Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Combo thread: What to do near Newport Beach/while wife's away in Newport Beach

Old 09-30-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Combo thread: What to do near Newport Beach/while wife's away in Newport Beach

Pretty simple really.

Part 1:
Wifey just found out that she's going to Costa Mesa/Newport Beach next week, Sunday-Thursday for work. (yep, that's 48 hour notice)

She's not familiar with the area, is going with actually a customer of her company. She was thinking they "didn't need a car since they will be providing lunch at the hotel (don't know which one)", but I would think the cabride from LAX would be not worth it vs. just renting a car and having the ability to cruise up the coast one evening to watch a sunset, or maybe venture to Hollywood if they are brave.

But she probably won't want to go too far. So I'm thinking anything within, say, 20-30 minutes might be on the agenda. They are supposedly busy "all day" at this training/conference/whatever it is, so we are talking after 5.

Any special (non-pricey) restaurants she shouldn't miss? She loves tex-mex, pretty much anything, but I'm not sure if she likes Indian food.

Anything to see that we wouldn't have to worry about closing at 5 or so?

Should she head to the nearest beach access point, or is there an even better place close?

Part 2:
I'm gonna play single dad to a high-school aged internet chat junkie. So the usually suggestions of pr0n-a-thons probably won't help.

But at least I get a few uninterrupted MLB playoff games while she's out.

I'll miss her though.
Old 09-30-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do go to the area too much, but I like the Newport Harbor area. There's a good italian restaurant right on the water called Villa Nova.

http://www.villanovarestaurant.com/
Old 09-30-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alberto's
Old 09-30-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hide the credit cards. Newport Beach is full of nice/expensive shops.
Old 09-30-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First of all, she will definitely need a car.

Restaurants

Villa Nova, along with several other nice yummy places are all within a 4 block area along Pacific Coast Highway. Theres also a Joes Crab Shack, Chart House, Rusty Pelican, Margaritaville, etc. Also, if she likes seafood, she should cross the bridge from Newport Boulevard and PCH and go to The Cannery or my favorite, Bluewater Grill. There are also several bars/restaurants further down Newport Boulevard and Balboa Island, but I dont spend too much time there.

If they are into art, they can head south on PCH for about a 30 minute coastal drive to Laguna Beach. They have a gazillion art galleries there, along with more awesome restaurants, shops, etc. They can also park and walk just about everywhere in Laguna, including Main Beach.

Ill try to think of some other stuff, too.
Old 09-30-05, 10:23 PM

Vietnamese food in Little Saigon (areas around bolsa and brookhurst ~ Westminster and Brookhurst)? It's about 20 ~ 40 min from Newport Beach if she's around Fashion Island without heavy traffic.

Pho.

Alerto's which is kinda like Alberto's, but I perfer Alerto's.

In N' Out?

ergh, ya, that's about it, Long Beach has a Roscoe's if you want Chicken and Waffles. I thnk $15 for a whole chicken + 1 waffle. Good fried chicken though.
Old 10-01-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She could always search out the Bluth family and go shopping at Fashion Island.
Old 10-01-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well...

It seems that her location is basically right across the 405 from John Wayne/OC Airport. I checked Mapquest and it looks like places that HC was talking about are just a quick 7 mile trip mostly down 55 to the beach. Villa Nova seems to be about in the same spot.

Looks like the same distance, though a slightly different direction, to Fashion Island.

Is Alberto's/Alerto's burrito places? Are they on the dining same style as a Chipotle?

Are the art galleries in Laguna Beach open in the evenings? (can anyone name any of them so I can look them up?)
Old 10-01-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She's 1/3 mile from two different Carl's Jrs. I love Carl's Jr.

There is a Bluewater Grill in Costa Mesa 1/2 mile from her hotel. Is the food the same? Is the location in Newport Beach worth the commute to it?

She thinks her company is gonna cheap out and not offer a rental, since they are so close to the airport, and her training class is like within walking distance (and there is a shuttle). I told her to screw them, get one anyway, and give the receipt with her meal receipts.

Anyone know where that place is that Sandy and Jimmy Cooper opened? I hear Mama's meatloaf recipe is out of this world. Maybe she'll bump into Julie Cooper-Nichol. x 2

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 10-01-05 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by happycamper
...go to The Cannery
Here's a picture from tomorrow.

Old 10-01-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For places closer to her hotel, there's an El Torito Grill restaurant that might even be within walking distance. Otherwise, one exit north on the 405 off Bristol is South Coast Plaza, which is a big indoor mall. There's a really good Persian restaurant near there named Darya.

If she doesn't mind driving a bit more then Fashion Island is probably preferable to South Coast Plaza. It's nicer and it's an outdoor mall so if the weather's good, it's quite pleasant to walk around and window shop.

If she wants to check out the beach and watch a sunset, both Newport Pier or Huntington Beach Pier are good. I think the Bluth banana stand is supposed to be set at the Newport Pier. There's an Italian restaurant there called Il Faro that I like.

The food at Villanova is pretty good, but I've always thought of that restaurant as more of a date place. It's got the waterfront view seating with dim lighting thing going on. And also, is it just me or does it seem like that restaurant is THE place for older men to take their "nieces"?
Old 10-01-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go to Coronado Island and check out Dick Dale's bar (if its still there)

Go to Santa Ana and eat at Guillermo's La Fiesta (if its still there)
Old 10-01-05, 09:09 PM

Alerto's is pretty ghetto as it comes, but $3.75 for a big carne asada burrito it's worth it. I don't think Alberto's is much different, except their burrito's don't come with guacamole, I think.

If you end up going to HB Pier, and willing to drive a bit more, you can hit up the Shore House in Seal Beach, nice big sandwiches, and the prices are pretty reasonable. Open 24hours too if you get stir crazy in the room.

Of course these are the places that aren't too special either, just places to eat and relax.

THe only one I can think that's special for food is Pho Nguyen Hue in the corner of Bolsa (1st) and Ward. The best for Chicken Pho.
Old 10-03-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Y2K-dont know too much about the art galleries in Laguna, but heres a page from citysearch that might be able to help if shes interested...

http://orangecounty.citysearch.com/s...=sec&started=1

The listing starts smack dab in the middle of Laguna Beach.

Never been to the Bluewater in CM, however, the one in Newport is right next to the Cannery, so its a similar view to what you posted up above.

If she decided to go to South Coast Plaza, there are ton of restaurants there. My recommendation would be Maggianos or Z Tejas. But SCP is more inland, and not as fun as going down closer to the coast, IMO. As mentioned, Fashion Island is also great, and if the weather is nice, she can walk around outside. Good restaurants there, too, and they have some of the good ol standbys...Cheesecake Factory, CPK, PF Changs. Just outside of FI is another small shopping center with a Tommy Bahama store and restaurant. The food there is awesome.

I work right next to one of 3 Carls in the area.
Old 10-03-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by look4sheep
Alerto's is pretty ghetto as it comes, but $3.75 for a big carne asada burrito it's worth it. I don't think Alberto's is much different, except their burrito's don't come with guacamole, I think.
Its been a while for me, but alberto's had quacamole (guac, C.A., onions, and cilantro only I thought). Ghetto is pretty much the description, 24-hour walk up window... I don't know about Alerto's
Old 10-12-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just as a followup, they did end up renting a car.

She ended up eating at the Cannery. Said it was yummy, but didn't visit the website before she took the crew there and there was quite some shock at the meal prices. $60 entrees are apparently the norm there.

She also visited the In-n-Out burger, but I think only once.

They drove to the Fashion Mall, but since they didn't want to be the only non-Ferrari in the parking lot, they didn't stop.

Though, looking at the cc bill, they did stop at a Nordstrom (though we have one here) and at some place called "Travel Traders".

They went to some Italian place, but I don't think it was near the water, and she doesn't think it was called Villa Nova. It was probably closer to Santa Ana. She doesn't really remember the name of the place.

I also see a stop at a place called "Scotts Seafood Grill" that doesn't look too cheap.

She will go back for another class. Hopefully I'll have some accrued vacation by then and go with...
Old 10-12-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure Ryan and Marissa could show you around.
Old 10-12-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you and/or your wife are there again, definitely rent a car. Spend a day driving down the coast highway. It's really beautiful. Also, the Newport Beach Hotel and Tennis Club is a great place to stay. My room opened right on to the golf course, and it was a very nice view. They have a tower as well, but where I stayed it was 3 story building that seemed a little cosier and more private. I had business across the street from Fashion Island, but I did pop in there. I noticed the same thing about the cars in the parking lot. That area is just dripping cash.
Old 10-12-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scotts is awesome, too. Closer to South Coast Plaza.

Perhaps the italian food place was Maggianos?
Old 10-12-05, 03:43 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andicus
I noticed the same thing about the cars in the parking lot. That area is just dripping cash.
That's one reason I moved away from there. Mercedes was called the "Newport Chevy". It affects the people, and not in a good way.
Old 10-12-05, 04:05 PM
Cool New Member

I would visit this site http://www.laokay.com/oc2do.htm
It will give you all the list of restaurants, entertainment, etc in Newport Beach and Orange County area.