Reload this Page >

* * * OMG LOOK AT THIS TOY COLLECTION !!! should i buy? * * *

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-05-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(mods, i didnt know if this was in the best sub-category, there isnt really a toy forum category. Mods ,Feel free to move somewhere else if you feel its more important.

Cliff notes version - Bolded.

As some of you know, i sell stuff on ebay. So obviously that means that from time to time I go out and about and buy a box or two of this, and a box or two of that. You know, nothing too crazy. I might spend 300-500 on a trip. Perhaps ive filled up my car once or twice with some record collection. You know, make a little profit here or there . . .

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would stumble onto the type of unplundered Monstrous GOLDMINE that I did today.

I went to a gentlemans house today, near atlanta. Observing the outside of his house, it was wretched, and dilapidated. The yard had not been cut in months. The house was in dismal state of repair. It was borderline ghetto.

I opened the front door to be confronted with the indisguishable smell of stale cat urine and cigarette smoke, and mold. It was dark, and ugly. And depressing. Someone was swearing at a dog in another room.

Usually when you go into someones house, they have furniture- . . .

this guy had every room of his house PACKED with boxes and boxes of collectibles star wars, transformers, and GI JOE toys. There was no bed, he slept on a makeshift couch. The toys . . . there were THOUSANDS. There were boxes and bags, and stacks, and piles. Mint stuff, crappy stuff, loose, still in the box, hanging on the wall, on the ceiling, in the bathroom, on his fridge, on top of his washer/dryer . . . it was insane. Every single solitary square inch of open space was occupied by some little knick knack or toy. This is a very unique phenomenon with people that I have noticed that have OCD and Hoarding disorder. My grandfather had it real bad. Its bizarre, yet sad really. You just cant imagine all the stuff...there were little tiny walkways between these giant heaving piles of unplundered goodness.

I distinctly remember one uncomfortable moment when we were about to go into one room,and he turned to me and said, "ahhh, this . . . . is the abyss"

I felt like I had stepped into the lair of a monster. Perhaps a serial killer, or a completely unstable person. There was trash everywhere. The carpet reaked of cat piss. There were piles of dirty clothes mixed in with the collectibles that clearly had not been touched in months or years. If you took a toy stores stockroom, and literally turned the building upside down and shook it - this is what it would look like inside. There were THOUSANDS of comics everywhere. Piles, boxes, bags, lots, groups, and stacks -

Inside each of these rooms were hundreds and hundreds of boxes of toys. One room had so much stuff in it, that there wasnt even the little walkway to get through it, I could only stare in wonder. I tingled with pure excitement as i fantasized about ebaying every single thing in this persons house. I looked through about 5-10 % of the boxes, all of them packed with all kinds of old rare star wars and gi joe figures.

So, then i asked, "ok, how much for every single solitary thing in your house" And he said, $10,000. I thought about it for a bit, and then said, Ill offer you 9. He accepted. I felt as if i had just jumped over a cliff and was wondering whether or not i had a parachute.

I took some pictures. (see below) (sorry they are kinda big)

What do you think? Am i insane? Should I do it? I would have to get a loan from the bank, and rent a truck, . .. but, the return potential is absolutely enormous. I can only guess what the collection is really worth, 20, 30, 40 thousand. . . . I would have to rent a storage unit as well, as all of this stuff would completely overfill my 2 bedroom condo.

Thats the problem really, and the thing thats holding me back. I really just cant quite make a careful enough cost analysis, and examine enough of the inventory to make sure im making a good investment. But then again, that kinda makes it exciting! Its a gamble and a risk, but god only knows what kinds of golden gems lurk deep within this persons HOARDE of stuff. The pictures do not do it justice, believe me.

What would you do? It seems like it could be worth a LOT, but I just simply feel scared to make that big of a purchase. Its like buying a mystery lot, but ive seen enough of it to know that there are thousands and thousands of old out of print vintage collectibles in there! Oh, did i mention there are about 300 dvds in there, a guitar, 2 guns, swords and various electronics, cell phones, cameras, Rare comic paperback and hardback graphic novels, books of all sorts etc..

Ok here are the pictures. 56k and dialup people, turn back now-

COMMENTS PLEASE!

Old 10-05-05, 02:13 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a friend of mine bought something similar and is still sitting on it, its an enormous lot of baseball cards and memorabilia that at first looked great but is now a huge burden around his neck

He's selling it reluctantly if you are interested
Old 10-05-05, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It could be a good deal. It all depends though, some of the more common figures can be a hard sell on Ebay. I guess it all depends on how rare the stuff he has is.
Old 10-05-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dude, follow your dream. You should get that heap if that's what you want, and you have the $$$. Especially if it comes with that old-ass pizza in the 6th picture, it's " True NY style , not to mention, The pizza that started it all ".

Last edited by SPiRAL; 10-05-05 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that is something that concerns me - due to the unimaginable amount of stuff here, i am worried that i might get burned out, or it might not sell as great as i had hoped, and half way into it i will realize what a bad hole I just dug for myself.

I cant tell if im diggin my grave, or hitting the Lottery. PLEASE HELP ME. If you think i should go for it, or if you think im on crack and need to realize how rediculous this is, please say so.
Old 10-05-05, 02:18 AM

If you're going to do it, do it soon. Even hermits have family or fellow hermit friends, when he tells people about his $9k offer someone may step up with more money, and actually have it in hand.

My only question about eBaying is the time involved. I'd offer great deals on combined shipping to encourage people to buy more from you. Packaging and labeling one box for every item will probably take more time than it will to move it all.

Two things I'd do:
1. Skip the guns, unless you're familiar with local laws. Skip the couch, too.
2. Don't contact him after you get everything. If it turns out he changes his mind, wants a few things back, whatever, make him rely on his records to get in contact with you. Judging from his stack of pizza boxes, I'm guess your number is already lost.

Personal note: That couch/bed thing is nasty. On beds, you have sheets you can wash. I don't want to think about the hot nights on that couch, but I did, so now you think about it, too.

Last edited by CPT; 10-05-05 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Dude, follow your dream. You should get that heap if that's what you want, and you have the $$$. Especially if it comes with that old-ass pizza in the 6th picture.

I do not have $9000 laying around. I have $40k + saved in a mutual fund, but im not touching that.

So, i would have to secure a loan from the bank. Thats not something that Im too thrilled about.
Old 10-05-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i suddenly feel very dirty... and not in a good way.
Old 10-05-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you decide not to get it tell him that you couldn't come up with all of the money. Then give him a lowball offer like 5 or 6K. He might except it right away or call you later about it if he needs the money bad enough. You could get lucky.
Old 10-05-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Puzznic
If you decide not to get it tell him that you couldn't come up with all of the money. Then give him a lowball offer like 5 or 6K. He might except it right away or call you later about it if he needs the money bad enough. You could get lucky.

I feel that, due to my excitement and adrenaline rush, i just offered way too much money on my initial offer. I am sure that its worth more than what i offered, but irregardless, i think i could have gotten the identical reponse from him if i had said 6, instead of 9 thousand.

When i made my initial offer to him, he sat there for about 30 seconds staring down at the floor, then he looked at me and said, with a desperate look, "well, i cant really afford to say no"

But then again, 9 might even be a lowball offer, I meant there are thousands and thousands of items in each room, and its 4-5 rooms, so i dont know.
Old 10-05-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure. If you get tired of ebay, go to craigslist. Give some as gifts to other people who like that stuff.

What made this guy want to get rid of everything? I wouldn't think packrats like that would just quit.
Old 10-05-05, 02:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
The dude has Metroplex. Do it.
Old 10-05-05, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp

What made this guy want to get rid of everything? I wouldn't think packrats like that would just quit.

hes got a lot of credit card debt and a busted car. and owes people a lot of money. i suspect drug addiction, he just looked really strung out.
Old 10-05-05, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know much about which figures are good and which ones aren't. You need to bring a Star Wars fanatic with you that what sells. For starters you could subtract what you know is worth alot and sells easily from your total purchase price. Like the 300 DVDs, you know you can get between 500 to a thousand right there depending on what they are. See what you are actually paying for the figures and collectible and decide if the risk is worth it to you. I think the worst case scenario would be breaking even.
Old 10-05-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow...that guy has alot of stuff...or actually you now have alot of stuff. Although it would be cool to just have all of that, I don't envy you having to try to sort through it all.
Old 10-05-05, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure what you should do in this situation, but I do feel bad for the guy. I can't imagine being so addicted to something like that that the rest of your life just falls apart. Going into massive amounts of debt for all this crap? It's just kinda sad. Good luck on your shmorgusborg though... I know, I'm sure I butchered that spelling...

By the way, you might want to handle all that stuff with some kinda protective gear. I mean, who knows what you're gonna find in there. You mentioned cat piss. Hopefully you don't come across splooge, dead bodies, and/ or leftover pizza toppings...

Last edited by Anubis2005X; 10-05-05 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 02:56 AM

Is this included?
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Old 10-05-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Corleone
Is this included?
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

sorry but i cant read that what that says on that bottle. what does it say ?

I doubt his personal medications are included. But pretty much everything not nailed down, with a very short list of exceptions, is fair game.
Old 10-05-05, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by skiblet
sorry but i cant read that what that says on that bottle. what does it say ?

I doubt his personal medications are included. But pretty much everything not nailed down, with a very short list of exceptions, is fair game.
Stool Softener...
Old 10-05-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

heck yea, i hope so.
Old 10-05-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The most daunting logistical challenge of all is:

Where in the hell am I going to put all that stuff? I cant just cram all that shit into my condo living room. I would basically have no choice but to go and rent some type of building, or storage unit.

And i could bring over lots at a time, like a weeks worth of auctions.

I also kind of wanted to open a collectibles store, but i figure the exposure to a real store would be no match for an ebay store and ebay auctions.

Another logistical nightmare would be shipping all those big items. Some of that stuff is huge which means the box will be even more huge -

<sigh>
Old 10-05-05, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of that Star Wars merchandise is the newer stuff, things that
practically every toy/comic dealer has crates and crates of in their
basements/stockrooms (like this guy has, only neater .

Some of it doesn't look all that clean either... Check out the Burger
King cup on the washer/dryer(probably where the mold you mention
came from). And on that topic, this line concerns me the most, "I
opened the front door to be confronted with the indisguishable smell
of stale cat urine and cigarette smoke, and mold." If that smell has
gotten into the packaging of the toys (very porous recycled
cardboard) you'll have a hard time airing them out (if you even can).

It also doesn't look like he has the assortment that a quick glance may
lead you to believe (I'm only going by the photos posted though, having
been there you may have seen a lot more variety), as he has multiples
and then some of almost everything shown.

The Empire Strikes Back Style B 1 sheet movie poster (about the oldest
Star Wars item I saw in the pics by far, and 1 of only 3 things I saw as
far as classic items... the other 2 being the new Death Star battle and
Battle on Endor glossy photo stock posters) appears to have a large
tear through it.

To the comment by Spiral, those pizza boxes are the Episode 1 boxes.
They came in 10 or so styles and sizes.

Going by the photos I don't think I'd go for it.

Last edited by Brooklyn; 10-05-05 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can anybody else find the kitty?
Old 10-05-05, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need more pics to make a wise post.

P.S. This guy wouldn't by chance be shipping all this stuff from, say Louisiana, would he?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-05-05 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Can anybody else find the kitty?
Too easy. He's in

Spoiler space

photo 7 under the small coffee table.
What'd I win

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.