Anyone ever have a backyard Pig Roast?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-01-05, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comments, suggestions?

a friend and I are looking into doing this, and want to make sure we do it right. We need to find a good grating to suspend across some concrete blocks that the pig will lay on, but it can't be galvanized, painted or treated with any chemicals for health reasons..........We found some rusted wire grating rolls at the hardware store, is that safe to eat off of?
Old 10-01-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most people use perforated material which boils down to hot rolled steel (carbon). Just make sure it's clean. Most people pick from the inside of the pig so whatever is touching the grate won't be eaten anyway.
Old 10-01-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rust will not be a problem. Just take a wire brush and give it a good brushing to remove any loose rust then wipe it down with some cooking oil and a cloth. If the wire is not very strong you can run some rebar (metal rods) across the middle in 2 or 3 places for support.

I have never cooked a pig but my family will throw a big chicken cookout 2 or 3 times a year. We usually cook 3-4 cases of chickens on my dads portable cooker. We have had the cooker for years but if I remember correctly it was made of stainless steel.

Your idea sounds awesome!!!
Old 10-01-05, 08:42 PM

http://www.lacajachina.com/
Old 10-02-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have some friends who just wrap the pig in burlap, stick it in a pit in the ground, cover it up with kindling, and slow roast the thing underground.
Old 10-02-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an uncle that does a pig roast every year. He has a special made cooker on wheels that has a motorized spit. He'll also cook a turkey and venison roast inside the pig. It is just awesome.
Old 10-02-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never had one but I went to one once where the pig was thrown on a picnic table and was torn apart my people getting their own meat. I got there after it was torn apart and it looked like the pig got chased down and devoured by a pack of hyenas.
Old 10-02-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When i was younger, whenever we had a big get-together, my dad and his friends used to make lechon (roasted pig on a spit) in the backyard. They used a motorized spit instead, but if you've got enough beer, i guess you could get a couple of friends to turn it for you. i've also helped out at a couple of parties with kalua pig. That's a whole lotta work, but the results are -worthy. Another advantage the spit has over an imu/pit is that you get crunchy skin.
Old 10-03-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex
I have an uncle that does a pig roast every year. He has a special made cooker on wheels that has a motorized spit.
My parents had a pig roast once, and used a spit like that. They just rented it somewhere. It worked really well, and the pig was awesome.
Old 10-03-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for inviting all of us! How do I get to your house?

And yes, pig roasts are great. Make it a pot-luck (everybody brings a side and their own beverage), and talk to local farmers about buying one of their pigs directly. 'Course, you'll have to clean it, but you'll save some good money, you can find a fair price for a pig by looking at the hog futures.
Old 10-03-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been to one before and the pig was phenomenal. I've wanted to do one for a long time, but I've had trouble getting it organized.
Old 10-03-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I might going to one of these on Saturday. Should be interesting to see how it works.
Old 10-03-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From observing the eyes of one of the locals in that pic, I think the photographer didn't make it.
Old 10-03-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by talemyn
I've been to one before and the pig was pignomenal. I've wanted to do one for a long time, but I've had trouble getting it organized.
Fixed. Lame, I know.
Old 10-03-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one time when I was in the Ukraine I went to this restaraunt where all the European heads of state went to while on a trip there. They roasted some pork kebabs for us, and they were awesome. Went great with all the vodka we drank that night.
Old 10-03-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a pic of my uncle's rig:

...and the pig as it's being carved:

Old 10-03-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Fixed. Lame, I know.
<talemyn borrows joltadict's foot and uses it to kick DVD Polizei in the junk>
Old 10-03-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We might do one for Christmas this year... it's Hawaiian Christmas.

Every year someone in the family picks a country/culture and we find recipes from the region, decorate accordingly, etc. A fairly new, but sustained tradition... 8 years or so now.

(Previous years that I can remember were: India, Greece, Italy, France, Gambia, Japan, Korean)
Old 10-03-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know its not the same, but bring $150 (Depending on size) into chinatown and pick one up already cooked.