Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Cow Milk Beats Breast Milk For Healthy Teeth

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Cow Milk Beats Breast Milk For Healthy Teeth

Old 10-04-05, 07:16 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as (ahem) "LASERMOVIES"/California
Posts: 9,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cow Milk Beats Breast Milk For Healthy Teeth

I thought this was news everyone would want to know.


http://www.10news.com/health/5051349...210042005&ts=H

Cow Milk Beats Breast Milk For Healthy Teeth, Study Says
Researchers Say Breast-Feeding Still Best


POSTED: 11:33 am PDT October 3, 2005

Experts have long hailed breast-feeding as the healthiest feeding method for newborns. However, not all the news is good news.

New research in rats suggests that breast milk causes more cavities in infants and toddlers than cow milk.

Researchers from the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, N.Y., also found that cola, sucrose and honey were by far the worst fluids for young teeth. Their findings are published in the October issue of the journal Pediatrics.

The study warns parents to stop letting babies drink sugary liquids from bottles, or to sweeten water with honey, which has been promoted as good for dental health, or to let babies fall asleep on the nipple.

Despite the findings, the researchers don't advocate switching from breast-feeding to cow milk. Instead, they said nursing mothers need to help their young ones have good oral hygiene after feedings, especially when the infant's first teeth have begun to emerge.

"In families where cavities are prevalent, there's also an urgent need to avoid feeding all night once the teeth have erupted," said Dr. Ruth Lawrence, author of "Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession," and professor at the university.

The findings confirm previous research showing that human milk is no worse for teeth than many infant formulas.

Scientists suggest that the cavity-causing difference between human milk and cow milk may be the mineral content in human milk.
Old 10-04-05, 08:03 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Update: BACK
Posts: 2,642
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cows milk is for cows
Old 10-04-05, 08:21 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
cows milk is for cows
And apparently for human teeth!
Old 10-04-05, 08:22 PM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is a bs study since when a baby breastfeeds, the nipple points to the back of the throat and doesn't even get on the teeth.

I'm sure this study was probably funded by formula companies.
Old 10-04-05, 08:22 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
cows milk is for cows
Just like cow meat.
Old 10-04-05, 08:25 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,264
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe so but I'm not sucing on a cow's tits
Old 10-04-05, 08:26 PM
  #7  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
And apparently for human teeth!
Rat teeth, to be specific.
Old 10-04-05, 08:27 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Researchers from the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, N.Y., also found that cola, sucrose and honey were by far the worst fluids for young teeth.
I wonder how far down that list battery acid placed.
Old 10-04-05, 08:44 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Inyurvyj, Eina
Posts: 4,405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Just like cow meat.
Meat is meat, and meat is for carnivores. I don't see any other species drinking other species milk. Hell, for that matter I don't see any other species drinking any milk after infancy.....probably because they naturally evolved to deject it through lactose "intolerance". I wonder why...

You couldn't get me to start drinking milk again with the promise of a lifetime of perfect teeth. The dairy industry sure has an effective PR machine.
Old 10-04-05, 09:13 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tha_dvd_man
Meat is meat, and meat is for carnivores. I don't see any other species drinking other species milk. Hell, for that matter I don't see any other species drinking any milk after infancy.....probably because they naturally evolved to deject it through lactose "intolerance". I wonder why...

You couldn't get me to start drinking milk again with the promise of a lifetime of perfect teeth. The dairy industry sure has an effective PR machine.
Human do a lot of things animals don't. We're also the only other species that cooks our meat, for instance. What's your point?
Old 10-04-05, 09:54 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,614
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He's trying to put blame on Bush The Moo-Moo Industry! Damn Dairymen!
Old 10-04-05, 11:10 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,061
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tha_dvd_man
I don't see any other species drinking other species milk. Hell, for that matter I don't see any other species drinking any milk after infancy.....probably because they naturally evolved to deject it through lactose "intolerance". I wonder why...
That's mostly because they don't have hands to milk cows. My cats LOVE milk, and make a fuss and beg every time they see the milk bottle. Thhey go nuts. My dog liked a saucer of milk too. So, there's individuals from two species.
Old 10-04-05, 11:15 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tha_dvd_man
Meat is meat, and meat is for carnivores. I don't see any other species drinking other species milk. Hell, for that matter I don't see any other species drinking any milk after infancy.....probably because they naturally evolved to deject it through lactose "intolerance". I wonder why...
Probably because they can't. I don't see them driving cars either, but I don't think that is good rationale that we should stop. Aside from that, I don't see them planting gardens, either.

Being the top of the food chain has its advantages.
Old 10-05-05, 10:47 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,017
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering honey can be extremely dangerous to infants and toddlers, I'm questioning a lot about this study. It shouldn't even have been part of the discussion.
Old 10-05-05, 11:40 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrauss
Considering honey can be extremely dangerous to infants and toddlers, I'm questioning a lot about this study. It shouldn't even have been part of the discussion.
Children aged 1 year and older can have honey. It can probably be eaten earlier without a problem, but this is generally considered the safe age.

Children are often bottle-fed and breast-fed after the age of 1.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.