Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I Really need change banks

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-05-05, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bank has misplaced my last deposit. They have spent all of yesterday and most of today trying to find it (so far). I've even faxed them my deposit receipt at their request and they still can't figure out where it went. Meanwhile, checks are posting and overdraft fees are racking up. They assure me that this will be refunded and it will all be taken care of, but this is not the first time I've had a problem. A couple of weeks ago, they posted one of my "Billpay" items a day early. They made good and refunded the overdraft charges for that, but I've had enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I thought about posting this in the Store Forum but wasn't sure.
Old 10-05-05, 03:36 PM

Consider a credit union!
Old 10-05-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

dont live paycheck to paycheck?

sorry i am not of more help.
Old 10-05-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The problem is you're thinking too small. Look into paper money, as well.
Old 10-05-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd definitely second the credit union, if you're eligible. Ours cost 1.00 to 'join', we have to keep 5 bucks in savings at all times, and that's about it. Unlimited checking, unlimited no-fee ATM, bank by 'net and phone, discounted movie tickets available, a coin counter, free debit card, and they have a thing where if you really 'bounce' something, they'll pay it and just charge you 25 bucks, rather than the retailer getting a bad check.
The only downsides to ours: I dont know if any of the branches have drive throughs, and they don't have safe-deposit boxes. But other than that, they've been very good.
Old 10-05-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you use your own deposit slip or request a counter deposit slip?
Old 10-05-05, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I'd definitely second the credit union, if you're eligible. Ours cost 1.00 to 'join', we have to keep 5 bucks in savings at all times, and that's about it. Unlimited checking, unlimited no-fee ATM, bank by 'net and phone, discounted movie tickets available, a coin counter, free debit card, and they have a thing where if you really 'bounce' something, they'll pay it and just charge you 25 bucks, rather than the retailer getting a bad check.
Geez, do they go down on you as well?
Old 10-05-05, 05:37 PM

Credit Union, huh? I'll look in to it. Thanks for the tip.

It was a counter deposit slip, not one of mine.
Old 10-05-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Holysmoker
It was a counter deposit slip, not one of mine.
Dude, there is your problem right there.

First off, and this is not just to you, but to anybody who relies on counter deposit slips, GET YOUR OWN BOX. I work in a bank and any issue with a missing deposit can always be traced to a counter deposit ticket. You want to change banks? Well, if you use a counter deposit ticket at a credit union, you're just as prone to get your deposit lost. Not only is it annoying to have to wait for unprepared customers, you are relying for your deposit slip to be encoded on the spot. If you order your own deposit slips, you can verify the encoding on the bottom and know they are right everytime.

I would ask a personal banker or the branch manager if there is a "Non Post Account" where misencoded items go to. Instead of them using your receipt to research the account number, ask them to research the item by the amount. If they use images for everything, they should find it pretty quickly if they look by amount for that day instead of account number. I guarantee you the teller transposed a number on your deposit slip, it ended up in a non post account and it's likely that if the deposit slip wasn't completely filled out (Did you put your NAME and ADDRESS on there in clear legible printing??) they may not know where the money is supposed to go and are waiting for a dispute claim to come in.

Good luck! I hope you get your money soon, and be sure to order some extra deposit slips! You never know, your account might let you get them for free. It never hurts to ask. Just stop using counter deposit slips!
Old 10-05-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been making deposits at my credit union without "deposit slips" for years and never had a problem.

I would *NEVER* use a normal bank again after being with a good credit union, what dtcarson said is true, they do just about everything BUT go down on me

I can also cancel a check for $6

Not sure how you go about joining one, mine is work related and I can sign any family member up, but as for the general public, I have no clue how/if they can join.
Old 10-05-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Direct deposit?
Old 10-05-05, 07:46 PM
Political Exile

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about those counter slips. I used to encode them, and if you couldn't read the people's atrocious handwriting there was usually a stamp on the back with the person's account number. If even that was not visible, it was flagged and sent to corrections to be researched.
Old 10-05-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
if you have a receipt they put it into the computer so what's the issue?
I could see them firing the teller for losing the paperwork you turned in but it shouldn't affect your account at all
Old 10-05-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I wouldn't worry too much about those counter slips. I used to encode them, and if you couldn't read the people's atrocious handwriting there was usually a stamp on the back with the person's account number. If even that was not visible, it was flagged and sent to corrections to be researched.
Which delays the posting of the credit, and may incur over draft fees on the acct.

The errors that may occur with counter deposit slips are small. If you want to take that gamble, go ahead, but don't act too surprised if somebody accidently encodes it wrong. Mistakes happen, and all I am saying you eliminate the potential for that specific error if you just use your own pre printed deposit slips.
Old 10-05-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
if you have a receipt they put it into the computer so what's the issue?
I could see them firing the teller for losing the paperwork you turned in but it shouldn't affect your account at all
If they are researching it by account number, they will find nothing in their research files, as that account number never posted. If his account number was 123456 and a teller encoded the slip for 123465, they have no actual way of knowing that, and if they search for accoun number 123456 then they won't find any results as that account number never posted with the rest of the work that day. If they have a receipt, they should be searching for that amount and any deposit tran codes only, not the account number, and see what comes up in their images.

In the end, the bank will take care of you. Whether you should use your own slips or trust the counter slips is your judgment call, but in the end it's the teller's responsibility to double check that number. If I have to encode something at the bank, I do it while the customer is there, and after I am done encoding it, that is the number I type into the computer, to make sure I encoded it right. However, most people I see want to "save time" so they encode it after the customer leaves and if they transpose a number, they don't bother checking the account number after they encoded it and just send it on down, assuming they encoded it right. But the bank won't say, "Tough luck, you should have used your own slip." The teller will probably have the error brought to their attention and expected to not let it happen again, and the bank will take care of the customer. In the interim time, it's a pain in the ass.

Maybe less than 2% come back as errors unable to post, if that. Most teller errors of transposed numbers will happen with new tellers, but from time to time, everybody may screw up. The trick is to find your mistake before you send the work down and it's not a problem.

And I doubt the teller would get fired. Assuming it was encoded right, I highly doubt it was the teller who lost anything. I'd be looking in proof for lost deposit slips before I'd be checking the teller station.
Old 10-05-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
dont live paycheck to paycheck?

sorry i am not of more help.
You so spacey.
Old 10-08-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, Holysmoker, did your bank find the error yet?
Old 10-08-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just about every bank out there should be able to give you change.
Old 10-09-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also agree with a credit union, but go with a smaller one if possible. I used to be a member of a very large credit union. It was worse than a bank. If you cant find a good CU in your area, maybe look at Washington Mutual. I banked there for many years (had to leave them when I moved, no branches within 250 miles ). I loved the service, no fee checking, although overdraft fees were high (but then again, what bank isnt).
Old 10-09-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
The only downsides to ours: I dont know if any of the branches have drive throughs, and they don't have safe-deposit boxes. But other than that, they've been very good.
$25 overdraft fee damn my credit union charges $3 and transfer it from savings.