Reload this Page >

My conversation with a door-to-door magazine seller

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-02-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A girl, probably nineteen, came to my door last night.

"Hi! I'm with the National Association of Whatever, and I'm going around finding out about the cool jobs that people have!"

"Okay."

"It's been fun meeting all kinds of friendly, non-violent people -- you are non-violent, right?"

(I laugh noncommittally.)

"Er... so... what cool job do you have?"

"I'm a consultant. Online stuff."

"Oh, so... like, selling Mary Kay? Those are the only consultants I know of."

"No, not like selling Mary Kay... so do you have a catalog of magazines I'm supposed to look at?"

(She feigns ignorance for a few seconds.) "Okay, yeah, it's right here. We're competing for this awesome vacation! (She shows me a picture of a cruise ship with the words, "$5,000 VACATION!" above it. No doubt she has spent many nights staring longingly at the photo.) So, can I put you down for ten?"

"No. But I'd like to ask you a few questions about your job. For starters, how many hours a week do you work?"

(She seems confused, as if she's never thought about it before.)

"Do you mean how many hours a day I work?"

"Sure."

"Well, let's see, I get up at around 10 in the morning, and we sell from 10:30 to noon. Then we go back out from 2-9 or so."

"And how many days a week do you work?"

"Six."

"And how much do they pay you for the 50 hours a week you work?"

"Oh, we get paid in points. But they give us an allowance each day for food. And we get to stay in a hotel."

"And how many people can win this trip? Does everyone get it once they get a certain number of points, or..?"

"Well, only one person can win."

"And how have you been doing this? Weeks, months?"

"I don't really know anymore! (laughs) Months, definitely. I suppose someone could keep doing it for years until they win."

"But... the chance of you winning seems incredibly small."

(She looks genuinely sad for a moment, like I killed her puppy.) "Yeah..."

"It seems to me that it would be better to work somewhere full-time for a little while. You'd work less, and you could save all of your money and then have a 100% chance of going on vacation. Plus, you could buy whatever else you wanted along the way."

(She pauses, then her brain filters out my statement.) "This is really addicting, you know! By the way, if I sell ten subscriptions I'm done for the night, and we can go on my trip together!"

"Sorry, I'm not interested."

"Are you sure? Even one or two?"

"I'll buy ten subscriptions in exchange for sex."

"Okay..."

Just kidding on the last part. Although I sort of got the disturbing impression that she would go that far to get her points. Bizarre.

What could possibly motivate someone to work so much for free? What happens when they want to quit, and are halfway across the country? It practically sounded like a cult. I sort of felt bad for her. Though not bad enough to buy a magazine, of course.
Old 10-02-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To get that impression and not try, well, you are not a man.
Old 10-02-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

(I laugh noncommittally.)
Old 10-02-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So they're only working for food, a hotel stay and points that can be entered into a draw for a chance at a trip?

Do they get commission on the magazines they sell, too?
Old 10-02-05, 04:29 PM

These people came to my house selling mags, My wife is all heart and wanted to help and bought only one sub. I talked her down from 2-3. Then of course I found this:

Rip off report

Still waiting for the sub to kick in, not holding my breath
Old 10-02-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's mine:

Him: Hi, how you doing today?
Me: there's a no soliciting sign on my door (grumpy face, kids screaming in the background)
Him: Oh, I'm not selling anything.
Me: Uh-huh (resists the temptation to ask him if it says "stupid" on my forehead)
Me: Why are you here?
Him: I'm going to school to be a [whatever] and I'm out practicing my communication skills. How I'm doing so far?
Me: blank stare
Him: Well, *ahem*, in order to pay for my school, I'm out giving good people like yourself the oppertunity to save over 50% on their favorite magazines, you know, the ones you're already buying at the grocery story?
Me: blank stare, yell at kids to settle down
Him: I have all of your favorites here, parenting ones, stuff for the kids...
Me: blank stare
Him: So, can I show you what I have here so you can help support me in my schooling?
Me: blank stare.....no, I don't read magazines (starts to shut the door)
Him: Really? Not a one? I find that hard to believe!
Me: I'm sorry you feel I'm a liar. (shuts the door)

I'm so mean.
Old 10-02-05, 04:51 PM

I've thought about doing this. Then I realize I hate it when I'm working or at home and random people talk to me about things I don't need. It's at that point I stop thinking about doing it. I don't want to be that guy. Unless there are hot moms who will offer to buy 3 subs for sex. Then I'm down.
Old 10-02-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
"Sorry, I'm not interested."

"Are you sure? Even one or two?"

"I'll buy ten subscriptions in exchange for sex."

"Okay..."

Just kidding on the last part.
Yeaaaaah, Riiighhht!

LIAR!CONFESS!CONFESS AND LET YOUR SOUL BE FREE!
Old 10-02-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
was her name steve?
Old 10-02-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate how they try to act like it's some kind of survery or something when actually they're just trying to sell magazines. I got suckered into one of the their little "surveys" one time, and then they have the nerve to get mad at me when I don't want their magazines, like I've led them along and now I'm trying to back out. I bet that really works on some people.
Old 10-02-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigPete
To get that impression and not try, well, you are not a man.
She wasn't hot. That's against my ethics, knave!

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 10-02-05 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by solipsta
So they're only working for food, a hotel stay and points that can be entered into a draw for a chance at a trip?
Yes, that's it! No commission or anything. Although I thought about it later and realized that there's probably lots of drinking, drugs, and sex that happens in the evenings, since they're traveling around with the same co-ed group and have no bills-- wait, why was this bad? (Runs off to answer ad in the paper)
Old 10-02-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rip Off Report is funny because people are so stupid.

If they can use that website can't they figure out that you can get many magazines for free or for a few bucks on eBay?
Old 10-02-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

" Hello, I used to be addicted to crack...."
Old 10-03-05, 12:02 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I usually just slam the door when I realize I don't know them
Old 10-03-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually just don't answer the door. I live in an apartment complex, so it's pretty easy to hear these people go to other doors and give their pitch before they ever get to mine, so it's pretty easy to sit back and ignore the knocking while knowing my fellow tenants had to suffer through it.

My favorite was I could hear my neighbor across the hall being given the whole speech and he seemed to be genuinely interested and told them to come back in a few minutes and he'd be ready with the money or whatever. They knocked on my door, and I ignored it, then they went to another unit in the apartment compled, came back about 20 minutes later and knocked on my neighbor's door. He had never gone anywhere, but now he was not answering his door either.

But now that I know if it's a hot girl and there is a potential for sex for ten subscriptions.....
Old 10-03-05, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sloth911
Rip Off Report is funny because people are so stupid.

If they can use that website can't they figure out that you can get many magazines for free or for a few bucks on eBay?
That what I tried to tell my wife, later I found for the same price I could get 3 mag subscriptions,
But it was only 20 bucks at least
Old 10-03-05, 02:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

last time i was visited by one of these kids it went like this....

HER: Hi, I'm from the...
ME: No, thanks.
DOOR: Slam!
Old 10-03-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These kids are a hoot. I enjoy letting them go through the whole story, and then shutting them down. I list off all of the free magazines I get, which usually takes a couple of minutes, and then say I don't need anything. Some of them use the excuse that I could send it to charity, but I counter with "I'd rather send them some clothes."

I've had one girl ask me for acid, another girl ask me to party with her group at a hotel, and a guy tell me he could fix my car for me if I left it with him. Uh, yeah, I'll be sure to do that.

I guess if I was 17 or 18, had no ambitions, I might do it.
Old 10-03-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I never even knew about these door to door magazine salespeople until last weekend.

I was on a golf course in belleville, nj and my 3some was paired with a single. Amongst the smalltalk it turned out the guy was a d2d mag salesman from OREGON here on business.

He swore there was money in it. What a horrible life that must be.
Old 10-03-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by blakader
Ummm...uhhhh...wow: http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/rep...poff143517.htm

Old 10-03-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid

What on earth is going on with these people?
Old 10-03-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if that lucky winner of mag sales had a all-paid trip to Bali.
Old 10-03-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

one time 2 friends and I were at another friends house (call him L), and two, decently looking 19y/o come selling magazine.. Dumbass friend T invites them in.. blah blah blah schpiel for 15 minutes... asks friend F "do you want 4?" he replies "Sorry I am unemployed, and I am only here because I can't afford food, so I am eating L's food.." turns to me, and I reply "Sorry, I am unemployed too and just here for the free alcohol." Dumbass friend T then says "I am just here to check out the chicks!" (the girls didn't even realize he was jokingly refering to them..

another 15 minutes goes by, and guilty sap L decides to buy Maxim, FHM, and car and driver... after the girls leave friend F and I are laughing at L and tell him that we both just signed up for 2 free years of Maxim, FHM, and others. He is pissed because he spent over $50. I guess you had to be there, but it was funny, and free and we got to observe some minor sexual harrasment booze too!
Old 10-03-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Someone needs to make a movie about these people.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.