Reload this Page >

Cow Milk Beats Breast Milk For Healthy Teeth

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-04-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was news everyone would want to know.

http://www.10news.com/health/5051349...210042005&ts=H

Cow Milk Beats Breast Milk For Healthy Teeth, Study Says
Researchers Say Breast-Feeding Still Best

POSTED: 11:33 am PDT October 3, 2005

Experts have long hailed breast-feeding as the healthiest feeding method for newborns. However, not all the news is good news.

New research in rats suggests that breast milk causes more cavities in infants and toddlers than cow milk.

Researchers from the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, N.Y., also found that cola, sucrose and honey were by far the worst fluids for young teeth. Their findings are published in the October issue of the journal Pediatrics.

The study warns parents to stop letting babies drink sugary liquids from bottles, or to sweeten water with honey, which has been promoted as good for dental health, or to let babies fall asleep on the nipple.

Despite the findings, the researchers don't advocate switching from breast-feeding to cow milk. Instead, they said nursing mothers need to help their young ones have good oral hygiene after feedings, especially when the infant's first teeth have begun to emerge.

"In families where cavities are prevalent, there's also an urgent need to avoid feeding all night once the teeth have erupted," said Dr. Ruth Lawrence, author of "Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession," and professor at the university.

The findings confirm previous research showing that human milk is no worse for teeth than many infant formulas.

Scientists suggest that the cavity-causing difference between human milk and cow milk may be the mineral content in human milk.
Old 10-04-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cows milk is for cows
Old 10-04-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by naitram
cows milk is for cows
And apparently for human teeth!
Old 10-04-05, 08:22 PM

Which is a bs study since when a baby breastfeeds, the nipple points to the back of the throat and doesn't even get on the teeth.

I'm sure this study was probably funded by formula companies.
Old 10-04-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by naitram
cows milk is for cows
Just like cow meat.
Old 10-04-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe so but I'm not sucing on a cow's tits
Old 10-04-05, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
And apparently for human teeth!
Rat teeth, to be specific.
Old 10-04-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Researchers from the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, N.Y., also found that cola, sucrose and honey were by far the worst fluids for young teeth.
I wonder how far down that list battery acid placed.
Old 10-04-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Just like cow meat.
Meat is meat, and meat is for carnivores. I don't see any other species drinking other species milk. Hell, for that matter I don't see any other species drinking any milk after infancy.....probably because they naturally evolved to deject it through lactose "intolerance". I wonder why...

You couldn't get me to start drinking milk again with the promise of a lifetime of perfect teeth. The dairy industry sure has an effective PR machine.
Old 10-04-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tha_dvd_man
Meat is meat, and meat is for carnivores. I don't see any other species drinking other species milk. Hell, for that matter I don't see any other species drinking any milk after infancy.....probably because they naturally evolved to deject it through lactose "intolerance". I wonder why...

You couldn't get me to start drinking milk again with the promise of a lifetime of perfect teeth. The dairy industry sure has an effective PR machine.
Human do a lot of things animals don't. We're also the only other species that cooks our meat, for instance. What's your point?
Old 10-04-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He's trying to put blame on Bush The Moo-Moo Industry! Damn Dairymen!
Old 10-04-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see any other species drinking other species milk. Hell, for that matter I don't see any other species drinking any milk after infancy.....probably because they naturally evolved to deject it through lactose "intolerance". I wonder why...
That's mostly because they don't have hands to milk cows. My cats LOVE milk, and make a fuss and beg every time they see the milk bottle. Thhey go nuts. My dog liked a saucer of milk too. So, there's individuals from two species.
Old 10-04-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Probably because they can't. I don't see them driving cars either, but I don't think that is good rationale that we should stop. Aside from that, I don't see them planting gardens, either.

Being the top of the food chain has its advantages.
Old 10-05-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Considering honey can be extremely dangerous to infants and toddlers, I'm questioning a lot about this study. It shouldn't even have been part of the discussion.
Old 10-05-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Considering honey can be extremely dangerous to infants and toddlers, I'm questioning a lot about this study. It shouldn't even have been part of the discussion.
Children aged 1 year and older can have honey. It can probably be eaten earlier without a problem, but this is generally considered the safe age.

Children are often bottle-fed and breast-fed after the age of 1.