches when I lay down.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-06-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a result, I have not slept well in several weeks. I go in to see the doctor next Friday. But until then, life seems to have a certain suck quality to it.

Does it sound like nerve pinch or something?

I am planning to ask for a CAT scan, and assuming that shows nothing, I will ask about a chiropractor. Never been to one before.

Old 10-06-05, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No wonder you're posting so late. Why not take some aspirin or better yet, get a prescription for some fun painkillers?
Old 10-06-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk God

First sign, I take 4 excedrin migraine. Rarely gets rid of it, but keeps it from getting uke: bad. If it gets real bad, we go for the shots.....and not tequila
Old 10-06-05, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Sorry to hear that Dave, been there. May I suggest you move up asking a chiropracter to the head of the line? The CAT scan is a good idea, but a chiropracter can do some diagnostics and can actually help you right away. I used to think they were quacks, but after a car accident a few years ago (whereupon my regular doctor could only offer painpills for the really awful headaches), I'm a believer now.

In the meantime, I'll for ya... hope you feel better. You HAVE to get better by November 5th, so you can drive to Portland for the meet!
Old 10-06-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Been playing the didgeridoo too much again?
Old 10-06-05, 07:35 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Chiropractors did squat for my consistent pain. went to about 3 different ones. They had no clue, they just basically tried everything they could think of to see if it would work. Go to a doctor first.
Old 10-06-05, 08:16 AM

I agree with the posters that say "Go to a real doctor first."

Then you can go to the chiropractors, accupunturists, shamans, mystics, physics, whatever.
Old 10-06-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
It only starts when you lay down? Even if you just lie on the couch for a few minutes? It could indicate a vascular problem rather than a nerve related one. When your body is horizontal the bloodflow to your brain increases momentarily, and it takes a few minutes for your vessels to react and contract slightly. Are you a migraine sufferer?

On the chiro side-topic: my GP referred me to seek a chiropractor, who fixed my chronic back/rib pain (nerve pinched). This was several years ago and that particular pain has not recurred. When choosing a chiropractor, I polled the UPS, FedEx, USPS guys and the few local athletes I knew and they all recommended the same guy. Thanks Doctor Dunn! So go to your doctor first, but let him know you are open to alternatives like chiropractic. If he can't find something conventionally treatable, he might refer you.
Old 10-06-05, 09:23 AM

I can't believe I mispelled "PSYCHICS" as "PHYSICS."
Old 10-06-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried Naproxen Sodium (Aleve in the regular grocery stores) instead of regular aspirin?
Old 10-06-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
When choosing a chiropractor, I polled the UPS, FedEx, USPS guys and the few local athletes I knew...
You are a wise man. I have yet to visit one, but word of mouth seems to be worth more than its weight in gold in looking for someone of this sort. The last place you should look for ideas of who to call is bus benches, billboards, and the largest ad in the yellow pages.
Old 10-06-05, 09:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

went thru a long period of mystery headpain that was three times as bad when i would lay down. after weeks of misery, a cat scan to look for a tumor, a trip to the e.r. for a pain shot, it was discovered that i had an infected tooth. the tooth itself didn't hurt, but it was causing pain to shoot up a nerve on the right side of my face and back across the side of my head. once the tooth was medicated by a dentist, the pain was gone.
Old 10-06-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I am planning to ask for a CAT scan, and assuming that shows nothing, I will ask about a chiropractor. Never been to one before.
Chiropractor's scare the hell out of me. My ex went to see one, and the guy has this "air gun" sort of thing, that he used against my ex's head and neck. It ended up giving him Bell's Palsy. (Which if you don't know, causes you to lose control of the muscles on 1 half of your face for a number of weeks.)
Old 10-06-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
On the chiro side-topic: my GP referred me to seek a chiropractor, who fixed my chronic back/rib pain (nerve pinched). This was several years ago and that particular pain has not recurred. When choosing a chiropractor, I polled the UPS, FedEx, USPS guys and the few local athletes I knew and they all recommended the same guy. Thanks Doctor Dunn! So go to your doctor first, but let him know you are open to alternatives like chiropractic. If he can't find something conventionally treatable, he might refer you.
My doctor referred me to my chiropractor as well and he has done (and continues to do) a great job at keeping me in working order. He also happens to be the team chiropractor for the Carolina Panthers, which bumped him up a number of notches on my "trustiworthiness" scale.
Old 10-06-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Chiropractor's scare the hell out of me. My ex went to see one, and the guy has this "air gun" sort of thing, that he used against my ex's head and neck. It ended up giving him Bell's Palsy. (Which if you don't know, causes you to lose control of the muscles on 1 half of your face for a number of weeks.)
Finding a chiropractor is a thing that requires a good bit of research. If you find one that knows what they are doing, you'd be amazed at what they can help you with. But, if you go to one who doesn't know what their doing, they can REALLY screw things up. Definitely "shop around" and get peoples opinions.

But think of it this way . . . if it had been a doctor who did the thing with the air gun, would you have given upon seeing doctors or would you have assumed he was just a bad doctor and found one who knew what they were doing?
Old 10-06-05, 10:48 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Id say its easier to find a bad chiropractor than a bad doctor.
Old 10-06-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Id say its easier to find a bad chiropractor than a bad doctor.
So far I'm batting a thousand on both . . .