Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Check your credit card statements (mid to late September)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-05-05, 11:51 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couldn't find if this is a repost but i don't think it matters as this involves money and fraud.

check your statements for September. I have (most like fraudulent) charges for:
global-online.biz - $5.00
Digital Age - $24.99

hope that helps someone.
that is all.
Old 10-06-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So how did they charge you and who are they and why should I be worried? Is there a credit card charge virus being spread through the forum, or is there something I'm missing?

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 10-06-05 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-06-05, 12:36 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

not sure exactly how but it might be due to an Amazon.com database hack.

This is what i've come up with so far: http://blog.thebalrogslair.com/archives/133

the page above starts with describing a $9.95 charge but the later comments discuss a $24.99 charge from Digital Age (including the same 888-529... reference number).

The global-online.biz charge i have not found other complaints about yet but i know i don't charge anything for $5.00 (and i have never been to their site).
Old 10-06-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you report it? Should be simple enough to track down.
Old 10-06-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also beware of scamming cab drivers. I had my card stolen sunday morning. So if you see a guy in a yellow cab.....watch out!!
Old 10-06-05, 12:50 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Did you report it? Should be simple enough to track down.
yeah, reported (actually, have to re-report tomorrow as claims dept. is closed). more of a heads-up for everyone else.
Old 10-06-05, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably do a full reconciliation of my accounts tonight just to make sure.
Old 10-06-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point, the message should probably be "Check your credit card statements (every month)".
Old 10-06-05, 09:57 AM

not sure exactly how but it might be due to an Amazon.com database hack.

This is what i've come up with so far: http://blog.thebalrogslair.com/archives/133
I see a lot of speculation but I didn't see anything about amazon.com being hacked (although I didn't do an extensive search so maybe I overlooked it). On a related note though I did have a fraudulent charge on my Amazon card, they called me for verification [someone was trying to order a $2500+ item from an online housewares store]. I had to do the whole swap the card out thing, which was a hassle, and now I have a new number to memorize

BTW regarding the blog link something that really gets to me is people that confuse CC fraud abuse w/ ID theft. CC abuse/number stealing has been around for awhile and is relatively easy to handle now. ID theft is the process of trying to open new credit cards, take out new loans, get "valid" IDs as another person and is a huge PITA to clear up.

Last edited by nemein; 10-06-05 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-06-05, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
At this point, the message should probably be "Check your credit card statements (every month)".
If you aren't doing this you pretty much deserve what you get IMHO.
Old 10-06-05, 10:23 AM

For the global-online.biz, you sure you didn't buy a $5.00 e-book from www.global-online.biz?

The Digital Age charge seems to be a widespread credit card scam. There are lots of reports about this charge showing up on people's credit cards. Check out the postings over at DSL Reports and at 419eater . At any rate, you should definitely have your card canceled and get a new one issued.
Old 10-06-05, 10:48 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by primalurg
For the global-online.biz, you sure you didn't buy a $5.00 e-book from www.global-online.biz?

The Digital Age charge seems to be a widespread credit card scam. There are lots of reports about this charge showing up on people's credit cards. Check out the postings over at DSL Reports and at 419eater . At any rate, you should definitely have your card canceled and get a new one issued.
for the global-online, i'm positive because i've never bought an ebook from anywhere.

as for being diligent and checking statements regularly, i decided to post this one as it seems to be pretty widespread for the exact merchant/charge/timeframe (the Digital Age one). thought i'd just make it easier for you to spot.