Reload this Page >

Know any sincerely kind people?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-03-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what I'd do if there weren't some sincerely kind folks out there!

...'cause if your not careful, life can become a Twilight Zone!

When I find myself in a sea of idiots (myself included), there's nothing more refreshing than seeing a smiling face and receiving a kindness right when you think you're falling off the deep end.

I was driving around the city a few days ago and I was at my wits end. I should have known better than to let myself get to that point, but there I was, neck deep in inconsiderate types, and so I stopped at Ralphs (that's a Supermarket chain out here in Los Angeles, for those of you that may not know) to pick up something to eat, then, in my peripheral vision I saw a hand waving way up high in the air, and it was a little guy that works there, trying to get my attention, just to say a neighborly, "Hello".

Well, let me tell ya, it was like cool water being poured out on dry land! Then, it was like a chain reaction! There were people coming out of the woodwork, smiling & saying hi to me. I started to think I was on Candid Camera or something, but it was just your everyday people, being kind, for kindness sake.

If there's anything I've learned in life, it's not to despise the little things.

Sometimes, it all you need.

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-03-05 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-03-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know one truly, honestly kind person. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. Though I wish she'd grow one and get rid of her loser husband who treats her like crap.
Old 10-03-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Move on down to the Southeast . . . they're everywhere!!
Old 10-03-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was hatched outta New Iberia, Louisiana (way back in 1956) so I know all about the HOW-DEE's.

It's refreshing to experience that wherever I go.
Old 10-03-05, 03:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a little about one of my best friends, a guy who sadly passed a couple of months ago. Some of these things I didn't learn about him until his funeral:

- Every year he took his neighbor and bought him a Christmas tree, because my friend had money and a truck, and his neighbor had neither.

- When he was around 12 years old (this would have been about 1962 or so) he quit both his church and the Boy Scouts, because he found out neither would let black people in. "I thought that was what you were supposed to be against", was his statement to both.

- As an adult he was diagnosed as dyslexic, whereas before he had always assumed he was just a "dumb hillbilly" (his words). From then on, for the rest of his life, he sent flowers to the woman who diagnosed him every year on her birthday. He was so grateful he went on to finish college, get a MA, and taught school for many years.

My friend's funeral was standing room only, and many people went up to speak on how he had touched their lives in profound ways. I never heard him say a bad thing about anyone, and he had a way of making anyone feel at ease in his presence. He was one of the finest people I've ever known, and I'm literally in tears as I type this.
Old 10-03-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Here's a little about one of my best friends, a guy who sadly passed a couple of months ago. Some of these things I didn't learn about him until his funeral:

- Every year he took his neighbor and bought him a Christmas tree, because my friend had money and a truck, and his neighbor had neither.

- When he was around 12 years old (this would have been about 1962 or so) he quit both his church and the Boy Scouts, because he found out neither would let black people in. "I thought that was what you were supposed to be against", was his statement to both.

- As an adult he was diagnosed as dyslexic, whereas before he had always assumed he was just a "dumb hillbilly" (his words). From then on, for the rest of his life, he sent flowers to the woman who diagnosed him every year on her birthday. He was so grateful he went on to finish college, get a MA, and taught school for many years.

My friend's funeral was standing room only, and many people went up to speak on how he had touched their lives in profound ways. I never heard him say a bad thing about anyone, and he had a way of making anyone feel at ease in his presence. He was one of the finest people I've ever known, and I'm literally in tears as I type this.
Wow, now that's the way to be remembered. For your kind spirit, not your material possessions.
Old 10-03-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get out of LA once in a while. Here people say hi to me and I don't even know them. They just say hi because we are in the same town. It gets annoying.
Old 10-03-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I live up in the Northeast, where it's a rarity. But I must say my Sign Language professor, who's deaf, is one of the most sincerly nice and caring people I've ever met. He really takes an interest in all the students' lives (which can be tough when you're trying to explain things to him and don't know how to say something) but nearly everyone that takes his courses won't take the next ones without him because he's so good at it. Great guy.
Old 10-03-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know a few.
Old 10-04-05, 03:12 PM
Suspended

were you wearing clothes at the time?
Old 10-04-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The only one I know is you THEEK*

*except of course, when you're threatening to beat up poor defenseless delivery boys
Old 10-04-05, 03:41 PM

my best friend from High School who I recently reconnected with. I now know why he and I got along so well.
Old 10-04-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Being nice isn't all it's cracked up to be. Before you know it, you're getting hate mail from someone who hates you because you're too nice and you try too hard to be everyone's friend. There's an upside to being an asshat, I guess.

Old 10-04-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I know some sincerely kind people, and I say UP THEIR BUTTS!!!

You heard me.
Old 10-04-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this said Know any sincerely blind people?

I wondered who knew people that faked being blind.
Old 10-04-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I know a couple of people who sincerely try to be kind...
Old 10-04-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69
The only one I know is you THEEK*

*except of course, when you're threatening to beat up poor defenseless delivery boys
JOEBLOW???

OH, MAN!!!

Long time no blab!!!

Always good to see you within the confines of an Edit King® Thread Production!!!

THEEK!
Old 10-04-05, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I know some sincerely kind people, and I say UP THEIR BUTTS!!!

You heard me.
Oooh, kvrdave, the gay bi-Christian!

Chris
Old 10-04-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

It's just a saying....really....guys???
Old 10-04-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My maternal grandmother is one of the kindest, sweetest people on this earth...which is why other people have to step in when she lets certain family members take advantage of that kindness (though, to her credit, she's getting better at weeding out those who are not worthy of her generosity).
Old 10-04-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
It's just a saying....really....guys???
*runs around the forum*

Dave's caught teh gay! Dave's caught teh gay!!!
Old 10-04-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here? No.
Old 10-04-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope not a one.
Old 10-05-05, 01:37 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Yes. She's beautiful, wonderful, and from Argentina. Fernanda is the kindest, most generous soul I've ever known, and she is my good friend's wife. Lucky bastard.
Old 10-05-05, 02:30 AM

Not to poop on your cupcakes, but they were all working at the grocery store when you were shopping?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.