Old 10-03-05, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, ulcers are NOT caused by stress!

I thought this was interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051003/...el_medicine_dc

Ulcer bug Australians win Nobel medicine prize

By Patrick Lannin
1 hour, 27 minutes ago

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Two Australians won the Nobel prize for medicine on Monday for showing that a bacterium rather than stress causes stomach inflammation and ulcers, after one of them drank a witches' brew of bacteria to prove the point.

Experts said the discovery of the Helicobacter pylori bacterium by Barry Marshall and Robin Warren in 1982 was met with skepticism by the medical community, which did not think bacteria could survive in the acid conditions of the stomach.

Marshall resorted to drinking a culture of the bacteria to give himself an ulcer and then to treat himself.

The findings eventually forced drug firms to rethink treatment of a condition that affects millions of people in a market worth billions of dollars.

"Thanks to the pioneering discovery by Marshall and Warren, peptic ulcer disease is no longer a chronic, frequently disabling condition, but a disease that can be cured by a short regimen of antibiotics and acid secretion inhibitors," said the Nobel Assembly of Stockholm's Karolinska Institute.

Warren, 68, and Marshall, 54, share the 10 million crowns prize.

Warren said he and Marshall were sitting in a restaurant in Perth, Western Australia, when he got the call from Stockholm telling him they had won the prize.

"I was shocked," Warren was quoted by Swedish news agency TT as saying. "When they first rang, I did not believe that it was true, that it really was the Nobel committee."

Lord May of Oxford, president of Britain's Royal Society of leading scientists, said Marshall's "extraordinary act" of becoming his own guinea pig showed outstanding dedication.

With some scientists calling their findings "preposterous," Marshall drank a broth of bacteria to show that the presence of H pylori in people with ulcers was no coincidence.

"I planned to give myself an ulcer, then treat myself, to prove that H. pylori can be a pathogen in normal people," he told a scientific review.

'TEMPORARY INFECTION'

"I thought about it for a few weeks, then decided to just do it. Luckily, I only developed a temporary infection."

Suffering stomach pain, nausea and vomiting, he underwent an endoscopy which showed the distinctive spiral-shaped E pylori crowding around the inflammation in his stomach. His wife urged him to think of his children and get treatment -- which he did.

Warren never believed he would win the prize.

"I thought it was a new and exciting discovery, but I did not believe that it was the type of discovery that one got the Nobel prize for," he was quoted by TT as saying.

Professor Brian Spratt, a molecular microbiologist at Imperial College London, said the two had "a hell of a job" convincing people about their research.

"Drug companies had to radically change their approach from containing ulcers with antacids to treating with antibiotics. Ulcers predispose people to gastric cancer -- so antibiotics also prevent cancer," he added.

Australians have been on Nobel Medicine prize-winning teams previously -- Sir Howard Florey in 1945, Sir Frank Macfarlane Burnet in 1960, Sir John Eccles in 1963 and Peter Doherty in 1996. But this is the first time an all-Australian team has won.

Warren and Marshall were working at the Royal Perth Hospital in Western Australia when they made the H pylori discovery.

Due to their work ulcers are commonly treated with a course of antibiotics, plus drugs to control the production of acid in the stomach or heal any damage done by the ulcer.

The market for stomach treatments is worth $20 billion a year, said a spokesman for Anglo-Swedish group AstraZeneca 9ANZ.L: , which competes with U.S. Abbott Laboratories 9ABT.N: and Japan's Takeda 94502.T:.

(Additional reporting by Niklas Pollard, Stephen Brown, Daniel Frykholm and Peter Starck)

Back in the late 80's, when I was actually doing payroll and working 50 to 60 hours a week, I got what I thought was an ulcer, but it turned out to be acid reflux (long before it became a common term on commercials).

So, it is interesting to think that for many years everyone thought that stress caused ulcers, but now we know better.

Chris
Old 10-03-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The most interesting thing to me is that this is very old news. Not sure why they are just now winning an award for this discovery.
Old 10-03-05, 12:21 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought this was pretty common knowledge.

However I don't think stress or other factors have been eliminated as causes, just that a bacterial infection often appears to be associated with ulcers and many ulcers can be cured with antibiotics. Maybe the bacteria are better able to do their damage when the person is under stress.
Old 10-03-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn'tknow bacteria caused ulcers. But I agree with the last half of your post. Seems like people who are under a lot of stress tend to get sick, easier. It would make sense that if the immune system is weakened that the ulcer-causing bacteria would have an easier time settling in.
Old 10-03-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by X

However I don't think stress or other factors have been eliminated as causes, just that a bacterial infection often appears to be associated with ulcers and many ulcers can be cured with antibiotics. Maybe the bacteria are better able to do their damage when the person is under stress.
Yeah that's what I thought.
Old 10-03-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X
Agreed.
Old 10-03-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
as did i. the initial work into h. pylori and ulcers is around 20y old (IIRC).
Old 10-03-05, 04:06 PM

Okay, okay, okay, point taken!

I'm livin' in the 80's

Chris
Old 10-03-05, 04:17 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

In this country a significant portion of ulcers are caused by NSAIDs like Aspirin, Ibuprofen etc..
Initially when this was presented, Marshall used to be laughed out of conferences.
Old 10-03-05, 04:22 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by bhk
In this country a significant portion of ulcers are caused by NSAIDs like Aspirin, Ibuprofen etc..
Yes. I got a nasty bleeding ulcer from a prescribed anti-inflammatory drug. Healed right up when I stopped taking it.
Old 10-03-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most recipients do not receive their award until several years after their discovery. Most discoveries worthy of a nobel prize must withstand years of intense scrutiny before the significance of their work is realized. Believe me, the scientific community is very critical of novel concepts and ideas.

As far as ulcers, h. pylori is not the only cause. As others have mentioned, stress, certain drugs, and poor diet can cause an ulcer. Interestingly, it is also thought that genetics may play a role in ulcers.
Old 10-03-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
Initially when this was presented, Marshall used to be laughed out of conferences.
What about Low dose Aspirin regimens? I've been taking 81 miligrams for heart/stroke health for about a year now. I haven't had any problems thus far...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-03-05 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-03-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
Most recipients do not receive their award until several years after their discovery. Most discoveries worthy of a nobel prize must withstand years of intense scrutiny before the significance of their work is realized. Believe me, the scientific community is very critical of novel concepts and ideas.

As far as ulcers, h. pylori is not the only cause. As others have mentioned, stress, certain drugs, and poor diet can cause an ulcer. Interestingly, it is also thought that genetics may play a role in ulcers.
Yep. Wasn't John Nash (beautiful mind) awarded decades after he came up with Game Theory?
Old 10-03-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
What about Low dose Aspirin regimens? I've been taking 81 miligrams for heart/stroke health for about a year now. I haven't had any problems thus far...
Normally 81mg does not increase the chance of ulcers in otherwise healthy people. Have you ever had an ulcer or stomach/gastrointestinal problem? If not, then you should be fine on 81mg. It is usually the higher doses of aspirin like that found in Excedrin (250mg) that CAN cause ulcers...but that does not mean it will cause an ulcer. There are alot of different factors that can contribute to the start of an ulcer.
Old 10-04-05, 12:27 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Any dose of aspiring can cause ulcers, even the coated type. The people that are the highest risk for developing ulcers from medication like aspirin are the elderly and those that have had a risk of ulcers caused by aspirin like medications in the past.

Stress and poor diet can cause worsening of acid-reflux disease, which can cause symptoms similar to ulcers but it isn't the same disease.
In Europe, H.pylori accounts for about 98% of duodenal ulcers not caused by aspirin wheras in the US, that figure is somewhat lower(around 70% last I remember), meaning that in the US, there are some people who have ulcers that we can't figure out what caused them.
Old 10-04-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by X

That is an excellent point. I think virtually all infections are in at least some way affected by stress level and general health. Something that the general public never thinks about. General health and well being can do things that medicine cannot. But the public wants a pill for everything anyways.

It might be that H. pylori is like shingles in that once infection has occured the infectious agent lives in a dormant state. Stress could weaken the immune system to the point where an active infection can occur.
Old 10-04-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old news.
Old 10-04-05, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by criptik28
Old news.
Okay, okay, okay!

I get it! Everyone but me knew about this in the 80's!

Chris